Jump to content

Mechanical Obliterator Redux (40k)


Recommended Posts



The painting funk has lasted for 4 months, and I need to get my cranium out of my anal orifice and start painting again....



While on the hangouts with some folks that play 40K, we have been talking about stuff, and I went to look for a figure that I knew I had, and didn't want, that @Chaoswolf thought was cool, and found the following:


Now this is the basis for my mechanical Obliterators that I painted way back in 2003? and brought to Reapercon last year


where they got a silver medal in the open category


Speaking with one of the judges afterwards (@dks) we discussed them, and the painting dragged them down, as I said old paintjob...


Well, with my painting funk in its 4th month, I was thinking that maybe, I could re do a new one from scratch, and with all the sculpting things I have learned, as well as painting techniques, I might be able to do better...


Now Reaper forbids entering the same piece twice, but this would be a reprisal of something I did years ago....


Would this be legal as a new entry?

@Heisler care to comment?




@Heisler's response

As long as the entry is an entirely new piece and not one of those three then it would be a perfectly legal entry.


My response...

thanks @Heisler

really hoping this will kick out the brain weasel painting funk!


For some reason, I couldn't cross quote so....


It's gonna be ugly for a while....


the raw components:


lots and lots of surface grinding with the Dremel tool, and sore fingers.....


But hopefully, I've learne a bit about painting and sculpting since I did those guys, and this time, there will be only one....


  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, preliminary metal removal do with the Dremel tool....


Kids, don't leave the work station with out it!


2 parts of the torso, one shoulder pad and some other stuff....








and the 3 bits I used...


amidst SOME of the metal shavings....


and that doesn't mention the stuff cut off with an E-Xacto saw....


need to start som partial assembly to check how much more grinding I need to do....


Man, my fingers HURT!!!!!!




but it feels pretty good to be working on something!!!!!!!!!!!!!



ps, sorry for the blurry pics, but I'm kind of out of practice....



Edited by knarthex
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Glad to see you're hobbying again!

I missed your projects.




Death to the False Emperor!


*** Wut? You guys didn't know I'm evil?***

Given that glitter gets everywhere, yeah, I could see you bring with Chaos. 


Glittery blood for the death gods, make it all beautiful!  ... Or such ::P:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

HOORAY, knarthex! You have been missed, George! If you must paint Space Marines, Chaos (especially Nurglely Chaos) is the way to go.

Have FUN, Old Drow!

Thanks Mal!


I absolutely do NOT do Nurgle.....


The whole reason I do Iron Warriors is that 'they will cut off mutation and replace it with bionics...'

From the fluff....


But to each their own...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, knarthex said:

Thanks Mal!


I absolutely do NOT do Nurgle.....


The whole reason I do Iron Warriors is that 'they will cut off mutation and replace it with bionics...'

From the fluff....


But to each their own...


I don't do Nurgle either, but it is one of those G.W. Thingies that I think is cool. The Adeptus Mech & Orks in 40 K are others I like & don't do.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moar work....


Mold line removal from all over first....

Not really bad overall...

(Thank the Lords of Lead!)


General overview:



All the components....


Some close ups of individual parts:

Right arm parts pined:


Left Arm parts pinned:



I made a mistake in the way I cut the original Dreadnought legs apart, so I have more exposed sculpting to do on this arm...:down:

The Multi Melta (Anti Tank Weapon) with the barrels drilled out, and obstructions to mounting removed...


The Heavy Bolter (Anti Infantry) weapon, same...009.JPG.d313300ae088bfaab860a74a581d9463.JPG


And the Rocket Launcher, (The game calls them Missile Launchers, but that implies that they 'MISS'!011.thumb.JPG.2e3dce4d6d48d12e12aa40ff82fe4af6.JPG



So the next step will be to start pushing putty around, to skin coat, fill gaps, etc.


Gotta say, feels really good to hobby again....


Thanks for looking and comments welcome!



Edited by knarthex
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...