Mechanical Obliterator Redux (40k)

knarthex

so....

The painting funk has lasted for 4 months, and I need to get my cranium out of my anal orifice and start painting again....

So....

While on the hangouts with some folks that play 40K, we have been talking about stuff, and I went to look for a figure that I knew I had, and didn't want, that @Chaoswolf thought was cool, and found the following:

001.thumb.JPG.a2ba640b47ec87a55b1a3bd31d395173.JPG

Now this is the basis for my mechanical Obliterators that I painted way back in 2003? and brought to Reapercon last year

mspopen_image.php?file=2107a.jpg&size=detail

where they got a silver medal in the open category

Speaking with one of the judges afterwards (@dks) we discussed them, and the painting dragged them down, as I said old paintjob...

Well, with my painting funk in its 4th month, I was thinking that maybe, I could re do a new one from scratch, and with all the sculpting things I have learned, as well as painting techniques, I might be able to do better...

Now Reaper forbids entering the same piece twice, but this would be a reprisal of something I did years ago....

Would this be legal as a new entry?

@Heisler care to comment?

George

@Heisler's response

As long as the entry is an entirely new piece and not one of those three then it would be a perfectly legal entry.

My response...

thanks @Heisler

really hoping this will kick out the brain weasel painting funk!

For some reason, I couldn't cross quote so....

It's gonna be ugly for a while....

the raw components:

001.thumb.JPG.8fa1883471435ea4e064ccfba8f1df36.JPG

lots and lots of surface grinding with the Dremel tool, and sore fingers.....

But hopefully, I've learne a bit about painting and sculpting since I did those guys, and this time, there will be only one....

• Like 15

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, preliminary metal removal do with the Dremel tool....

Kids, don't leave the work station with out it!

2 parts of the torso, one shoulder pad and some other stuff....

002.thumb.JPG.6004ac67d66b1197555d77ad39ce857b.JPG

003.thumb.JPG.5e0b7d2d38d86dc84b165108efffc8b7.JPG

004.thumb.JPG.fb975933940afbc2b602355b7a4e621b.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.9efaf6f4f72ddb17eb9c40679356cddc.JPG

006.JPG.2d93c65e9ac0ecf986d91febd9f594e1.JPG

007.JPG.769c43044b316afa10c762256c4ab91e.JPG

and the 3 bits I used...

008.thumb.JPG.3aab1aa77ba914285a0b5d78912d92d9.JPG

amidst SOME of the metal shavings....

and that doesn't mention the stuff cut off with an E-Xacto saw....

need to start som partial assembly to check how much more grinding I need to do....

Man, my fingers HURT!!!!!!

george

but it feels pretty good to be working on something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps, sorry for the blurry pics, but I'm kind of out of practice....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Glad to see you're hobbying again!

I missed your projects.

CCCCHHHAAAAOOOOOOOSSSSSSSS!!!!

Death to the False Emperor!

*** Wut? You guys didn't know I'm evil?***

Given that glitter gets everywhere, yeah, I could see you bring with Chaos. 

Glittery blood for the death gods, make it all beautiful!  ... Or such ::P:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

HOORAY, knarthex! You have been missed, George! If you must paint Space Marines, Chaos (especially Nurglely Chaos) is the way to go.

Have FUN, Old Drow!

Thanks Mal!

I absolutely do NOT do Nurgle.....

The whole reason I do Iron Warriors is that 'they will cut off mutation and replace it with bionics...'

From the fluff....

But to each their own...

• Like 3

On 2/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, knarthex said:

Thanks Mal!

I absolutely do NOT do Nurgle.....

The whole reason I do Iron Warriors is that 'they will cut off mutation and replace it with bionics...'

From the fluff....

But to each their own...

I don't do Nurgle either, but it is one of those G.W. Thingies that I think is cool. The Adeptus Mech & Orks in 40 K are others I like & don't do.

• Like 3

Moar work....

Mold line removal from all over first....

Not really bad overall...

(Thank the Lords of Lead!)

General overview:

001.thumb.JPG.659329ac815cdf702205bddb246bd557.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.b4cb26ebafa45856f93b9d42cf516c9e.JPG

All the components....

Some close ups of individual parts:

Right arm parts pined:

003.JPG.481cd18f7382f8945bc3bae60ac95681.JPG004.JPG.68adc62bcf89882083874e092c1e2cb4.JPG

Left Arm parts pinned:

005.JPG.66427dba0cf20c883ee30fbd1d4edd4b.JPG

006.JPG.50b7146d2ca0cd65725d69690d8aa7db.JPG

I made a mistake in the way I cut the original Dreadnought legs apart, so I have more exposed sculpting to do on this arm...:down:

The Multi Melta (Anti Tank Weapon) with the barrels drilled out, and obstructions to mounting removed...

007.JPG.1e15ad2fe41c4615e1380a9c0ecea126.JPG008.JPG.dfbe721359eabb3b2a5c48cfd4b658d6.JPG

The Heavy Bolter (Anti Infantry) weapon, same...009.JPG.d313300ae088bfaab860a74a581d9463.JPG

010.JPG.55fb7f587139dbc37c91ac095d6257b1.JPG

And the Rocket Launcher, (The game calls them Missile Launchers, but that implies that they 'MISS'!011.thumb.JPG.2e3dce4d6d48d12e12aa40ff82fe4af6.JPG

012.JPG.03f45eca06150d6946cf014f48284af1.JPG

So the next step will be to start pushing putty around, to skin coat, fill gaps, etc.

Gotta say, feels really good to hobby again....

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

G

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 11