Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

"Beast from the East" UK winter storm - how are you doing?

Very kind of you to ask, only a couple of inches of snow where I am, but a bitter wind making it feel very cold. Much worse up North and in Central Scotland there is a "Danger of loss of life" warning issued.

Nothing like as bad as many of you suffer in the top half of USA and all of Canada. That doesn't stop a lot of panicking by people who expect to be able to go and buy milk every day. Sadly it also doesn't stop people from driving like idiots either.

In short nothing much to worry about for rational human beings who can read a weather map, but thank you for your concern.

• Like 10

Thanks for the concern! But there's nothing to worry about, at least in this part of the UK.

As I've already moaned about in the Randomness thread, we only got a few inches but everything ground to a halt as always.

• Like 8

Only a thin covering of snow here so far.  More is expected over the next couple of days, but it will probably be thawed by early next week.

Worst case scenario:  If it is bad enough to deter me from going to the supermarket I.... I.... might have to go 2 days without dessert! ::o:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We've got about 8 inches up here in the North East on paths and gardens, but the main roads are pretty much clear. More snow forecast every day for the next week though!

• Like 8

There's about 6 inches of snow in the front garden and drifts of over a foot in the back garden. My front and back steps have pretty much disappeared :wacko:

Public transport is off while the red warning is on. I think it expires about noon, but there was a blizzard blowing the last time I looked outside.

There were a lot of people stuck in their cars overnight not too far from me, so hopefully they're all okay now.

The problem is that it happens infrequently (2010 was the last thing on this scale where I am), so we're never prepared for it :-(

• Like 6

Just cold with a scattering of snow here,

but my brother up in Scotland got 9 inches last night on top of glass like ice so is wisely working from home (well trying to as his young daughters nursery is closed too)

the real problem over here is people driving in weather they just can't cope with and once a road is blocked there's a real problem as a bunch of folk stuck on various motorway overnight last night found out

(maybe modern cars front wheel drive cars and modern low profile tyres are less good on snow and ice? are modern larger, heavier lorries more prone to skidding ? things didn't seem to go so badly wrong in the cold winters of the 70s when I was growing up)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

Just cold with a scattering of snow here,

but my brother up in Scotland got 9 inches last night on top of glass like ice so is wisely working from home (well trying to as his young daughters nursery is closed too)

the real problem over here is people driving in weather they just can't cope with and once a road is blocked there's a real problem as a bunch of folk stuck on various motorway overnight last night found out

(maybe modern cars front wheel drive cars and modern low profile tyres are less good on snow and ice? are modern larger, heavier lorries more prone to skidding ? things didn't seem to go so badly wrong in the cold winters of the 70s when I was growing up)

The vehicles didn't have all the safety amenities that are now mandatory/standard equipment so the drivers were more cautious.

GEM

• Thanks 1

Heh, my neighbours made a snowbear.  At least, I think it's a bear.

5a9a90da8fb56_snowbear.jpg.24c806d4ef189b628704dcc47263f320.jpg

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Happy New Year's Eve everyone. To end the year with a little snow, I completed this base today. I had painted the Yeti two years ago, and he was only lacking a thematic basis. This is the Bones version of 77434, Yeti Chieftain sculpted by Jason Wiebe. The artificial snow is BF4103 from Army Painter Battlefields. The icicles were made with pieces of translucent plastic and gloss Mod Podge.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all.  Another entry in my winter-themed minis.  This guy was intended to serve as the BBEG in my Frostrun campaign.  Kriger was the descendant of a greedy half-giant king who's line had been cursed to undeath.  Kriger sought to lead an army of Draugr and vikings to reclaim his family throne.  This "chaos warrior" model from Bones 4 was perfect.

More Below the Spoiler:

I really like how this guy turned out.  He was one of those minis where I really pushed myself and tried some different things.  I think it shows.  Hopefully I'll get to continue his story, and return to my Frostrun game.  Maybe by then I'll have found some suitable viking-esque warriors to accompany him.

For more of my winter minis, check out my Frostrun Project HERE.
    • By MoonglowMinis
      A winter storm buried my part of the globe in snow last night so I'm filling a bit chilly.  So today's the perfect day to show off these frigid little birds from Bones 4.

More Below the Spoiler:

These were a fun little set, though they took me longer to do than I anticipated.  So much black and white really killed my motivation.  Glad they're done and decently satisfied with the results.  They make a nice addition to my winter collection.  If you want to see more of my wintery minis, check out my ongoing Frostrun Project Here

How's the weather where you live?
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Back again with another recent wintery addition to Frostrun.

Here we have the caribou from EC3D's Wilds of Wintertide Kickstarter which has been beautifully printed from EscharloneGaming on Etsy.

These caribou, or reindeer, are fantastic little models with just enough detail to make painting them a blast, but not so much texture as to make them a pain.  These are the first 3D printed minis I have ever purchased or painted, except for a few Heroforge minis.  I didn't know what to expect from the quality of design or delivery, but was very pleased with the results!

I painted up two variations, one with a lighter coat and a white nose, and another with a darker coat and a black nose.  I was absolutely thrilled with the result and they have made a wonderful addition to my campaign of Frostrun.

More Photos below the spoiler:

I have a handful of other minis from this line also printed by EscharloneGaming and I am looking forward to painting them up as well, when the inspiration finally seizes me.

What are your favorite 3D models?

Check out this WIP for the rest of my Frostrun project.
    • By Gadgetman!
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/waylaid-by-bandits-volume-2/description

Story
      It was the Baron himself who nailed up the poster in Midlam the town square.
      WANTED:  LADY WILDWOOD and sundry associated gang members - For Murder, extortion, petty theft and highway robbery.  REWARD - 10 Gold Coins for Lady Wildwood and 1 Gold Coin per gang member.
      Speculation and rumour was rife!  Who were these new Bandits that were plaguing Midlam?  Who was the mysterious and dangerous Lady Wildwood? It seemed that the town had been under siege, first from Captain Grief's Gang and then the Hobgoblin Rainding Party, and now this gang of merciless women!
      Bounty hunters muttered in dark corners of Inns, looking for information and squads of Town Guard regularly marched out into the surrounding countryside in their pursuit.  
      But still the robberies and raids continued...
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume Two
      A gang of eleven 28mm scale bandits, thugs and ruffians, lead by the Notorious Lady Wildwood, for all of your fantasy miniature games.
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume One
      You can also, should you wish, include our first bandit gang with your pledge.  Captain Grief's Gang is a series of of eleven 28mm scale bandits, thugs and ruffians, including the original stretch goal 'George the Grind'.  You could then mix and match your bandits or have them as deadly rivals!
      Waylaid by Bandits Volume One  

It's only an 11 day  project, so hury up and back. 
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)