3 hours ago, ced1106 said:

I'm too old school for these sort of books. Back when I was a wee little DM, I brought my books around in a backpack where they got all scuffed and damaged. None of these pristine coffee table books with fancy "color" art. And if I had the choice of an adventure book or PDF, I'd choose the PDF because I wouldn't have to lug around an entire year (or more) worth of gaming just for one lousy night. I could also take that PDF and write notes in it, or cut it apart as handouts. When we played RPG's, we'd never think of saying, "Oh! Lovely binding!"

And we liked it that way! :lol:

I'm a bit of a biblophile, so I never write in any of my books. This goes for all books. My textbooks at university were immaculate, while my friends were using highlighters and adding notes all over the place.

That said, over a decade ago I bought the Shackled City Adventure Path hardcover and ran the campaign from start to finish, 1st level to about 19th level, over the course of about 3 years. By the end of the campaign my hardcover was absolutely trashed from continual use, with the front and back covers just hanging on.

I tried to keep it in as good a condition as possible, but it was in my backpack most days going to and from work and got read through an absolute heap. I'm still a biblophile with all my books, but that trashed hardcover has pride of place on my bookshelf as a nice reminder of the workout it got while running the most enjoyable campaign I've ever run or played in.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 5:18 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

I'm a bit of a biblophile, so I never write in any of my books. This goes for all books. My textbooks at university were immaculate, while my friends were using highlighters and adding notes all over the place.

That said, over a decade ago I bought the Shackled City Adventure Path hardcover and ran the campaign from start to finish, 1st level to about 19th level, over the course of about 3 years. By the end of the campaign my hardcover was absolutely trashed from continual use, with the front and back covers just hanging on.

I tried to keep it in as good a condition as possible, but it was in my backpack most days going to and from work and got read through an absolute heap. I'm still a biblophile with all my books, but that trashed hardcover has pride of place on my bookshelf as a nice reminder of the workout it got while running the most enjoyable campaign I've ever run or played in.

I've been ruining Northland Saga for over a year now, and the book still looks nearly new.  This despite, playing (almost) once a week, and some admittedly casual abuse from use.  Heck, my copy of the PF Tome of Horrors Complete looks equally as good, despite getting it way back when it was first published.  It's seen even more usage over the years.  I can't say the same for my copy of the PF Core book, It shows far more damage even though it's not even half as thick as either book. 

Books from Frog God may not be indestructible, but they come awfully close to it. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 9:40 PM, ChaoticBlues said:

I've been ruining Northland Saga for over a year now, and the book still looks nearly new.  This despite, playing (almost) once a week, and some admittedly casual abuse from use.  Heck, my copy of the PF Tome of Horrors Complete looks equally as good, despite getting it way back when it was first published.  It's seen even more usage over the years.  I can't say the same for my copy of the PF Core book, It shows far more damage even though it's not even half as thick as either book. 

Books from Frog God may not be indestructible, but they come awfully close to it. 

Which was why the cs rep at Paizo was surprised that the copy of the PF edition of Rappan Athuk I ordered from Paizo was actually destroyed in transit. I never got to see it, as it got returned to sender by the post office, but apparently it got caught in a sorter and torn apart. When I finally got the replacement copy, I understood why the cs rep at Paizo was so surprised, because the book is built like my old high school textbooks were. And those things were nearly indestructible.

I backed. I probably shouldn't have, but I did. One of these days I'll drag my friends through it. Someday. Otherwise it will join my PF copy on the shelf of unused books, to sit in splendor until I crack it open to peruse every so often.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have this weird feeling that come the next year or so, we will see a Kickstarter for Rappan Athuck in Pathfinder 2e....

The Auld Grump

We can only hope.   Although, I'd expect Icebound, or an updated ToH, to be KS'ed first to gauge interest. 

They'll probably do a new Tome of Horrors first simply to make Rappan Athuk easier to convert. Many of the monsters in RA are pulled from the Tome of Horrors, so converting the monsters makes a lot of sense as a first step.

Doing the Tome first is also what they did with 5e. I had thought that the 5e Tome's estimated ship date was coming up soon, but I just went and looked again and it's actually not until September. Which I think is weird, since that KS ended just before New Year's, while the RA KS is just now about to end with an estimated ship date of August. That said, the new Tome probably has a lot more work involved, since it's literally nothing but stat block conversions and new artwork. The new RA is benefiting from the Tome KS by being able to steal all those converted stat blocks, and then it's largely just a matter of new art. Much of everything else, like the room descriptions, traps, etc, should be able to be reused straight from earlier versions, I'd think. I could be dead wrong, though. I honestly haven't read through my existing copy as much as I would have liked to, since I bought it shortly before my local Pathfinder group fell apart.

Of course, that doesn't account for all the editing and formatting work that goes into a book as well.

• 6 months later...

I've found that you can check if your copy has actually shipped or not by going to backerkit and checking the tracking number. Mine is set to be delivered on Monday!

Edit: 2 hours later, and the delivery estimate is today! It's gonna be here today! It's already out for delivery! I can't wait!

Edited by Unruly

It's here! The Adventures in Zelkor's Ferry book is a whole lot smaller than I thought it'd be, but the Appendices book is bigger than I thought it would be. Adventures in Zelkor's Ferry is supposed to be a couple starter adventures so that you can have level 1 characters start in the area and then progress to level 5-6 and be able to tackle Rappan Athuk proper. The Appendices book is a softcover monster manual that has all the monsters you find in the Rappan Athuk book, as well as some of the contents of both the GM's guide(magic items and diseases) and the Player's Guide(new spells).

20181025_185356.jpg

• Like 4

So, I've looked through the books a bit now. As always, it looks like the quality of the FGG hardcover is still shining. I feel like the book could take a good bit of abuse and live. I'm not entirely sure how much I like the new cover art compared to the faux-leather look of the PF and S&W versions, but I will say it's kind of growing on me and it serves as a way to differentiate the material. The interior pages are glossy, which does well with the fact that the book is now in color, but I prefer the more rough, real paper feel of the old black and white pages to the slick, plasticy feel of the gloss.

Most of the new artwork is great, but then there are a few things that stick out like a sore thumb. Namely, the pieces that are rather obvious CG clip art equivalents that someone threw together. Two of them are in the introduction section, side by side, and they look a bit like someone did them in a video game level editor from around 2003. There's a couple others I've seen that are likely to be retouched real photos(looking at you, pages 34 and possibly 73) but they aren't bad. They're infinitely better than the beavers in the new Tome of Horrors. Seriously, those beavers were not great. Also, on page 257 it looks like they lifted an image from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean, because I'm almost positive that's the same coin as the ones in the first movie. And I really hope that Disney doesn't see it and think so too, because that would end badly for FGG. I do really like the two page spread they did for Level 15, though.

Besides, I don't buy an FGG book for the artwork...

As for the softcovers, they seem par for the course for softcovers in terms of build quality. They aren't saddle-stitched(aka stapled in the spine), so that has me wondering how the glue will hold up in the two smaller ones I got(Level 5D and Adventures in Zelkor's Ferry). The exterior of the spine on the small ones are already peeling some just from its initial fold during construction splitting the glossy-printed cover ink or whatever. The Appendices book is your standard Perfect Bound book, much like a fat version of a Paizo AP book. I expect it to hold up just about as well as any other book of similar binding does. The interior pages are not glossy like the hardcover Rappan Athuk itself is, and they have a fuzziness that makes me think that the formatting was meant for glossy paper or something. None of the printing is as crisp as it is in the hardcover, and there are lots of little micro dots printed on every page. It gives the pages a nice texture, though. Something in the middle between the feel of plain paper that you got with the old RA and the slickness that you get with the new RA.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2

I guess I wasn't the only one who was confused by the super blown up maps at the end of some of the sections. I figured it out by flipping a few pages and finding the regular size maps, but it was still confusing at first. So they sent out an update specifically to tell people that the oversized, blown up sections of map were an art choice for chapter breaks.

• Confused 1