Getting to Know You, Mar 2018

11 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of March:  Does your (current or former) job require any sort of continuing or annual/periodic training?  If so, is it useful, or just the same thing over and over?

Yes for both current and former.  Annual training consists of at least a dozen different topics, mostly safety related but also corporate espionage and security.  The first time through I usually learn something, but the following year everything just repeats itself.  They've also gotten wise to people skipping through the presentations and not only force you to go through all of the material every time, but have also built in stops so you need to be present to click through.

• Like 4

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of March:  Does your (current or former) job require any sort of continuing or annual/periodic training?  If so, is it useful, or just the same thing over and over?

Former job required a certain number of hours every year.  There was no budget allocated to it, and no time allowed.   The same way I was told to use two weeks vacation or lose it, but not to take vacation before the end of the year (when said vacation days expired).   That was also the company that had end of year bonuses for employees who  didn't take any vacation, sick, or holiday time during the month. We had 10+ company holidays per year, so technically, you could only qualify for two possible month's worth of bonus. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

The former one did. Several subjects. Most of which was just blessed corporate idiocy (constant-never-ending-improvement-schemes) slogans, mantras, etal. (...who came up with the phrase “mission statement”? ...and how can they be punished?)

There was one :ph34r: SUBJECT :ph34r: that proved rather important. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Yup - some of it is the same thing while some of it is new.

From my pov, it's a good thing though as I am a member of a professional body which requires a certain level of annual training in order to keep said membership.  The fact my employer provides all of that training means that I don't have to go and pay for training externally. ::):

• Like 2

On 3/12/2018 at 8:23 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Two answers:

1. There's the mandatory safety classes everyone had to take and redo every so often. The job function mandates which classes you need (i.e. the IT guy doesn't need to know how to operate a forklift)
  2. As an Canadian professional engineer, I have to get some form of professional development over the year. Depending on the province I work in, how you count those hours varies, but ultimately you have demonstrate that you learned new stuff.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 13th of March:  How do you spend an unexpected day off from work? (snow day, road closed, whatever)

Unexpected day off? What's that?  :p

Seriously though, in the event that I get an unplanned day off, its usually just sitting around the house either watching TV/Movies, etc., playing games with Mrs. Gargs (if she too was off, which is unlikely), or just doing whatever else I would normally do around the house on an off day (painting, minis, xbox, etc.). If the weather is bad enough for an unexpected day off, then its bad enough that I'm not going anywhere. :p

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 13th of March:  How do you spend an unexpected day off from work? (snow day, road closed, whatever)

When the electricity goes off at work, I end up doing whatever I planned to do that evening. I walk to work, so...don't really have any other reasons to have an unexpected day off. If it did get bad enough weather for the office to be closed...well, I don't think I'd be able to leave my apartment...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Depending on the reason, provided I have all the power/health and time...

My first choice would be to hobby or do something nice with my girl if she was free also.

Walking Brutus and maybe play some games.

Maybe take the time to try out a new recipe and cook a special dinner.

• Like 5

Ideally it would be hobby time.  Realistically, it ends up being laundry, housework, yard work, errands, and other chores -or it turns out to be a "bad day" due to my disease and absolutely nothing happens. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

First, make breakfast.  While eating breakfast make grand plans for how I'm going to spend the day.

Following this I sit in my recliner and either binge watch something, play X-Box, or realize that I just spent six hours on Facebook.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I can't recall ever having a day off for snow or whatever. I just never had that type of job.

I'll bet I could have come up with all sorts of ways of spending the time in a totally fun way if I did though.

• Like 5