Sometimes you need to see a miniature in person to appreciate it. This is one that would come up on the site and I’d scroll right past without a second thought, but I saw him hanging on the rack at the FLGS and was immediately smitten.

Figure was prepped and primed as my previous show off thread went up, and was painted pretty quickly over the course of a couple evenings. Apologies for the picture quality (yet again), here is Alfred Redlute:

60BF033B-17B3-4DD0-8554-C08A9B8EC6AD.jpeg.150720ffcb1ccc0ed46cb7ea5142c9f9.jpegEEC3F4AC-85C0-49C0-A111-788C7B707ED5.jpeg.50c2a3a4ada0df538e251c5e8a10df92.jpeg

The sculpt holds up pretty well, despite its age (S. Garrity 97 is engraved on the rear of the base). Minor flash and a small but noticeable pit on the lute’s fretboard, but no real mold line issues. 

Paint wise, nothing really fancy going on. Tunic is Templar Blue and it’s associated triad with Palomino Gold around the bottom and cuffs. Found some GW shades along with the mini, so the yellows and browns got a dose of Nuln Oil.

His lute is red for the obvious reason. Sadly, some of the paint on the lute’s strings came off when sealer was applied. I believe the problem was the old brush I used being too stiff and rough. I fixed the damage best I could, but it’s nowhere near as nice as before.

Al’s pantaloons are Dark Elf Highlight mixed with some Linen White. Turns out that triad is good for more than just drow skin!

The base is meant to represent grass, as that was evidently the original intention of broccoli bases, so I painted it green. With MSP Grass Green. Because my imagination refuses to be bridled.

All in all, not terrible for the time and effort, for me at least. Though I do regret the last glaze which made the blue highlights very hard to see. But I was too scared to try again, and they aren’t completely gone, so something to work on next time.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome!

• Like 17

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, here are pictures of the diorama I made for the forum contest. As I mention in my entry post, this Dungeon Dwellers Diorama is my first 3D printed project. I created this interactive base to display Reaper Miniatures models; 07002 Baran Blacktree the Veteran Warrior, 07004 Stitch Thimbletoe the Halfling Thief, 07008 Luwin Phost the Wizard and 07012 Caerindra Thistlemoor the Fighter all sculpted by Bobby Jackson, along with 02712 Eyebeast sculpted by Julie Guthrie and 03017 Charnel Grub sculpted by Jason Wiebe.

I designed the dungeon model and printed it myself. The dungeon wall, pillar, door, the crate, the barrel and the chandelier are all 3D printed. The torch is from Reaper’s 02638 Adventuring Accessories sculpted by Sandra Garrity. The extra eyestalks on the Eyebeast are from Reaper’s 03440 Creature Components II. I used Reaper’s MSP acrylics, Citadel inks, Vallejo Matt Varnish.

The four adventurers base are imbedded in the display diorama and they are removable. Last, there are two small magnets under the Charnel Grub and in the wall, so the models, except for the Eyebeast, can be removed and utilized for game play.

Your comments and critiques are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

• By Geoff Davis
      In an unusual turn of events, I ended up painting the same miniature three times this week.  First one was for a customer who wanted the bard from Dark Sword Miniatures but without the pipe in his hand.  So it was replaced with a glowing musical note.  Red armour, blue clothes, yellow cloak.   While I was working on it, a different customer wanted the same bard but just a quick paint job for a sidekick NPC in his D&D game.  Of course, no pipe for the second bard either.  Brown armour, green cloak.  I think I spent more time on the base than painting him.  While I was working on the second one, the first customer decided he didn't like the colour scheme and could I change a couple of things.    No problem, I'm happy to do it.  But there is OSL and all kinds of other stuff, so it was actually much easier just to start again from scratch.  So I painted him a third time.  Red cloak, grey clothes. 

• By Geoff Davis
      Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I mostly post on the Reaper Facebook Page and Twitter now.  I still check out everything on the "Show off"  every day, though!

Here is my most recent tartan project.  This is Aeslin sculpted by Sandra Garrity.  My customer is a fan of the show (and books) Outlander and this figure was chose specifically for it's potential for painting a tartan.  The tartan that was picked is the Wilson Ancient Hunting Tartan.  It has these very thin quadruple orange lines that give it a very interesting blue/green/orange colour shift look.  I was only able to fit in three of the thin lines, but it was enough to give the cool effect. 

• By Sophie was taken
      Trying to get back into painting and out of my comfort zone, here is Silverhorn:

Nothing wild really, but it was a good exercise in painting up from gray to white. Not perfect but he turned out much better than anticipated, so I’m calling this one a win.
    • By Maledrakh
      A large mini ragepainted sloppyfast in under an hour just to blow off some steam and get it off the tray it has been standing around for ages on.
      Well, large mini I say. Compared to most other dragons of the Bones kickstarters, this one is rather smallish.
      However, back in the day when heavy metal was king, this mini would be considered a large miniature of a dragon.

pics below the clicks
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 3 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)