Rat13

My First Truly "Finished" Miniature

About a month ago I was at a birthday party for one of my friends and it was at that party I had an interesting conversation with another friend that lead to the creation of this miniature. This particular friend enjoys playing tabletop games and has recently been looking into playing Warhammer 40K. He already plays a few different GW games, so he is very aware of what he's getting into.

So while doing some research he came across fan art of the Imperial Guardsmen with fish heads, which he quickly pulled up on his phone and showed me. We both laughed and agreed that would be a ton of fun to play.

After that conversation I knew exactly what I wanted to give him for his birthday which was only a month away. Now a smart man would have taken that newly acquired knowledge and immediately started building. I however am not a smart man and I completely forgot about it until a few days before his party.

So I scrambled and quickly painted a Cadien I had leftover from a previous project, it wasn't a Guardsman but I figured he'd love it anyway. I still had to find a fish though and after four dollar stores I finally found the perfect fish head. 20180303_205926.thumb.jpg.6abd483793936ea07e278a95bde65928.jpg

Finding the head was a godsend but I still had work to do. Over the course of three days I removed the head of the fish, primed it, painted it, and pinned it into the Cadien figure's neck. Then I sealed the figure and based it with some rocks and grass.

I finished this piece about three hours before the party. I don't really base my figures, so this is my first truly "complete" miniature and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.20180305_145207.thumb.jpg.e4aa96034137122a6391b063ad857113.jpg20180305_145217.thumb.jpg.53c76cdd692fe330e872a9c990c14320.jpg

I'd love to hear what you think, I won't be able to alter this piece but critiques are welcome.

• Like 18
  • Haha 4

Nice. Damn good for a rush job.

I'm sure the one critique you'll hear about it is that with all that green and tan on the clothing and gear it kind of blends together, and that you probably should have darklined around the individual pieces to separate them more.

Great job finding that fish, though - it's the perfect size for a Big-Fish-Head figure, and if you hadn't pointed out the conversion I probably wouldn't have known it wasn't the original head....

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

"Fish heads Fish Heads

Roly poly Fish Heads

Fish Heads Fish Heads

Eat them up

YUM!"

Great job on the colors and getting it all to work together on this crazy conversion. 

Now, I'm going to show this to every Guard player I know because Heresy and you nailed it.  Thank you so much, this will be the gift that keeps on giving!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm sure the one critique you'll hear about it is that with all that green and tan on the clothing and gear it kind of blends together, and that you probably should have darklined around the individual pieces to separate them more.

I agree, with a conversion like this I didn't want to stray from the actual color scheme though. I'm still at that stage of learning that I know I would have messed up the color scheme if I tried to darkline things. If I ever do Cadiens again I will try that though.

Thanks everyone, I didn't think anyone would actually like such a crazy conversion. I think I would have enjoyed this a lot more had I not been so pressed for time.

I actually just got home from the party and I can report that my friend loved it.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Thanks everyone, I didn't think anyone would actually like such a crazy conversion.

The stranger the better.

• Like 1

Good paint job!

I think that trooper might have been exposed to a little bit of chaos, though.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2018 at 3:56 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Good paint job!

I think that trooper might have been exposed to a little bit of chaos, though.

(purple) We told him not to have the special at the bar at the end of the universe, but would he listen?  Nope it was 25% off, he said, nobody would dare spike a beverage on sale for thirty seconds! :p (unpurple) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1