1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

You'd like Jon then.

But I hear he dies even more often in BECMI than in PF. ::P:

I mean... I'm not exactly a killer DM... I don't set out to kill the PCs... it just... happens. They've gotten a lot better!

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 8:04 PM, Crowley said:

I mean... I'm not exactly a killer DM... I don't set out to kill the PCs... it just... happens. They've gotten a lot better!

Jon and Julie have been taking credit for making me less of a killer GM - they hooked me up with Megan. ::P:

Discovered that the question about the OGL was answered early on - both the playtest and the release version of the game will be OGL. (With a comment from a Paizo person that they had thought it would be self evident.... Paizo likes the OGL, and Starfinder is also OGL.)

No conversion book for the playtest - the point of the playtest is to see how it goes from a cold start - but there will be a conversion guide for the release version.

They are not ending the Pathfinder version 1 trademark agreement - so any company that wants to stay with Pathfinder 1 can do so - which may become a niche market of its own. However there will not be a Pathfinder 2 trademark agreement until the release version. (So no Pathfinder Playtest Compatible 3rd party material.)

Archetypes will be in the core rules, this time around. (Advanced Player's Guide is when I think Pathfinder stopped being just a D&D clone, and became a game in its own right. I like archetypes - and archetypes are why Sam decided to run full Pathfinder, instead of the Beginner's Box.)

The print edition of the Playtest Rulebook is available in softcover ($29.99), hardcover ($44.99), and deluxe hardcover ($59.99) editions.

Tempted to go for the hardcover, but will likely spring for the softcover.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A preview of the Fighter class is up on the Paizo Blog.

Looks interesting - some of the things everybody can do in the current Pathfinder become pretty much the Fighter's territory - attacks of opportunity being a case in point.

Shields have become more useful and more active - raising them takes an action, but allows an active defense, beyond the AC adjustment for having a shield.

Power Attack has become a single attack that uses the base attack bonus but uses two actions - adding an extra die of damage. (Each attack in the round past the first imparts a penalty - so this is the better option.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Overview of the Rogue is now up. ::):

Biggest change at low levels is that the rogue pretty much gets the advantage of surprise against anyone he acts before in the first round of combat - so if you weren't surprised by Stabby MacStabberson, the Stab Side Stabber, but he gets to act before you do in the first round, he gets to go stab happy on your flatfooted corpus.

No big surprise - while Fighters get a lot of combat feats Rogues get lots of skill feats. *EDIT* Fighters get combat feats every level, Rogues get skill feats every level.

The Auld Grump 

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

Hmm, they are now looking at four different levels of success for, well, looks like anything you need to roll a d20 for.

Even Saving Throws:

Critical Failure - whoops! Take double damage if that was a save.

Failure - take normal damage.

Success - take half damage

Critical Success - take no damage.

Fighters apparently will be able to get an ability for Certain Strike - where even a Failure means doing a little bit of damage (treat all rolls for damage as being 1.) And Twin Riposte - using one weapon to parry, and the other to strike when his or her opponent get's a Critical Failure.

The Auld Grump - try to cast a spell and I choke, try to use a sword and I fumble....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Fighters apparently will be able to get an ability for Certain Strike - where even a Failure means doing a little bit of damage (treat all rolls for damage as being 1.)

Ouch... "Damage on a miss" was one of the big heresies committed by 4E that everyone was rabbling about and sharpening their torches over.

(Hmm... I seem to have just turned "rabble" into a verb. I like it. It works.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Ouch... "Damage on a miss" was one of the big heresies committed by 4E that everyone was rabbling about and sharpening their torches over.

(Hmm... I seem to have just turned "rabble" into a verb. I like it. It works.)

Oddly enough, that wasn't one of the many things that bothered me about 4e - in part due to the nature of Hit Points. (With arguments stretching back to the very beginning of D&D - I swear, there were arguments about Hit Points in several of the very first few issues of The Dragon Magazine.)

Hit points do not just represent physical wounds - they also encompass fatigue.

Don't think of it as somehow hitting with a miss, think of it as forcing the target to expend energy in order to evade.

Goodness knows, there are fighters in the SCA that can wear you down without hitting you even once, but still leave you feeling like you have been chewed up and spat out....

The Auld Grump - there's a reason I didn't fight heavy list....

• Like 4

Aaannnd more than half my interest disappeared with one paragraph -

We've mentioned ability boosts and flaws a few times now, so let's go into more detail about how those work! At 1st level, your ability scores all start at 10. Your ancestry then gives you ability boosts, each of which increases the score by 2. Most ancestries get three ability boosts, two of which have to go into specific scores. The remaining free ability boost can go into any score except the two set ones. Most ancestries also get a flaw, which decreases a designated score by 2. You can put your free ability boost in the same score as your flaw if you want to get back to 10. In later parts of character creation, you'll get more ability boosts, which we'll cover in later blogs! (And if you want to roll your ability scores randomly, we have an option for that in the playtest so you can see how that might work, though we prefer for characters used in the playtest to be generated in the standard way.)

Looks like I will be sticking with first edition Pathfinder. I do not like the cookie cutter that has replaced ability score generation.

The Auld Grump

• Sad 1

Kinda sounds like it's just gonna stack up like a point buy, doesn't it? I'm a stat-roller so not my thing either way, but seems down the typical PF-mindset alley of fighting randomness and making everything line up nice and neat.

Blech!

It reminds me of the horrible way they avoided using ability scores in Fallout IV.

I would rather do my stats, then work from there.

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems needlessly, idk, involved, I guess, to have it all mixed up. I take it it's aiming to direct the "boosts" into the proper stats to benefit classes? Aiming to be more user-friendly/step-by-step for the newbies? I guess I see how it could make sense, or at least that there's a logic to it, but still. Meh.

• Like 1

Yup, that makes it sounds like they're trying to drastically reduce character variability. Like they want it to be that two Dwarf Fighters have almost all the same stats rather than there being the possibility of two dwarf fighters where one is charming, dexterous, and intelligent while the other is crass, dumb as a stump, and able to punch out an elephant.

Which is what killed Diablo 3 for me, because they did something similar. They took stat points away from the player, made all your stats automatically increase at level up, and made all your abilities/spells be based almost entirely off of how much damage your weapon did.

• Like 1

Ah, well - it's not like we have a shortage of Pathfinder material, and only the gods know how much d20 stuff.

I lust loaned Megan two of my old 3e books - Common Grounds I and II by Bard's Productions. Simple maps for things like guard stations and thieves' guilds, and stat blocks that can be mixed and matched to create an encounter in a city. (In my case, the books are often used while thinking in the restroom.... They will see a lot of use for The Blight, I think - though I may customize the tables to fit the setting.)

The Auld Grump - I really wish Bard's Productions had been around for longer - they were killed in the change from 3e to 3.5.

Hrmm... I've always thought that it would be a pretty elegant system to have your class as well as your race give you a bonus to one or more of your ability scores - i.e., choosing paladin gives you a +1 to Str and +1 to Cha so that using a standard array didn't necessarily mean you had to get stuck with having a dump score somewhere, or weren't quite so restricted by your rolls, etc. Gives a bit more variety to the creation process.

It'd be fine if they started with some sort of standard array. But having every score start at 10 and then adding in bonuses or penalties from race, class and whatever else seems a bit too much just a different way of shoehorning your character into a limited number of design spaces.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Hrmm... I've always thought that it would be a pretty elegant system to have your class as well as your race give you a bonus to one or more of your ability scores - i.e., choosing paladin gives you a +1 to Str and +1 to Cha so that using a standard array didn't necessarily mean you had to get stuck with having a dump score somewhere, or weren't quite so restricted by your rolls, etc. Gives a bit more variety to the creation process.

13th Age does that.  Your race has two possible ability score increases (you pick one) and the class has two (you pick one, different than your race choice).  The idea was to make all races good at all classes, and works pretty well.

The proposed Pathfinder stat generation is not to my taste.  Heck, my current 5E character couldn't even exist in such a system.  That said, with a good adventure and a good DM it wouldn't stop me from playing it.  It just wouldn't gain a spot on the list of systems I would chose to run.