Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Pathfinder Version 2

40 minutes ago, Keianna said:

I am very much down for this.

I will try anything once. Tried the playtest with @Thes Hunter as the GM and had fun, though, I admit, I approached it from the 'let's play some roles' side rather than 'let's test this new system'. I also used a pregen and never did try character creation. 5th Ed sold me on its character creation. Half an hour start to playing when I have no idea what I'm doing. Yeah, that works for me. 

5e character creation is perfect for me, being a AL DM I get new player needing character. It takes up 20-30 mins of game time but the rest of the players BS with each other anyways, so no worries.

• Like 3

All this fussing reminds me that I never got around to reading the playtest, much less giving it a try.  So count me in the same boat as Talespinner.  I could care less about the playtest; how is the finished product?

• Like 6

Crap. :grr:

Got to see the finished product today.

The parts of character generation that I hated most from the play test are still there.

The parts of combat that I hated most are still there.

The changes to magic and magic items that I hated most are still there.

The one good thing? Goblins. And. That. Is. It.

It is half again as big, with worse indexing and worse clarity. Hooray. :zombie:

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

OK, so in reading the last several pages, all the people complaining still seem to be complaining about the damn playtest.  You know what, I DON"T REALLY CARE about the playtest anymore.  I don't want opinions about the playtest.  Now I want to hear from people who have played the actual game, now that it is out.  

I get that some are deeply offended by the playtest; I recommend getting over it and moving on.  If you are that mad, don't play.  But as someone interested in making an informed decision about the new version, I really want to hear about the new version, not a years old grudge about a play test that may or may not be similar to the real thing.

I'd love to hear how the actual game compares to the playtest that was so horrible,  Scratch that, no, I wouldn't; I'd love to hear how the actual game compares to PF1 as that is what I know (I really don't care about the playtest one way or the other), but as far as I can tell, no one other than Thes has gotten that far yet.

The thing is that if you WERE in the playtest then all the bad feeling comes roaring back up as you read the new rules.

Everything that I hated most EXCEPT Resonance is still there.

And seeing it there still brings up being told that it wasn't supposed to be fun.

In that case they succeeded, because it wasn't.

Grump - There must be a pony here somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd love to hear how the actual game compares to PF1

• Flatter power curve, both over the life of the character and when comparing different character specializations.
  • Less customizability.
  • Simpler character build, at least in concept, but in practice it seems to want a character builder like Fantasy Grounds even more, because of gating required to get to various abilities.
  • Simpler combat in many ways.
  • A simplified action economy.
  • Much less variety in magic.
  • In virtually all of these, there is still more customizability and complexity than there is in 5e.

(Please let me know if I understand any of that incorrectly. I haven't spent anywhere near as much time with the rules as @Thes Hunter.)

None of that is necessarily a good or bad thing. For some people it seems to be working great, specifically because the rules address what had become pain points for those people. Doesn't work for me.

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

Is it playtest or play test?

English, especially American English, tends to move from separate words through hyphenated words to joined words over time. See electronic mail, E. Mail, E-mail, email, for instance.

If you listen closely, you can hear changes in emphasis over time that reflect these changes as well:

• Iced cream in the 19th century
  • Ice cream' in the early 20th century
  • Ice' cream today

So "yes". ::D:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My exposure to PF1 was in the elements of it we allowed into our D&D 3.5e game years ago, before transitioning to 5e.  What I saw of PF1 that I liked was primarily that it continued 3.5e and gave it a path that avoided the mess that was 4e*. 

My entire exposure to PF2 has been these forums, primarily this thread.   As class & level systems aren't really my preferred RPG type, and the number crunch that was 3/3.5/PF1 wore me out, I've found 5e to be a reasonable class & level system I can live with.  PF2 will have to be really good to get me to convert from 5e. I strongly suspect that PF2 doesn't offer me enough of what I want/need to transition from 5e - if I'm going to spend the effort to get my group to play something else, I already have non-class & level preferences. 

That said, I'm not above checking it out if I get a chance to do so without spending more than a few $$. 

But I'm most interested in seeing if PF2 will follow the route of 4e or be more of a 5e for them.  The play test seemed to indicate more of the former, but I hope it's the latter - the hobby needs as many good companies and successful RPGs as it can get. 

Spoiler

For the record, I don't think 4e was a horrible game in and of itself - I think it was a well written game. It just didn't feel like D&D - it felt like Warcraft the RPG, and I think it would have done very well had it been released as that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

All this fussing reminds me that I never got around to reading the playtest, much less giving it a try.  So count me in the same boat as Talespinner.  I could care less about the playtest; how is the finished product?

My Crap! :grr: Wasn't in reply to your question, it was my response to reading the rulebook. 

I read character generation, flipped to combat, flipped to magic and went Crap! :grr:

I went straight to the parts that annoyed me the most.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should probably take a look before hand; I /think/ I have access to HL PF2 sheetbuilder; and that ought to be easier than trying to muck my way through on paper.

Six hours, man... it was painful.

Mucked around with The Dark Eye? Only needed one, maybe two hours at most, because spellcaster. 

I'm generally wishing I had more of a group available; our local group is down to three, inlcuding GM, and ... it's hard to meet up, with all of us having lives. >.<

Grump said to watch the third party publishers.

PF was already losing ground with them to 5e.

Has anyone seen any third party interest?

2 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump said to watch the third party publishers.

PF was already losing ground with them to 5e.

Has anyone seen any third party interest?

Kobold Press, Dreamscarred Press. .. quite probably Frog God, but they're still on probation from our quarter. I'd expect others, for sure. Necromancers of the Northwest put out some material for PF1; might be worth looking for them.

There are still companies supporting PF1.

We will see how long that lasts.

I am hoping somebody does the same thing to Paizo that Paizo did to Wizards.

I'd keep an eye on Ulisses Spiele then; they're running The Dark Eye, which is ... a little bit like and a little bit not like. It split off from AD&D1 in Germany, and has been going strong through several editions, the most recent of which was translated to English just a few years ago.

Mr. Thorne's been threatening to switch us to it ever since; only thing that's stopped him is lack of sheet management software.

And that seems to be one of the things PF2 /does/ have - or at least, is starting to have; HLO is getting sorta functional, at least, I can use it to build a character.

2 hours ago, haldir said:

5e character creation is perfect for me, being a AL DM I get new player needing character. It takes up 20-30 mins of game time but the rest of the players BS with each other anyways, so no worries.

Grump wants to PLAY 5e, but doesn't want to RUN 5e.

I only now feel comfortable running Pathfinder, and don't want to change games now that I finally feel like I know what I'm doing.

So tempted to add a location to the game I am working on called Mt. Grognard. ::P:

3 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I'd keep an eye on Ulisses Spiele then; they're running The Dark Eye, which is ... a little bit like and a little bit not like. It split off from AD&D1 in Germany, and has been going strong through several editions, the most recent of which was translated to English just a few years ago.

Mr. Thorne's been threatening to switch us to it ever since; only thing that's stopped him is lack of sheet management software.

And that seems to be one of the things PF2 /does/ have - or at least, is starting to have; HLO is getting sorta functional, at least, I can use it to build a character.

HLO?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:
3 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

HLO?

Hero Labs Online. Lone Wolf runs it, and the non-cloud version, which I honestly prefer...

Not cheap (one has to buy the official supplements), but we've been running Hero Labs as sheet managers for years; it's invaluable for both sides of the screen. 

My only complaint with them is that they're trying to go to cloud-based, and I don't trust cloud-based software at all. ^^;

38 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Hero Labs Online. Lone Wolf runs it, and the non-cloud version, which I honestly prefer...

Not cheap (one has to buy the official supplements), but we've been running Hero Labs as sheet managers for years; it's invaluable for both sides of the screen. 

My only complaint with them is that they're trying to go to cloud-based, and I don't trust cloud-based software at all. ^^;

I remember exploding customers at BAM when Wizards changed their online character generator for 4e, losing half the functionality so I don't blame you.

57 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Kobold Press, Dreamscarred Press. .. quite probably Frog God, but they're still on probation from our quarter. I'd expect others, for sure. Necromancers of the Northwest put out some material for PF1; might be worth looking for them.

Probation? Me one word questions. Ugh!

• Like 1