1 hour ago, BlazingTornado said:

At-will offensive spells that increase in effectiveness as your character levels kills a lot of my love for 5E, but otherwise it's a solid system.

It's got a few other pitfalls, Expertise hurts non-skill monkeys who'd want to be good at a thing (particularly wizards who'd want to be masters of arcane lore, the bard can easily outclass em with double-prof and a high enough INT).

Barbarians get the shaft and the design team is so uncreative that the only archetypes they can come up with since the SCAG is to give them magical attributes. Let me repeat that: Barbarians in 5E are extremely magical now. Barbarians. The pinnacle of pure unrestrained physicality. They're now magical unless you play a Berserker or a Dwarven Battlerager.

Unlike Pathfinder, skills are picked at character creation and increase with a proficiency bonus, same as to-hit and spell attack rolls and spell saves... There's ways to learn more proficiencies as the game progresses, such as certain archetypes providing them (usually between 1st-3rd level) or using a feat.

There are a lot fewer skills, which instead apply more broadly, making it easier to avoid trap options.

Feats are an optional rule, not used at every level, instead used as a choice in place of ability score increases at relevant levels. Consequently, they are more powerful than the feats of Pathfinder.

The math is a lot less fiddly, Advantage/Disadvantage gets rid of a lot of the annoying modifiers that plague PF.

Thanks for this breakdown. The description of skills is definitely good to know, because that will kill my wife's interest in it. Sounds like SW SAGA, and she hated that skill system. She (and I) really like the granularity of PF's skill system.

Yep, a lot more like Saga than 4e.

Not my cuppa char, but better than 4e or PF 2.

And BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY! One of the stupidest of the stupid things in 4e was stupidly telling folks not to even try converting.

5e changes at least as many things as 4e did, but remains D&D, mostly. Kinda. Or at least it can bortow stuff from D&D. <_<

Grump and I are sticking with PF1. I am experimenting with 5 with the kids. Like it less than PF1, but a LOT more than PF2 or 4e. About the same as 2nd ed, maybe? Kinda?

5 is easier to write stuff for, but doesn't make me as happy as PF1.

PF1 is "my happy place". ::P: 5 is "I'll play it if I can't play PF1" .

PF2 and 4e are "I'd rather watch TV".

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Thanks for this breakdown. The description of skills is definitely good to know, because that will kill my wife's interest in it. Sounds like SW SAGA, and she hated that skill system. She (and I) really like the granularity of PF's skill system.

Grump also hates the 5 skill system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 6:52 PM, PaganMegan said:

I think PF is doomed. ::(:

Up until Resonance blew up in their faces, it wasn't really a playtest, it was an unveiling.

They just weren't LISTENING.

Then they lost half their playtesters over Resonance, and it was too late.

The question is will PF 2 suck Paizo down with it?

There is nothing vague about my profane rant.

This explains a lot about why the playtest was so very, very bad.

The Auld Grump

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Yep, a lot more like Saga than 4e.

Not my cuppa char, but better than 4e or PF 2.

And BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY! One of the stupidest of the stupid things in 4e was stupidly telling folks not to even try converting.

5e changes at least as many things as 4e did, but remains D&D, mostly. Kinda. Or at least it can bortow stuff from D&D. <_<

Grump and I are sticking with PF1. I am experimenting with 5 with the kids. Like it less than PF1, but a LOT more than PF2 or 4e. About the same as 2nd ed, maybe? Kinda?

5 is easier to write stuff for, but doesn't make me as happy as PF1.

PF1 is "my happy place". ::P: 5 is "I'll play it if I can't play PF1" .

PF2 and 4e are "I'd rather watch TV".

Grump also hates the 5 skill system.

It just feels like the 2nd edition Proficiency system.

I like having a robust skill system - be it Basic Roleplay or 3.X.

The Auld Gurmp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 12:20 PM, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm pretty comfy with my PF, but I keep hearing all these glowing reviews of D&D 5.0... makes me curious to check it out. What's it like, in comparison to PF/3.x?

Mediocre. You'll find yourself constantly wanting to do things you can't. Not as bad as 4e though.

Thanks to all the people giving me feedback. I think I guess I'll just resign myself to being a grognard who plays an out of date edition and talks about "back in my day." Didn't think I'd get there before I turned 40 (though I am only a couple of months off...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Thanks to all the people giving me feedback. I think I guess I'll just resign myself to being a grognard who plays an out of date edition and talks about "back in my day." Didn't think I'd get there before I turned 40 (though I am only a couple of months off...)

One of us!

One of us!

One of us!

::D:

3.X - including Pathfinder - is pretty much my happy place as well.

It does what I want it to do.

5e is a bit too streamlined, and I do not think that PF2 will ever be a viable alternative. ::(:

5e is at least getting 3PP support, PF2... is dead in the water, and starting to list. (To be fair - there were folks that thought much the same about 5e. 5e is doing the opposite of 4e, in terms of sales - a slow start, but continuing to build a customer base.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I mean, my prefered edition is the 1989 D&D Rules Cyclopedia, but I also currently play 5e, and would be willing to run 5e and 4e, not to mention DCC, WEG's Star Wars, classic Traveller, Tales from the Floating Vagabond, Paranoia... So, welcome to enjoying games that are "dead" but still loved. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I mean, my prefered edition is the 1989 D&D Rules Cyclopedia, but I also currently play 5e, and would be willing to run 5e and 4e, not to mention DCC, WEG's Star Wars, classic Traveller, Tales from the Floating Vagabond, Paranoia... So, welcome to enjoying games that are "dead" but still loved. 

One of my players is also a fan of the old Cyclopedia. (Keeps saying he will run it, never does.)

The Auld Grump

By the way - there was a new edition of Paranoia just a couple of years ago - from Mongoose. (Including a new edition of the classic Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues. (I miss John M. Ford.)

paranoia_ycbbbr_box_front_1.jpg

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

If it's any consolation, some of us were barely 13 or 14 before we were saying "in my generation..."

12 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

One of my players is also a fan of the old Cyclopedia. (Keeps saying he will run it, never does.)

The Auld Grump

By the way - there was a new edition of Paranoia just a couple of years ago - from Mongoose. (Including a new edition of the classic Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues. (I miss John M. Ford.)

paranoia_ycbbbr_box_front_1.jpg

The Auld Grump

I own it!

This version is from their KS version from several years ago, and a follow up KS campaign to get more stuff.

The setting has been updated to take into account that practically all modern players are familiar with computers and integrated technologies. But Alpha Complex remains a glorious proof of what human productivity can achieve with loyalty, genetic purity and true happiness under the guidance of Friend Computer. Oh look, a very large laser is pointed at my head to cheerfully motivate me. Praise Friend Computer.

I *really* want to play/GM it.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5