Jump to content

AntiMatter

Painting a Kraken - Step By Step

Recommended Posts

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By stormbreach
      Hello all.  Today I just finished this Shambling Mound from Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures.  I decided to do it just like a tutorial I saw on Mini Junkies, so I'm not even sure how much credit I can claim for him .  Basically it's heavily drybrushed with white and then entirely inked.  I used Vallejo Game Inks and this was my first time trying them.  There are some imperfections and I wish some aspects had turned out different but I'm happy enough with him.  I didn't have enough guts to put grass and flock directly on him like I would have liked but I don't think any of the stuff I have would have looked right.  As it is the grass and flock on the base basically disappears because it blends with the greens on him.  Hope you enjoy him!





    • By Pingo
      So these are a couple of "mantis warriors" which I'm painting up as thri-kreen, the insectoid race from the Dark Sun and Spelljammer D&D settings.  They are Reaper's 03552: Klichik, Mantis Warrior (the taller one), sculpted by John Winter, and 03142: Zizzix, Mantis Warrior (the squatter one), sculpted by Michael Brower.
       
      Here they are for scale (and unassembled) with Reaper's 03155: Vandora Waverunner, Pirate, sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.

       
      Straight out of the package they have a very flat silhouette.

       
      Here they are assembled, primed, and washed with thinned-down Burnt Umber.  I gently bent some of their limbs forward to ease the flatness a tad.

       

       
      One source said all thri-kreen were golden brown; another said they were earthy shades of red, yellow, and sometimes green.  I decided to paint the taller one red and the shorter one yellow.
       
      I mixed some dull, opaque colors using Iron Oxide Red and Yellow, each mixed with a greying-down blend of browns and white, and brushed them on thinly.
       
      As god is my witness, this thing is not so pink in real life.

       
      I painted this same yellow on both of the creatures' bases.

       
      Then I washed over them with some thinned-down Burnt Umber.
       

       

       
      To be continued!
    • By valkyriesinger
      Hello! I've recently started working on a diorama, and a friend of mine urged me to post here. The only thing that is missing from the pictures below is the kelp that will be behind the kraken (on the little pads on the back side of the base). It is some floppy aquarium kelp that I"m currently trying to figure out how to get it to stand up straight. Tips, tricks, C&C are all welcomed.
       
      Here is the pre-primed coral wall in varying states of sand coverage. The coral is planned to be very brightly colored.



       
      Primed base:


      You can see the kelp pads in the pic above.

       
      Base with Kraken for staging verification:


       
      Here is the almost finished diver, who goes in the slot in front of the Kraken. This drab, dirty human looking down at his feet while the kraken looms above is one of my favorite parts, tbh.

       
      Cheers!
      Valk
    • By AntiMatter
      Hi folks,
      Here is my painted version of the Sea Hag, Ol’ Ginny Greenteeth for the Nereids of Blood Reef, for DeepWars. It's a pre-production model as the final one is coming out later. She was done with a lot of washes and glazes over a “zenith-primed” base. Most of you already know how this is done, with a base coat of black primer all over, then white primer sprayed from above to simulate how light falls on the model. The skin was started with Phthalo Green ink + black paint + Matte medium.  The clothing was started first with an olive hue, made with an Ivy green paint mixed with Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna ink.
       


      The skin was highlighted with the green ink + a light golden white (Buttermilk color – Americana brand) and white. This clothing was highlighted with addition of the golden white paint. Kelp was painted with additional Ivy green and highlighted with a touch of yellow and buttermilk. Shells were glazed with golden white and then glazed with Burnt Sienna ink before getting edge highlights with pure white.
      Her hair was done with a “Sea Foam” color, which was Phthalo green and a touch of Phthalo blue ink and white paint for the base, then highlighted with white.
      The base was done with a light glaze of Burnt Sienna ink over the rocks, then let dry, while the spiky coral was painted with Deep Violet ink. When all dry, the rock was washed with Phthalo blue ink. The crab was painted with a light glaze of Burnt Sienna ink, then Pthahlo blue on the back shell and highlighted with thinned white. The worms were painted with a blue-purple gray, highlighted with white.
       





    • By lexomatic
      So I decided to do some elementals real quick. I gave them base coat of matte medium - primer for earth, because base coat.

      Then I attempted the yellow-ning. First it looked good, so I tried to add a little more, mixed with orange tint, and ugh.


      I think I'd recommend doing outsides red, and then use a yellow ink w/medium as "dry" brush to pick out details. It won't look right, but a lot of the translucents really seem to be table ready.
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 0 Anonymous, 144 Guests (See full list)

×