Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is the first project in my 150 miniatures in 75 weeks challenge. I am starting off with the miniatures in a new game by Restoration Games called "Unmatched." It is a light card driven skirmish/arena type game. It is a reworking of the old game Star Wars: Epic Duels, if you are familiar. These will be painted primarily with reaper paints, so I think this is still "legal" to post.
I am starting off with the four miniatures that come in the base box, Alice (in wonderland), Medusa, King Arthur, and Sinbad.
The models are very nice for board game minis. They came pre-washed. I gave them a soak in simple green to try to get some of the wash off, but it didn't really come off. It doesn't seem to have obscured detail, so I am just proceeding.
Often, when I paint board game miniatures, the bases are an afterthought. For these, I have decided to give the bases more attention.
For Sinbad, I am going to have him on a beach, with the ocean water receding under his feet. For that I made up some texture paste by mixing some pva glue, baking soda, and water (sorry, don't know the proportions). This paste, when dried, does a good job of approximating fine sand. I tapered the paste on his base because the water is going to be behind him.
After it was dry, I mixed up another batch and added a more roughed up section at the front. This is the sand that hasn't gotten wet yet.
For Alice, she is going to be in a garden/lawn setting with flowers. I wanted the texture paste to be a bit more coarse, so I added in some corn meal into the baking soda mix, then as it dried, I used a brush to make the ground a bit uneven.
I did the same thing for King Arthur, but then I had a change of heart. I didn't want his base to be the same as Alice's, so after it had dried some, I took a dental tool and scratched in some lines so that it looked like he was on stone. I'm not sure how this will turn out and if the texture will read much as stone after primed. If not, I can do some things to fix it. One thing I worried about was whether it looked like his feet were sinking into the stone, so I tried to subtly taper the stone around his feet. If it doesn't read right at the end, I'll add some rubble around his feet.
For Medusa, I wanted the ground to be rougher as she is going to be among the rubble of her victims. So, I sprinkled on some corn meal over the top. I'll be adding more rubble and stuff later on. There isn't much room on her base, but I want to have pieces of a stone victim somewhere. I might grab a bones miniature and cut pieces off of it (head, bits of torso, arm) and see what I can fit.
Here they with the bases dried. I am content with the results (sorry for the washed out image).
Next up, priming!
I got the chance to paint up some miniatures for a project to bring the Modest Medusa webcomic into the minaitures world.
These were all sculpted by Brian Phelps, and I think every one of them sculpts is super cute. I'm going to get to do some more of them for backers, since the project is pretty nicely overfunded.
Anyway, here are all of the very cute Medusa minis I painted for them.
I admit to getting a bit more than just the core set in the Bones 4 kickstarter....but I have decided to paint the entire core set before tackling any of the expansion sets. However, there are also a bunch of add-ons to do. Most of those are rather large... but we start with some mid-sized ones:
These are the "Skeletal Monsters" add on subset. A Chimera, an Owlbear and a Manticore, plus a heap of monster bones / spawn pile scatter terrain piece. Also there is a sprue of different heads to you can convert to other monster skeletons if you like.
I am keeping the sprue of monster skulls in the bitsbox for now.
The wings are in a much more rigid (and presumably more brittle) material than the bodies that seem to be in the more rigid bones 3 material.
I made a 3D printed 70x50mm oval base for this one. These were hollowed out from the top so the miniatures own base fit inside, with some putty to fill them out.
I made a 50x30mm base for this one.
This one has a 60x35 base.
The bone pile scatter terrain bit.
I have a bone to pick with you guys...
How I painted these:
Black undercoat with white ink zenithal sprayed on. After this was thoroughly dried out, I painted Citadel Skeleton Horde contrast (yes! Contrast paint! It works like a thicker ink or stain!) all over.
When this was thouroughly dry, I drybrushed in varying degree with several bone-type colours, both yellowish and whiteish ending with Reaper Splintered Bone at the very tops.
Details such as horns, beak, teeth, stingers and claws in various black and grey colours I mixed on my pallette.
Base in Vallejo Earth followed by some tufts and my autumnal flock mix, finised with black rims. All of them done from basecoat in an evening including drying times.
add-on subset from the Bones 4 kickstarter, 2017
Sculpted by Julie Guthrie
Made in Bonesium PVC
should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future
This one has been standing around half-painted for a while. The rule 63 Drizzt Do'Urden from Bones 2.
This model is quite nice from the front and back, but really flat from the side. Which is typical of originally made for single piece metal casting-minis.
Your panther has made a mess of my carpet! Come clean it up!
77217 Mi-Sher, female elf with scimitars
Reaper Miniatures, Bones 2 KS 2013 core set
Sculpted by Julie Guthrie
30mm lipped base
available from reapermini.com
Who's Online 42 Members, 1 Anonymous, 205 Guests (See full list)
- Cranky Dog
- Doug Sundseth
- Pezler the Polychromatic
- Knight of the Dinner Table