Sign in to follow this  
Guindyloo

Buglips and Guindyloo paint Dungeon Dwellers 07002: Baran Blacktree

@Guindyloo I really like the work you've done on the cloak.  I can also totally empathize with the pushing yourself and then losing desire to paint.  I don't want to think about the abandoned WIP's I have out there on this forum.  Glad to see you finishing up this fella, if nothing else than for the cloak alone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that cloak looks amazing!! Like the shiniest silk cloth. And I like the armor too, it looks used and real. 

-and Im glad you’re back from radio-silence, I really like these threads, they’re so indpirational.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:00 PM, Guindyloo said:

At least I'm really happy with the cloak. It took way longer than it should have and it's not perfect, but I'm happy with that part and that's something.

It's Beautiful! I want to wear that cloak!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LarsM said:

Yeah, that cloak looks amazing!! Like the shiniest silk cloth. And I like the armor too, it looks used and real. 

-and Im glad you’re back from radio-silence, I really like these threads, they’re so indpirational.

We'd hoped to catch up to the current month and do all of the new DD as they come out, but our workloads make that unfeasible.  So we'll be mixing Dwellers in with other WIPs we do as time allows.  I can guarantee, however, that we will definitely be doing those sweet, sweet DD goblins.   

I'm glad you're liking the threads! 

• Like 14

Alright, since I'm just in get it done mode, I have been slowly whittling away at getting him painted. I'm sorry it's taking so long, but thank y'all for the supportive comments, I really appreciate it.

So let me catch y'all up to where I'm at with him.

First of all, the moldy look of the armor bothered me too much, so I ended up entirely painting over it all. I think it looks better in person and in pictures, so I'm glad that I did it. It is now looking a little thick, but that's not surprising considering how many layers of paint wound up on that thing. Oh well. I painted over the armor again with Brown Liner and then basecoated with Warcolours Metallic Choco, then highlighted up with Warcolours Metallic Brown and then I added a little bit of GW Sigmarite to the Metallic Brown for the highest highlights. Lastly, I shaded with Secret Weapon Rust Shadow.

Things could be smoother, but like I said, there's already way too much paint on there so I'm admitting defeat on the armor and moving on.

4baran01.thumb.jpg.44bf986b806521639df840e94da23596.jpg

4baran02.thumb.jpg.b65638c57d2835bdc20252c42939a06f.jpg

Next up I decided to go with an orangey red for the cloth bits, so I basecoated with MSP Rusty Red. This is a paint from the HD line and I happen to have a picture of the basecoat because I wanted to show Buglips how well it covered in ONE COAT OVER BROWN LINER.

4baran03.thumb.jpg.40a68b0e3c1ac8f776ba551b374d2aac.jpg

I don't know about y'all, but I know what paint I'll be reaching for in the future whenever I need to basecoat a red.

So from there I highlighted the red by mixing in MSP Phoenix Red with the Rusty Red, then I added a little bit of MSP Lava Orange, then I added a little bit of MSP Candlelight Yellow. Then I glazed over all of that with MSP Clear Red.

Then for the trim of the cloth and the rope across his chest, I basecoated with MSP Palomino Gold, then shaded with a mix of that and MSP NMM Gold Shadow. The highlighting was done by mixing MSP NMM Gold Highlight into the Palomino Gold and then glazed over with Candlelight Yellow.

4baran04.thumb.jpg.bc664d7f2e15e275094b842234e962c5.jpg

4baran05.thumb.jpg.a30442463769be9076bcb18c2bd57722.jpg

The boots and gloves are just basecoated with MSP Mahogany Brown. I don't recall what silver paint I used for the chainmail as it appears that I actually put away a bottle of paint right after using it for once. Shocking, I know.

Also, not pictured, I finally remembered that the shield arm existed, so I started basecoating areas of that.

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

He’s so pretty!

Looks like I need to give Mahogany Brown another try, loving it in these pics.

I'm sorry to hear that Mahogany Brown hasn't treated you well in the past. It's one of my favourite paints ever. Like if the apocalypse happens and I only have time to grab 5 paints to preserve for man kind, I'm grabbing MSP Mahogany Brown, MSP Moth Green, MSP Candlelight Yellow, Secret Weapon Rust Shadow and Warcolours One Coat Beige.

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I'm sorry to hear that Mahogany Brown hasn't treated you well in the past. It's one of my favourite paints ever. Like if the apocalypse happens and I only have time to grab 5 paints to preserve for man kind, I'm grabbing MSP Mahogany Brown, MSP Moth Green, MSP Candlelight Yellow, Secret Weapon Rust Shadow and Warcolours One Coat Beige.

Its not that it has gone bad, it’s just that I keep forgetting it’s there in the first place :unsure:

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Its not that it has gone bad, it’s just that I keep forgetting it’s there in the first place :unsure:

Yeah, when you have 100+ paints several do tend to be forgotten.  :rolleyes:

• Like 7

I think it's pretty cool getting to see two of the same figure being painted in two different fashions; really cool idea for a thread/series. Kudos to both of you!:winkthumbs:

@Guindyloo---It sounds like you're not too thrilled with him, but I think he's still coming out very nicely.::):

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1