DSM3103 GlenRaven -- Female Rogue with Sword and Dagger

Darksword GlenRaven - Female Rogue with Sword and Dagger  DSM3103 Dennis Mize.

Any comments, criticism or suggestions will be gratefully accepted. 

Continuing with my exploration of lighting, I have retrieved GlenRaven from my shelf of shame and I am sending her striding across a grassy knoll at sunset.  I had already added the skirt a few years ago when experimenting with greenstuff.  First step in rescuing her was to repair the base (I previously tried and failed to remove her) and build a slight hill. 

5aade0c5e0754_BaseAdded.jpg.2d6d0296b44bc85735c9ce6d4cc0c4ec.jpg

Next I marked where I wanted the light to be coming from.  The top of the arrow on the cork is aligned with a mark on her base.  When I have visually lined up the mark and the arrow, I am looking at her from the lighted direction, which I find helps me be more consistent with light direction. 

5aade0f2668f8_LightSide.jpg.ca9a9e100a1b22055a3266b8bfa753ab.jpg

Then I marked the shadow position the same way.

5aade0f18a70c_ShadowSide.jpg.b928f0048d962cb1aaa0dd9f174fa04d.jpg

And viewed from the front you can see where I have marked all the shadows in a first coat of walnut brown.  I also did a very light wash of oxford blue to bring out some of the fine details.

5aade0f0c65dd_ShadowsMarked.jpg.9511fe29cd737be429c9d7d42d54b84e.jpg

Then the eyes, which were very tough to paint.  I'm not totally happy with them and may yet repaint them.  They are far too big and incorporate both the sculpted eye and her upped cheek.  I am finding them very hard to get at.

Eyes2.jpg.c0993ca6586f62b0b971e81ac8b7a0ea.jpg

I made lots of progress on the colours tonight.  I have added the deepest shadows on the back of the cloak and the back of her hair.  I've highlighted the skirt and boots, but I think they need to be brighter and yellower.  I haven't yet shaded/highlighted the flesh tones because I want them to match the colour and brightness of the other lighted areas when the sunset colours are added in.

5aade0f513449_Colours5.jpg.e28fc8fc3daea06199e9c8bad9c9989c.jpg

5aade0f5e0a82_Colours4.jpg.fc49a0c4637b50e7ad7cadf05859c3cd.jpg

5aade0f6b35a4_Colours3.jpg.ad507ac26b47643f1d4c4dd941aee6e8.jpg

5aade0f786c5a_Colours2.jpg.bbdab988a7a5b65631c3f3240262f4ac.jpg

5aade0f84694a_Colours1.jpg.65e1573b1f57f73ac1c051c5b435441b.jpg

Edited by Geoff Davis
  • Like 17
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing to work on adding in the colours.  Painted her shirt.  Did some washes on the plants, painted them their base green colour.  Added blue into the shade colours on the shirt, added orange into the highlights on the shirt.  Hopefully this will reinforce the highlighting when I add yellow to everything facing the sun and magenta into the shadows.

5aaf2bbfb6789_shirt1.jpg.de11fe81f35b70aee1d61473243aa1cc.jpg

5aaf2bbece428_Shirt2.jpg.f6c1e6b4a5f68eecfaa45886841ce83b.jpg

5aaf2bbddd73e_Shirt3.jpg.e24471b09b3d1e537922013c12f5f48a.jpg

The skirt needs a lot more highlighting and to be brighter. So does the ground closest to the light source.  Next stage will be the flesh tones and then the light-facing side of the hair.  After that I'll start to brighten the highlights on the skirt and boots. 

5aaf2bbd03302_highlightsneedtobebrighter.jpg.219a63a6c71f131d848989b5fdf73a4a.jpg

• Like 10

I redid her eyes.  I'm much happier with this result.  I went back to the Dark Sword website to look at the picture of the greens.  Turns out I was painting her eyelids, eyes and  cheeks as though they were her eyes.  They are tiny.  However, when I turned the model upside down after repainting it to straight rosy skin and giving it a light brown wash, I discovered that the eyes are much much easier to access that way. 

5ab07d2615a84_Face5.jpg.d76d0215bb477d19ee58b726f254c540.jpg

I also finished the highlighting on her hair, highlighted the cloak and highlighted her skin.  Still some work to do on the face and details, like lips and gems.  Then the next step will be the NMM on the sword.  I will need to add some kind of yellow and orange wash to tie all the colours together with the sunset theme.  I also need to brighten her skirt, boots and the leather armour/headband somehow. 

5ab07dba52d6a_20Mar7.jpg.4346a8a3a37b3891fbcdc582b7daa62c.jpg

5ab07dc20a981_20Mar2.jpg.03ef95698afe6d001590341344c1f493.jpg

5ab07dc48d3ba_20Mar3.jpg.83cc9fd3df997fa0cca5c5def5667604.jpg

5ab07dc5ac11e_20Mar4.thumb.jpg.d9e8ea59ea774d708b892b2a8a406418.jpg

5ab07dc993457_20Mar5.jpg.4ffd21b83a6acf783e180e925f171461.jpg

5ab07dd101f1e_20Mar6.jpg.d5c6f6f62c6abf269fad2e443f1a8715.jpg

• Like 12

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TaleSpinner
      For the ReaperCon MSP Open this year, I painted the master copy of the White Drake I sculpted for Dark Sword (it will be released for sale in 2022).  I decided to do him in glacial coloration inspired by a glacier I saw while on a cruise in AK.

For the Sculpting story, click here.
      For the Painting WIP, click here.

Oh, and I won a gold medal for him in the Open category. 

(Bear in mind that that is a 1" base)

• By TaleSpinner
      I've been working on my drakes/dragons for what feels like forever now.  Last week, Jim of Dark Sword brought me a copy of the metal masters for the small versions of them as they are being prepared for casting.  He gave me permission to paint one up as my ReaperCon entry, despite their not being released yet.  So here goes...

If you want to read the whole tale on the sculpting of these drakes, check out this thread in the sculpting section.

After prepping the mini, I primed it with my airbrush, using stylrnez.

About 6 months ago, I had started painting a resin prototype of this mini that I had printed.  That mini was a bit too small and had some errors in the scales on its tail, so I abandoned it.  That said, I am sticking fairly close to the color concept I had with that one and will be using it as a preliminary sketch of where I want this one to go.  Here is that sketch model:

On Saturday, I got together with a bunch of friends to work on our Open entries and I began the painting in earnest,  All paints are MSP.  The dorsal scales are based in Sharkbite, the sides in Marid Blue, and the belly in Grindylow Green. The belly was washed in a mix of Grindylow Green and Clear Pthalo Green.  I have more work to do on that shading yet though.  I then shaded the sides down to Sharkbite.  I also have more work to do on the deepest shadows there yet after I get the highlights done.

I also painted the eyes and teeth. 

Yesterday, I highlight the sides up to white and based the claws in Drow Skin.

I plan on spending every night this week working on it and have Friday off as well.  I hope I can be done on Friday, but we'll see.  I do have all my classes prepped, so am ready for ReaperCon other than this project and one other metal work project I have going.  It is going to be a busy week though.
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reaperhemians!

So my last four minis were a blister pack of Ral Partha Shadowrun Tribals, sculpted by Dennis Mize, with a date stamped on the bottom of 1992, so 19 years ago.(EDIT -apparently I can’t do math. I was thinking a moment ago, wait, my kid is twenty eight years old and he was born in 1992, so the miniature is actually 28 or so years old!)  I really enjoyed working on these figures.  The first thing was the Native American skin, for which I used the Redstone Triad to get figured out.  I hope it doesn't look too red.   The other thing was all the beads they have on their clothing, for which I gave up and decided to go with the same colors for each bead set, even though I though of doing different colors in the same string of beads but kind of gave that thought up because I didn't want it to take forever.  The other thing I kind of tried was to use a red, white and blue color theme for the accents, with their natural leathers and I threw in a bit of green and yellow.

So anyways, hope you all enjoy!
    • By KruleBear
      My 8 year old son painted these shortly after his birthday last spring. I actually liked his colors and the pattern on the Carnotaurus. Mostly I was over joyed that he didn’t glob the paint on for once. A few weeks ago I decided to paint the eyes, teeth, claws, and base for him. Them a coat of sealer.  I think they look great for the toy box. Here are my crappy before and after.

• By 72moonglum
      And hello again, my Reaper brethren and sistern, 

Another mini I finished just this afternoon, a Ral Partha Mage with Wand, sculpted by Dennis Mize back in the late seventies or early eighties.  He came from the Children of the Night range, and his blister pack was originally called Shadow Elves or something like that, but nowadays at Iron Wind Metals, he's just known as Mage with Wand.  I was going to use my normal camera to take these pictures, but my battery died and I didn't have any left at home, so took this one again too with my iPhone. he came out okay, not sure if too much contrast?

Unlike the Unicorn I just posted, this one is only two photos, a front and a back.  The only thing I'm not sure if I'm that happy with is his wand. The little jewel on top I was thinking of reddish-orange, but it may have turned out too much like the chestnut brown of the holding part of the wand.  Anyhoos, this was a relatively simple mini to paint, not a lot of dingley danglies, which makes for a pretty quick job.  In this blister pack he's got a female and two other male shadow elves.  I'm almost kind of inspired to paint the rest of them as well. I've already painted the female three times, but the other two males haven't done yet.  We'll see how inspired I get and if I throw them in my queue.  Being they were called Shadow Elves, I thought of a drow vibe and one of the versions of the chick I actually did paint as a drow.  Alas, we'll see what I end up doing, so many miniatures and only 30-40 years to live.

• Who's Online   23 Members, 1 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)