Sign in to follow this  
Schirf

77042: Orc Marauder (Sword and Shield) (Updated)

Looks good for TT and that front armor plate looks really good. i have yet to make convincing metals with nmm. I think your colors are placed in the right spot, the next step is to get the transitions smoother. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

Looks good for TT and that front armor plate looks really good. i have yet to make convincing metals with nmm. I think your colors are placed in the right spot, the next step is to get the transitions smoother. 

Thanks, yeah the blending on this was more frustrating than expected. I think I have a few ideas to change how I approach it next time.

• Like 1

Very good first attempt, and that armor IS spot on. For the sword, it is just as KruleBear aptly indicated, smoother blends is the way to go.. Which would imply lots and lots more layering or on a huge and flat surface such as this wet blending might work too.. Well, the good news is that all you gotta do is try and discover what works for you ^_^ 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Very good first attempt, and that armor IS spot on. For the sword, it is just as KruleBear aptly indicated, smoother blends is the way to go.. Which would imply lots and lots more layering or on a huge and flat surface such as this wet blending might work too.. Well, the good news is that all you gotta do is try and discover what works for you ^_^ 

I appreciate the feedback! The sword was actually the first part I painted and I found that no matter how much I thinned my lighter colors down I Was still getting lines when I tried to blend. At this point I feel like I'd need a few more tutorials before I tried a wet blend. But, I actually scraped the sword off last night to start over. Tried a handful of different approaches and I think after my 3rd redo I came up with something that works a little better for me. Didn't get to finish it last night but plan on doing that tonight.

Again, thank you for the feedback!

• Like 2

Even if the blends on the NMM are not all fully as smooth as they maybe could be, the reflections are in the right places and IMO they absolutely sell the whole "I'm actually made of shiny metal" look.

Great job!

Kang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks good, and visually reads as shiny metals. I agree with the blending on the blade. There are some good wet blending tutorials on YouTube, I personally learned a lot from the P3 Presents videos. But knowing WHERE to put the highlights on NMM is the hardest part of the technique for me, and you pulled it off excellently.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I decided to go back and start right in the middle and work my way up and down. Used a 50/50 pure black and dragon white mix for the base then added more white to get highlights and then black for dark and it smoothed out much better. I did have to fight the casting a little but I don't think that affected it too much. Definitely think it came out better this time...

5ab195b51dfa7_OrcMarauder1.thumb.jpg.219f167abb3874a8c3f3d602dae86904.jpg

5ab195bd8a72a_OrcMarauder2.thumb.jpg.33e412c86ddcdefff3dd181446e7b8d1.jpg

7 hours ago, Kang said:

Even if the blends on the NMM are not all fully as smooth as they maybe could be, the reflections are in the right places and IMO they absolutely sell the whole "I'm actually made of shiny metal" look.

Great job!

Kang

Thank you, appreciate it!

7 hours ago, Rogue1138 said:

Looks good, and visually reads as shiny metals. I agree with the blending on the blade. There are some good wet blending tutorials on YouTube, I personally learned a lot from the P3 Presents videos. But knowing WHERE to put the highlights on NMM is the hardest part of the technique for me, and you pulled it off excellently.

Thanks! I ended up watching the Hobby Cheating and the CoG video. I'll look up the P3 too though.

Edited by Schirf
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

Oh yeah, a significant step up...i may be a tad jealous now. ::):

Thank you!

• Like 1

I thought you did a nice job the first time, but you did a fantastic job on the touchup!  I've never done NMM before, I can only dream to do this on my first try.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2018 at 10:07 PM, Coydt said:

I thought you did a nice job the first time, but you did a fantastic job on the touchup!  I've never done NMM before, I can only dream to do this on my first try.

Thanks! I'm definitely much happier with the second version, but I'm still not sure if I'm sold on NMM in general tho.

On 3/21/2018 at 12:59 AM, VolksFest said:

Wow.. You nailed it allright! 

Thank you!

On 3/21/2018 at 6:54 AM, Geoff Davis said:

Right on! That sword looks super now.

Thanks!