Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

Australian Bristol Beaufighter Documentary

An Australian documentary about the Bristol Beaufighter serving in the South West Pacific during WWII...

Interesting for an American to see something like this, as most documentaries I see are either American, or British....

• Like 3

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely give this a watch. 

IIRC one of these had a brief cameo in Dunkirk. 

The Beaufighter wasn't put into service until July 1940, but Dunkirk was in May/June that year, so that would have been inaccurate.

Maybe a Blenheim?  

It's the same overall shape, but slightly shorter, has a turret on top and generally flew like a sitting duck...   

(Slow... )   

Longer but not really faster is a Beaufort Torpedo bomber.

They got it right on the third try...  

(Bristol Hercules engines instead of the weaker Taurus, and 4 x 20mm cannons. )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

The Beaufighter wasn't put into service until July 1940, but Dunkirk was in May/June that year, so that would have been inaccurate.

Maybe a Blenheim?  

It's the same overall shape, but slightly shorter, has a turret on top and generally flew like a sitting duck...   

(Slow... )   

Longer but not really faster is a Beaufort Torpedo bomber.

They got it right on the third try...  

(Bristol Hercules engines instead of the weaker Taurus, and 4 x 20mm cannons. )

Thanks for the information. I honestly don't know what it was in Dunkirk. I know it has the same basic shape and outline. They don't specifically state what model, it's in a scene where it comes over the yacht headed to Dunkirk and the captain just states, "It's one of ours." Or similar. 

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all there is to know about warbirds. Even about the ones I know some about.

I'm not one of those people who insists on movies being 110% accurate. Unless it's a documentary. Particularly like Dunkirk where they are using practical effects instead of CGI, because I know it's getting harder and harder to find some of the original equipment. 

Also, this thread has made my day better. 

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Green Eyed Monster
      Today marks the 76th Anniversary of what has been dubbed "The Longest Day", when the push to liberate Europe from NAZI Oppression and predation set foot on the beaches of Normandy, France.
      Please keep all the brave men [and the corp of Nurses who didn't have to but volunteered anyway] who sacrificed so much for all of us in that and the subsequent days and months.
      GEM
      Proud to be a US Navy Veteran
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!

Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.

In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!

But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:

Here's the scene:

Kauder reenters his tank (In German)

So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...

First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:

So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.

I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.

The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!

Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.
      I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.

I've got to dig deeper into it.
    • By knarthex
      So I decided to paint this gur next, but as I have Hair, I wanted him to as well, as he may end up as my PC...(Sculpting here)
      So after the GS dried, Primed with Stynylrez Black prime.
      GW Scorched Brown in his eyes, Reaper Linen white, WC One Coat Blue, then SC 75 Arabic Shade overall.

Thanks for Looking!

G
    • By knarthex
      So I finished up this teeny tiny figure for my ex last night, and thought I would show her off...

Thanks for looking!
      G

WIP here
    • By knarthex
      So at Reapercon 2018, I scored the Duskwarden poster of Thregan Helmsplitter for my work at the auction, and of course, being the Duskwarden*, I have a couple of the minis as well.

So I was thinking of using him as my next PC, but as I have hair, I wanted my mini to also...
      While working on another project with GS, as usual, I made to much, and decided to bite the bullet and do his hair...
      What do you think?

Comments appreciated!

George

Doesn't Jacob Knochengard look like me???
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)