Sign in to follow this  
SisterMaryNapalm

Any ideas on a robot head?

Hi guys,

So I got a greater number of Infinity Aleph minis from a guy who doesn't find them fit to his playstyle.

Anyway - I decided to create my own bases, opposite to the clean and attractive style of the Aleph minis using some kind of a long lost and ruined city.

Like this:

593a8dced136c1800a0e52833ab8882a-1000x49

I also got Atalanta and her SpotBot and I think that this spotbot has quite a personality and I want to create his base accordingly.

(Picture for reference)

c5e933b407f00300e094d59fa274503a--geek-g

So I thought that it would be fitting to have some kind of robot head or so he could stare at. (Like to 2b in the picture below - but being a mechanical rabbit with sad eyes).

530514-nier-automata-es-nombre-definitiv

So I thought about using a space marine head but I don't find it fitting to the whole setting and it would just disappear between the rubble and the debris I prepared for the base. And it wouldn't match the style of Infinity.

On the other hand - I tried using a bandai mecha/gundam head and it is way too big for a 25mm base. Does anyone have an idea which could help me solve the problem?

• Like 4

Hm. The size is the problem. I am limited by the base. So the head shouldn't be too big - on the other hand it shouldn't be so small that it is lost between all the other stuff.

How big is his base going to be?

Anything smaller than a 30mm base isn't going to have any room for "scenery" on it (at least without looking incredibly busy and cluttered), and even if you've positioned the figure at the far edge of the base it'll probably be too close to his feet to really be staring at without adjusting the angle of the figure's head, and/or posture.

You could probably find something from a 54mm mini, or one of the heads linked to above, but I'd look for something like plastic soldier model kits, either futuristic or from WWII with a gas mask, that you could modify to be more robot-looking and/or sculpt a "robot" helmet onto.

I'm not sure which scales most robots come in, but it'd probably be easier to find a human or humanoid head in the right scale and modify it.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

That was not only a great idea @Clearman - Thank you! - but also the advice I needed to figure out what I wanted @Mad Jack.

The base will be 25mm, but - as I know from the other figure I made - it is possible to make it into a small scenery piece. And I now know where I have to look!

Thank you, guys.

• Like 1

Why not go even bigger?  What if the entire base is a robot head, buried half underground, looking up at the mini?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was my idea, too. But it wouldn't match the rest of the armies bases. So I threw the idea overboard.

But I think what you suggested is worth a shot on a larger scale and I am currently working on a solution ^^

Thanks for the input.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lexomatic
      I do not understand how this mini is supposed to go together. There is a large hair bulge that is supposed to fit in the hollow of the back. I tried sliding and twisting and cannot get the head to fit on in a dry fit. I cant imagine doing this after painting.  I don't really want to try and paint  and be unable to get into corners. Has anyone posted this anywhere? Things got caught and I see white stress marks on the mini where I had to try and force it off and it makes me super nervous to try anything again.
      This is exactly why I would 100 times out of 100 take a poorly glued at the factory mini. It's effectively wasted money for me, because I can't do anything with it.

• By Tigermanic
      I recently bought the 2 headed Troll "Lardgulp" to use as a boss in an upcoming battle for my play group. The problem is that compared to the reaper black Rock Troll I received he is not so intimidating...

However, I've seen on other sites a new reaper black or bones 2 headed Troll for pre order. I was wondering if there were any pictures of it compared to the Rock troll, and when will it be available on the site properly?

• By WhiteWulfe
      I was thinking of some kind of playful title for the force, like "The Foxes That Yip At Night" or something more mysterious like "Crescent Moon Foxes" but in all honesty, I haven't really figured out a name for this force.  

This is a continuation of a previous thread where I set a goal to finish 20 minis in twenty weeks, but only wound up doing one.  Eh, world doesn't end, goal with that was to paint, and I did.  This thread is a breakoff out of that one, because I want to have my HaqqIslam force to have it's own thread, and can also give them a tad more room on my painting desk thanks to recent changes I've done (I have another three whole feet of desk I can work with that's focused on being a "build-up" area, which I've already found has had me tidying things up a tad more AND given me the ability to have room to sit down and do ANY kind of hobbying for even just 15-20 minutes, be it assembly, cleanup, (hopefully) sculpting, and/or painting.

To those wondering, in a standard 300/6 game, there's no way to field all of the units pictured here.  A small part of why I've picked up what I have is due to sales, a desire for a few minis before they fall out of circulation (since some when purchased had been discontinued five years prior), and a desire to be able to readily try out either mixed tactics with a vanilla HaqqIslam army, or to be able to try out one of the three main sectorials (Hassassin Bahram, Qapu Khalqi, or Ramah Taskforce).  At some point the Hassassin starter pack will be added in, as well as probably another boxed set or two (I'm looking at you, Zhayedans, Khawarijs', and Muttawi'ah's...  Oh, and blisters like the Hunzakut, Ayyar, Ragiks, and the Odalisque with Spitfire rescuplt to name a few) but a lot of that is mainly due to a desire for "completion" or just to have a nice looking force to choose from.  Or something - I am an indecisive fox after all 

^So here's where things stand at the moment.  First pic has most of the Red Veil and Beyond Red Veil boxed sets in it, while the second is a combination of Azra'il (the two big guys on 40mm bases) and the Qapu Khalqi starter force.  The reason why the ones that haven't been painted yet have milky looking bases is these pics were taken shortly after sealing those bases with watered town Tacky Glue.  Apologies for the out of focus photos, I wanted group shots, and was tired when I took them, and phone kept fighting me about what to focus on.

^Still to assemble we have these pieces.  I'm really looking forward to building up that Maghariba Guard (aka murder scorpion!  ...Or Maggie, as many local players call it), but those Bashi Bazouks (in the blisters at the bottom) I'm also rather curious about.
    • By Al Capwn
      So while I have painted other miniatures, this was my first Infinity model I have painted, and I want to emulate the box art in the style of Angel Giraldez. Here is the finished result. There are still a couple of details here and there that I could have touched up, but at some point you have to call it "done" and this was about as far as my patience was willing to carry me. Overall, I really enjoyed painting this miniature and I felt like I learned a lot about edge highlighting, darklining, and working in the initial contrast values. The Work In Progress thread is over here, for anyone interested seeing the process of this miniature along the way.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      And here we go again. I never get tired trying out new stuff and doing multiple projects at the same time.

The idea for this one approached me when I watched a Let's Play series by German Let's Player "DerHobbygeneral", who playes complex strategy games on PC.

That certain series was a mission in the strategy game "Combat Mission: Red Thunder", a game set on the Eastern Front of WWII. The mission is the recreation of the tank battle between German and Russian forces in the opening hours of Operation Bagration, the Soviet 1944 summer offensive that managed to crush the German Central Army and push the Germans back to the borders of East Prussia.

Combat Mission itself is a really complex game, simulating not only realistic projectile trajectories, armor and penetration calculation, but also randomly generating names for unit leaders and therefore emotionally connecting the player to his - or her - units.

One of these commanders was Unterfeldwebel Austermann, commandeering a Kpfw V Panther A, and throughout the game one of the main factors in stopping the Soviet tank assault at Studienka. The player and all commentators remarked on his excellent performance in the game and he became something like a meme. There were even suggestions of making a compilation of his best actions as some kind of memorial service in case he bit the dust.

And actually, a few episodes later, the Panther got hit a couple of times and was rendered inoperable. A shell even penetrated the front armor. While the battle for Studienka was raging, everyone focused on the question if Austermann and his crew would survive. And they did! What a remarkable turn in events! But I felt bad for the Panther, which was left behind.

Here's the scene - it's in German, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/EJfQAVfhEoc?list=PLa3dxHLq2CvZBNhkqqaTX7jvSe7iOUjTj&t=752

Then it struck me that maybe Austerman felt bad, too, and when I saw a certain figure on a miniature shop website, I KNEW I was going to make a diorama about it. So I bought a couple of figures and a cheap old Panther A kit and ... now I am on a new project again - YAY!

I haven't decided which crew I take. I like both sets, but I guess I will go with the Dragon set. The other set can be used for a different project. But I guess, I will see once the overall layout is set.

Let's go!
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 3 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)