1 wk old primer still tacky

Zelligar

First time forum user...

I primed a couple dozen minis last weekend and it's been seven days. Every mini is still tacky to the touch. Any ideas as to why? 

I used Krylon Color Master semi gloss primer. The minis are from the Dungeon Furniture Pack - Dungeon Saga, Zombicide 3D Doors, and some Space Hulk minis. 

I'm thinking I'll have to clean them all and prime them a second time (with a different primer). I'll probable try to paint one and see how that works, it'll be frustrating to have to clean them all. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you scrub the minis with detergent before priming?

Sometimes the mold release agents can cause this sort of reaction.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Krylon Primers.  But I do always use the flat primers, the sandable primer for preference, with light multiple coats shot from several different angles to get into the nooks and crannies, with a short drying time [3 - 5 minutes between coats].  I try for a thin even coat and then check that I have gotten all the mold lines/imperfections detailed before going any further.

You might want to try a heat lamp cure before stripping and starting over.  Nothing fancy, just an incandescent light as  heat source and some sort of containment to keep the heat from disipating too fast. Too much humidity or too low a temperature when the primer is applied can affect how long it takes and just how the paint will set up.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress/frustration/ what you find out.

GEM

BTW  Welcome to the Forums.  we're not all crazy but most of us are willing and even eager to try to help out.

• Like 1

I did not scrub the mini first, I've never done that with Reaper or GW mini's. I'll will do it next time though. Thank you for all the great advice. I'll keep a heat lamp on it tonight. I didn't realize I bought a semi-gloss until I got home. Thought what the heck, I'll try it out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zelligar said:

I did not scrub the mini first, I've never done that with Reaper or GW mini's. I'll will do it next time though. Thank you for all the great advice. I'll keep a heat lamp on it tonight. I didn't realize I bought a semi-gloss until I got home. Thought what the heck, I'll try it out. 

Were these Bones Minis?

Because those have a tendency of tacky primers..

Those needs to be washed/scrubbed and either use a Liner as primer or an undiluted first basecoat.

Plastics and resin always need to be washed because of the release residue that can cause problems with your paint sticking.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zelligar said:

I used Krylon Color Master semi gloss primer. The minis are from the Dungeon Furniture Pack - Dungeon Saga, Zombicide 3D Doors, and some Space Hulk minis.

I'm very surprised to see Space Hulk minis in that list.  I don't think I've ever heard of polystyrene causing problems.  Have primed successfully with a semi-gloss before?

With GW, you at least have sprue that you can test with.  The others may need to be taped off and have the bottoms of the bases tested when you prime again.

• Like 1

Up to this point I've never come across this issue before. None of my Bones mini have done this nor any of my old GW minis. There where no Bones minis in this batch. In the past I've always used GW primer. However I decided to try something different since I was almost out of primer. It seems most people use a primer from a chain store. I thought I'd give it a try and save a couple of dollars. I picked up a primer that was good for Metal (for my remaining lead minis),  wood (just in case for around the house), and plastic (99% of my minis now). The semi gloss primer was an oversight on my part. 

A lot of great feedback from everyone, thank you all. I'm going to incorporate ideas from this post. Thanks!

• Like 2

I wouldn’t prime with a semi gloss or a gloss. You may have a hard time getting acrylic paint to stick to that even if it dries out all the way and isn’t tacky any more. I would just strip and get some matte primer. But they it first and if it works then nothing lost.

The problem is that the primer that you used has a chemical reaction with the material that bone are made out of.  

Also this is a problem with vinyl kits, it will never dry.

This happens with a lot of different primers so you have to be careful.  Test the primer on a scrap piece before using it on your figures.

You need to strip the figure and re-prime it. Then you should be good to go.

I use Dupli-Color part# FP101 Spray Primer on bones miniatures (also good for metal, resin, and plastic)  and have never had this problem. I like the light gray color, it is flat but you are going to paint over it anyway.

I think Army Builder primers work, but test them first.

You can get Dupli-Color primer at most auto supply stores.

Welcome to the Reaper Forum

• Like 2