• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Guildenstern said:

Love them! 

Did you have any trouble fitting their backpacks onto them? I have one that, why I can't figure out, just doesn't seem to want to fit onto the Globadier :(

I love the orange eyes. Skaven usually have red, but taking it all the way up to orange looks really really cool!

I honestly can't remember, as I glued them.....  Well, when the 25th anniversary boxed sets came out, so that's what, ten years now? ^_^;;;;  I had originally purchased these guys for a six week build, followed by a month to paint kind of tournament but wound up backing out of the tournament and keeping the minis. 

Sadly I cannot recall if there were issues or not, but I suspect I wound up using a bit more superglue than usual.  I'll have to check the eight that aren't primed for any indications. 

As for the orange eyes, yeah, I really wanted something a tad different, and  I definitely like orange... And for the warlord, it seems to just fit that he doesn't have pupils - showing just how crazy for warpstone he's gotten or such. 

• Like 4

Something a little different today, but not quite totally different.  Today, things were assembled, and/or had their bases swapped!

Rat Ogres and the packmaster with the long pokey stick had their bases swapped, while five gutter runners were started from the beginning with new bases.  Two sprues and one box valiantly sacrificed themselves for this endeavour!  In other words.... FINALLY, one box is done - the Rat Ogres and giant rats one.  Well, at least taken off the sprues.  The giant rats are being held for other possible projects, being turned into swarms, or... Other.  Aka I'm going to be looking into the giant rats some other miniature companies provide, because apparently some of them are like... gnome sized.  Sounds harmless, until you realized it's an angry, toothy nightmare that AS BIG AS A GNOME!

IMG_20180923_201431.thumb.jpg.ed603dd80dd38a1374b840618799d6af.jpgIMG_20180923_215242.thumb.jpg.ddf9fd81c3808af0f512f653f6940037.jpgIMG_20180923_215309.thumb.jpg.319f7c0473bff23ee8bb20c454a45653.jpgIMG_20180923_215333.thumb.jpg.8f66934ada884bd223dbcf72a3bc86fa.jpgIMG_20180923_215408.thumb.jpg.39eceeb57b0877d99eb54ff417ae4b93.jpgIMG_20180923_215453.thumb.jpg.f2504ff22377d41f23dee0fdf5157ed2.jpg

So, first and foremost...  Man, that was a LOT of mold lines, and I'm guessing I didn't get them all.  Probably fairly certain of that fact, but it's life.  Some of these minis had already been assembled, and others...  Even today, I got the same feeling I probably had ten years ago of "screw it, just get them assembled" but this time I didn't give into that temptation.

Also, before I totally forget for the fourth time, the reason why the fourth packmaster hasn't been attached to his base is quite simple - glue is still drying, and I'm not gunking up a drill bit with gorilla glue.

So, why assemble this weekend instead of paint?  Well, two reasons...  One I was sick on Saturday (yay allergies!), and two, I'm wanting to start working on a sort of three month schedule per squad.  In essence, a month to assemble said squad, and then two months to paint.  Sounds like a bit of a stretching of goals at times, but at the same time, it means I'm aiming to have a semi-regular turnover of miniatures.  The other reason why it's longer than one might expect is because I know some squads will take longer due to fiddly bits (or they're just bigger!), AND because I'm also trying to keep my miniatures half Reaper half other stuff.  It's kind of a personal reason, but it also means I can work on various projects without getting too much "ugggggh, all this drybrushing of fur" or "ugggggh, it's the same blasted things night after night".

Arguably another is that omg, the sheer amount of mold lines on Games Workshop products compared to Reaper's stuff.  It feels like not much consideration was put into the sprues and their design other than "this is easier to pop out of a mold this way" instead of "huh, maybe we shouldn't have that mold line going through half a mini's worth of fur, how can we tweak this to work better".  This is something I would have accepted from a company 10-12 years ago, but now that I've had the joy of working on miniatures from various companies it's rather noticeable....  So is the fact a lot of these miniatures are multi-pieced, but seem to go together only a few select ways...

Right now I have these particular guys out for two reasons - first is they were technically the first and easiest box to finish, since most of my Rat Ogres had already been assembled.  Secondly, one has to start somewhere.  Also third, even though I said two reasons, so I suppose we'll call it two and a half.....  I'm hoping to have an "in progress" shot of what's been rebased, including ones that are being painted (and/or are finished) at the end of the month...  And I'm also hoping to have finished off my first ten rat squad of poison wind globadiers (I say first because I plan on buying minis for a second at some point) AND the squad of Night Runners by October 25th at the latest, preferably by the 21st...

Why those particular days?  Well, if I make the goal of the 21st, I'll have time to do the in progress for October pictures, and clean up my desk for a challenge that isn't really a secret anymore....  Dragons Don't Share - 2014 Edition (aka DDS2) 7-Day Goblin Challenge.  That's right, I plan on starting it on October 26th, coincidentally riiiiight as my vacation starts (I take Samhain off every year due to various reasons, although one of them was practical - it's just a tad longer than six months after my birthday, and the first four years at my current company I only had two weeks of vacation, so went a week each in April/October).  This is also arguably why there's been a good amount more activity from me the past two weeks...  It isn't just because I'm wanting to clear up my desk, but I'm also testing some of my various endurance limits as to what my body will let me get away with before I need to take a break of some description.  I'm also testing out various forms of speedpainting techniques now, so that way I can hopefully put them to use better when the time comes.

• Like 10

They're starting to multiply...  Half of a box is now based, with five of those having arms, and the other five needing arms.  Here's hoping for tomorrow to making it so that almost all of the box is based, and is at least legs/torso/head assembled! ^_^

IMG_20180924_220623.thumb.jpg.9c1a312e54fedf86c283262f2c276d63.jpg

Oh right.  The last packmaster has been put together too, although I suspect certain parts of him will be a bit annoying to paint, but I'd rather he be fully assembled now than have to try and do such halfway through. 

Kind of tempted to turn one of those flails into a rat-flail.... 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Exciting! 

...And is a rat-flail a bundle of confused and angry rats tied to a stick and used to beat other, larger rats? That's what I choose to believe.  

Can't remember if linking to webcomics is allowed or not outside of Off-Topic, so I'll say....

See the VGCats webcomic #110 and #223 for more information on what a rat-flail is in this particular context ^_^;;;

......Due to hunger, and waiting on the rice cooker, close-ups on some of the Skaven being worked on!

IMG_20180924_225152.thumb.jpg.46a807fb68c9933e017bbe2c588924c4.jpgIMG_20180924_225238.thumb.jpg.56ae5c01cab7c4f11b5dcd40eb5c4839.jpg

^The five Night Runners who just need tails before they go move onwards to priming.  Also, for those who don't know the Warhammer universe, Night Runners are agile mutant rats that focus on movement speed alongside hit and run attacks over actual survivability.  They're fairly close to the bottom of the totem pole in most Skaven circles...  And they're generally trying to prove themselves in combat in order to increase their own standings.  They tend to have a wide array of weaponry, although it generally seems to fall into the categories of "whatever was lying around not being used by stronger Skaven".

Apologies for the somewhat blurry and out of focus pictures, I went through multiple attempts to try and get this with semi-decent lighting (aka coerced use of my phone's "light").  I suspect I should just try angling my lights to give better coverage, but I don't like looking into the actual bulbs (and neither do my eyes, whooooah boy do they not like that)

IMG_20180924_225403.thumb.jpg.5ea5fff44381c8dab273f18002e1ffa1.jpgIMG_20180924_225412.thumb.jpg.a3c551e1b3e93fc32b7edf1e3dbd8c43.jpg

^The first of three packmasters from the Rat Ogre and Giant Rats box.  I like the pinchy claw, although I suspect that he will be "interesting" to paint due to the close proximity of that pinchy claw to his body.

IMG_20180924_225430.thumb.jpg.a6ee4dda6fef44d2fecfc7c2bac7131e.jpgIMG_20180924_225438.thumb.jpg.bc890a2ef9d7306e73094e60cf15b1ac.jpg

^My second packmaster.  This one is from the Isle of Blood starter set if I remember correctly.

IMG_20180924_225504.thumb.jpg.d238cc1327d44683862f8571c2bcb59c.jpgIMG_20180924_225509.thumb.jpg.3cb7fe634d8a37eb91b6eb5029e5fc7f.jpg

IMG_20180924_225522.thumb.jpg.1712e4aae85f8976f55fdc57eb977cad.jpgIMG_20180924_225530.thumb.jpg.45e45c93dd3b99a45d3b185595621d82.jpg

^Packmasters two and three from the Rat Ogre box.  Basically I wanted to base all of them in a similar manner as my Warlord, with a decent amount of rubble since they ARE sieging a city....

Packmasters tend to...  We'll call it "care" for the larger mutant creatures...  Typically ones they themselves have created.  By "care", the words "goad and coerceibly coax" probably are more appropriate, since they rule over the "lesser" beings through fear, intimidation, death threats, and of course thwacks with sharp pointy objects to keep the creatures in line, or pushing forward into enemy lines.  Arguably, in some ways they're kind of like mad scientists that focus on genetic experimentation, and those who are especially proficient at such tend to fall under the labels of "Master Moulders".

I'll have to look up the names of each particular weapon, because I suspect they have somewhat more intricate names beyond "pinchy grabby claw" :lol:

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'll have to look up the names of each particular weapon, because I suspect they have somewhat more intricate names beyond "pinchy grabby claw" :lol:

I dunno; I like the idea of these frantic vicious rat-bastards just using Buffy-speak to describe their horrible mad-science appurtenance. 

"Fools! I told you to bring me a spike-pronged stab-GRABBER! This is clearly a PRONG-spiked grab-STABBER, you cack-handed oafs!" *Skeletor squeal of frustrated rage*

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Rigel said:

I dunno; I like the idea of these frantic vicious rat-bastards just using Buffy-speak to describe their horrible mad-science appurtenance. 

"Fools! I told you to bring me a spike-pronged stab-GRABBER! This is clearly a PRONG-spiked grab-STABBER, you cack-handed oafs!" *Skeletor squeal of frustrated rage*

Yes-Yes Rigel speaks truth!

Now bring-bring more slavethings!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Rigel said:

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yes-Yes Rigel speaks truth!

Now bring-bring more slavethings!

With this kind of speak I'm getting the mental image of a mix-mash of Rita Rapulsa from Power Rangers, Hack and Slash from Reboot, and a dash of Speedy from Samurai Pizza Cats.... 

...i have a sudden urge to paint each of them in similar colours and/or themes to those previously mentioned characters now.... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Loving it!!

The older GW models were defintely a pita in terms of mold lines- I know I have several I always miss when doing my older stuffs. 

The very newest minis GW makes have much much more reasonable mold lines - and not in places like, across teeth, fur or tails. ><

Sadly not new Skaven (yet!)

RE: Giant Rat models - definitely take a look at Reaper's models! I have used several of theirs for rat packs/swarms and just plain old rats. And you can get them in bones so it's pretty cheap to do a rat swarm.

Anyway can't wait to see more! Hope your allergies leave you alone soon >< it's been a pain here as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guildenstern said:

Loving it!!

The older GW models were defintely a pita in terms of mold lines- I know I have several I always miss when doing my older stuffs. 

The very newest minis GW makes have much much more reasonable mold lines - and not in places like, across teeth, fur or tails. ><

Sadly not new Skaven (yet!)

Well, there are, and there aren't new Skaven.  Some of the heroes and leaders have been redone, and there is that set of five easy to build minis.  They're all relatively new.  But yeah, a good portion of the line is still from 6th edition, but I don't mind, since I like the artillery, and especially the Doomwheel!

Would be nice if they'd update their lines more often other than to increase heights and widen shoulder pads on their favorites (yup, playful shot at them updating just space marines :p) 

RE: Giant Rat models - definitely take a look at Reaper's models! I have used several of theirs for rat packs/swarms and just plain old rats. And you can get them in bones so it's pretty cheap to do a rat swarm.

I'm seriously contemplating Reaper as well as I think it was Otherworld Miniatures, as, like you said, Reaper has some nice looking rats and rat swarms in Bones, which is quite handy. 

I'm thinking several rat swarms from Reaper, as the "official" ones (not that I really care about official anymore after a lot of thought) are just downright terrible, and don't look menacing at all, whereas the ones from Reaper look like they could mean business.  Mix in some of the couple dozen loose "giant" rats I have and they would be some sizeable hordes! 

Oooooh, that Giant Wererat looks intriguing, the barrow rats also look quite lovely (and big!), and the six pack of rats is tempting...  I'll definitely have to keep those in mind, as they'd offer a rather nice variety to things! 

...and some of the wererats (berserker and stalker) could be used as Skavenslaves if so desired.  Hmmmmmm... 

Otherworld Miniatures also has those gorgeous giant rats which ALSO look like they could do some serious damage. 

Anyway can't wait to see more! Hope your allergies leave you alone soon >< it's been a pain here as well.

Thankfully, that particular one was eating something I thought was safe, so the problem has more or less passed with enough time.  Just saps the energy out of you.  Most of my allergies I deal with are in the spring it seems...  But yeah, allergies aren't a fun thing to deal with, doubly so when they're ones that sometimes manufacturers don't always bother to put on labels... 

• Like 2

Didn't do any work on Tues or Wed as was taking care of other things.  Today didn't see much, but still some progress either way.  First and foremost, the bases for two of my Rat Ogres got a layer of thinned gorilla glue applied over the sides and bottom of the cork on them, alongside some additional cork added in to play up more on the debris of a city being sieged...  Same treatment was done on the packmasters.  No pics of such. 

Other two clan rats I suspect will get some basing elements for similar reasons to why I wound up extending this "bits of demolished stuff" onto the bases for all ten of the Night Runners I currently have in construction.  Why?  Well, truthfully, the bases felt somewhat two dimensional, and so I figured it would add a little something extra, and I feel they did.  This was initially to cover up some mistakes and smudges from when I'd first pressed the bases as these are from my first batch, but I liked it so much they all got the treatment... 

IMG_20180927_230809.thumb.jpg.c9e3c423742982662f90c69e6547e5bf.jpgIMG_20180927_230828.thumb.jpg.ff54de6c73bed104b74f7d33007c6d09.jpgIMG_20180927_230849.thumb.jpg.426d592da710097da22b987e9662755e.jpgIMG_20180927_230907.thumb.jpg.8b69843c00f632f20debbc28f12448eb.jpg

Goal is to have all twenty of them fully assembled, and hopefully linered by the end of this weekend.  Sure, it's a bit of a tough goal, but I want to try and push for such because it would feel really, REALLY nice to have a squad based up, AND out of the box and off the sprues! 

There's also a temptation to try and get two of the poison wind globadiers finished off too, quite possibly even five of them.  I'd try for all ten, but I suspect even that would be reaching a fair bit, even if I do have to do a good amount of laundry this weekend :p  Then again, one technically never knows, since we are talking about something I've gotten a decent portion of the colour palette figured out for, so it arguably wouldn't be too too hard to assembly line March through them.  Time shall tell! 

• Like 7

More progress!  Actual painting will be happening soon, I just really really REALLY want to get these guys assembled before the end of the month! ^_^;;;;

Also tried something a bit different with the lighting..  Aka I moved my painting lights so that they had a more even lighting across the minis when taking pictures.  Seems to give better lighting, but I'm curious as to thoughts.

IMG_20180928_231429.thumb.jpg.276dd9e966e0a1f9562ac9474374f6aa.jpg

^Half of the first squad of Night Runners is assembled, WHOOOOOOO!

IMG_20180928_231537.thumb.jpg.f74e026bba692bd8ceec2353df58c27a.jpgIMG_20180928_231547.thumb.jpg.dc279e91bfd280cf481b7f63ddf2344b.jpg

^First two Rat Ogres.  I believe these two are the ones from the Isle of Blood starter box, as they're more "simplistic" assembly.  These two will quite possibly be the ones I do up "inspired by" Hack and Slash from Reboot, although I'm still debating such.  On the flipside, figuring out how to have those colours look good is a tempting challenge in and of itself...  I'm still going to have to think on it for a bit longer.

Oh right!  They got some basing elements added as well, because I didn't like that they had "just" a flat, rolled base.

IMG_20180928_231618.thumb.jpg.7c1cc369e77458599be7981b84227d0d.jpgIMG_20180928_231630.thumb.jpg.7c74c38674c13af4965ac269436b8b3f.jpg

^My other two Rat Ogres.  yup, guy on the left has two left arms.  Before they can be based, they're definitely going to need some GreenStuff love, as those gaps are just... Hideously large.  Oh well, it's not like I was planning on greenstuffing a Minotaur Demon Lord this weekend or anything! ~_^  (aka I suspect those gaps will be going buhbai at some point this weekend)

IMG_20180928_233322.thumb.jpg.a1338b1b1681283d7c4617efe9dbe7ab.jpg

^Aaaaand a quick in progress pic of where things stand for the other twenty.  Bases were done up first this time and are drying...  Tomorrow will be mould lines, pinning, and of course more assembly, hopefully with all ten of them fully assembled by end of day tomorrow, as that would be lovely!

• Like 8

Ohhh, my poor poor right paw o_O  Yeah, not attempting to do all the various bits (six per mini!) PLUS drilling the two 1mm holes and cutting brass rod to size on TEN minis in one go.  Well, okay, it wasn't one go, after the first five (and legs/torso on the second five) I had to stop for a while, as my offhand was just soooo cramped up.

Anyways....  We have more cutty-stabby action!

IMG_20180930_210512.thumb.jpg.cd44657ee8dea075a3a00f6a72e6be51.jpgIMG_20180930_210600.thumb.jpg.04d46ea4784cf4607727ee9022f912e2.jpg

^That's the last ten - of that box anyways.  Reason why only one with fighting claws?  Uhm...  Apparently I'd already made use of it on the last sprue, so I suspect it'll turn up in the other box and/or in my army box where there's a good amount of Night Runners that are just torso and legs on 20mm square bases.  I suspect I'll have to make up some bases for those guys, because I've used up most of the ones I've made now, although I might have a few more kicking around in a different stash.  I'll figure that out later.

IMG_20180930_210746.thumb.jpg.49c1d566d28aabdbb27eb7c5816d6004.jpg

^So there's what all twenty of them look like together...  Four guys have shields, I'll be adding those on later during painting because otherwise those left arms will be an absolute royal paint to deal with.  Also, no idea why the particular distortion in the corner.  I playfully blame my mobile phone for such, since it really doesn't seem to like me trying to get accurate colours... Or something.

IMG_20180930_211148.thumb.jpg.0a817e21f10f2347b3595d84bc8fa17a.jpg

^It's the end of the month, and I've wanted to have a pic of how the army currently looks....  At least the ones that have been re-based, and are in various stages of painting, up to and including actually fully painted in my eyes.  Apologies for the hasty assembly of them, but with me working towards getting my desk cleared up for October 26th and my attempt at the 7 day Goblin challenge on DDS2 my focus has been predominately on trying to finish up what I can and actually getting it off my desk.  Besides, I haven't posted a thread to the Show Off section for, uhm... A while....  And I kind of have this personal goal to have had one miniature finished every week - a goal partially set by the RPChallenge thing, but also one that I was originally using to help keep me motivated with painting and whatnot.  It's the tail end of week 39 of the year 2018, and I've managed to finish off, uhm...  Eight if you include the Warlord I'll be posting in the Show Off section fairly soon (aka I finally have pictures I'm happy with, and therefore will be writing it up - kind of had to have room to do it too).

While I'd love to hit up those Night Runners with primer, I suspect they'll be set aside for now as the goal truly is to clear up my desk in preparation for the apocalypse...  Goblin Doomsday?  Ah unno. :P

• Add a bit of rubble to the eight unpainted Poison Wind Globadiers, since that seems to be a common theme I'm going for (early first week)
  • Grey liner all over three of the unpainted Poison Wind Globadiers, and then have them ~finished~ (first week - for those counting, assuming all goes well I'd be up to 13/40 minis, so looking better)
  • Rinse, Lather, Repeat on the other five Poison Wind Globadiers (second week - would make it 18/41 minis for RPChallenge)
  • Greenstuff the gaps in my Rat Ogres (sometime in the first two weeks)
  • Said Rat Ogres getting linered! (debating on which colour - third week)
  • Finish my Warplock Engineer by the end of the third week (would put me at 19/42 minis for RPChallenge)
  • Continue with assembly of my second box of Night Runners.  I'm aiming for 7 assembled a week, since the goal is to keep that fourth week more or less clear
  • Fourth week of October I'm leaving empty, as relaxation before a totally apocalyptic doomsday... thing... happens.  Aka I booked a week off ages ago starting at end of work day on the 26th, and shortly after supper I suspect will be when I start that actual challenge.  I strongly suspect no work will happen to this army during that time! :ph34r::devil:

Certain parts of my ideas are kind of...  Overenthusiastic?  Possibly over-reaching?  Sure, the idea of assembling five minis, and painting five other minis every week could very well be exhausting, but at the same time, it's steady progress, and I really do want to not only meet that goal of finishing these guys up (including any possible additional purchases of things like siege weapons and spiked bladed wheels of ABSOLUTE DOOOOOOOM) by end of 2019, but I'm also kind of hoping to be able to BEAT that by possibly a week or two, maybe even a full month.  At the same time though, I'm trying to figure out a pace that will let me work on this army, as well as Furiously Fluffy Howling Hounds.  This is also arguably why, as much as I want to see them get painted, my Tau (as well as my Catachans!) have been backburnered.  Two armies plus two dragon "side projects" at a time is more than enough to keep me occupied, and painting a variety of things.

• Like 9

Bit of an update from last night's painting....

Paints used: 

9065 Grey Liner, 9402 Heraldic Red, 9416 Spectral Glow, 29813 Bright Turquoise, 29854 Arctic Fox

IMG_20181005_060657.thumb.jpg.13e3f47aff41e4b55ce93e53c0a34c1c.jpg

^So first and foremost, grey liner on the four packmasters!

IMG_20181005_060507.thumb.jpg.95783f693a6dee9f525dedfa132de19d.jpgIMG_20181005_060522.thumb.jpg.111face6e53ec0486a3509e4f5753845.jpg

^Not much progress happened on my Warplock Engineer, although I did change the colour of some of the wiring from that Citadel Foundation colour over to Bright Turquoise HD, and it's a colour I'm liking a LOT more....  Also gave his pants a quick sort of wash in Heraldic Red, which is giving it a tone I like a lot more...  Now if only I could actually decide on what colour to make the other wire, but I'm kind of thinking some sort of purple...

IMG_20181005_060627.thumb.jpg.1daf9a9e11a5a4a2571d202047330b63.jpgIMG_20181005_060636.thumb.jpg.85192469c1de5d59dda7256242c6b15a.jpg

^First up is the Poison Wind Globadier that didn't get too much experimentation on....  Goggle lenses got Bright Turquoise HD, and a wash of Heraldic Red was applied to the more raised areas of his tunic, as well as somewhat randomly along the street hockey ball of doom...

IMG_20181005_060541.thumb.jpg.a8e2a50c680c7df59bcae48dd37d69a8.jpgIMG_20181005_060552.thumb.jpg.3128128a9d3149783833be5280f0502d.jpgIMG_20181005_060609.thumb.jpg.7786251151546ea4fddcd91111b3e685.jpg

^Decided to try out a thing or two on this guy after giving him the same steps as the other Poison Wind Globadier...  I whipped up some sort of Aquafresh toothpaste paint combination light pink from Arctic Grey, Heraldic Red, and Spectral Glow originaly as something that might "pop" when used to fill in the base, but I decided why not, and gave it a shot for building the initial highlight area.  Probably should have done the shadows first, but I did kind of already have said paint mixed, and figured why not see how it plays out.  Basically, this experiment is to see if I can wind up adding in a touch more detail (and contrast?) to it all, while only adding it a bit more time to each of the minis - in essence, a balance between a quick tabletop paint job and using some of the more display oriented techniques.  I suspect I'll want to add a less obvious layer of colour between the two extremes, and then get in a layer for the shadows before I go in with a wash on the tunic itself.

• Like 8