Sign in to follow this  
pcktlnt

77366: Shadow Hound (WIP)

I purchased the Shadow Hound in Kentucky and was painting bits of it while in the hotel. The initial plan for the mini was to paint half of it and leave the other half translucent. Now that I have a base coat and some colors on it, I'm not too sure. Perhaps if it was clear translucent instead of purple it could work? Please let me know your thoughts.

20180317_214139.thumb.jpg.db755bc32316bc1dc7e2596e317ce371.jpg

20180318_190005.thumb.jpg.d25b53fa681296cc69a6e6e6bee199ef.jpg

20180318_190023.thumb.jpg.1a258b266ee9d2f5fcf93a5267861cbf.jpg

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 11

27 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

You could use some Tamiya Clear Gloss to make the rear part more translucent? 

Sounds like some shopping is necessary. :D

• Like 1

Alternately, could you darken the creases of the back with opaques for a mixed effect?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Alternately, could you darken the creases of the back with opaques for a mixed effect?

Like what I have done with the left arm, but less coverage?

21 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Like what I have done with the left arm, but less coverage?

Something like that, yeah. Or more focused in nooks and crannies, leaving the peaks translucent. *shrug*

• Like 1

Something like, take blue liner and thin it , then apply it over a small area. With a second fully dry brush, absorb the areas that would be highlights, allowing only the dips and crevices to take the tint. Basically a "controlled ink wash" will help define the shadows and still leave the translucency.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Standifer
      This my orc warlord on a warg. It is a Nolzurs deep cuts orc on dire wolf miniature. 
      I did most of the painting in one day, I do need to touch up the base and redo the finish on the flag, but otherwise he is done.
      I was aiming for a Hound of the Baskervilles look for the Warg. 

Now he just needs an actual name besides Orc Warlord....
      Thanks for looking!

• By pcktlnt
      It has been a year and a half since I painted. I have lined a few bone minis and this is the first of my practice pieces. I spent 2 hours on the cloak. Not happy with it, but I want to move on to the other parts. 

Brown liner to "prime" the bones figure. Then 9418 thru 9420 triad for the cloak.
      Oceanic Blue 
      Tropical Blue
      Glacier Blue

• By Citrine
      Decided to boost my painted minis numbers in January by speed painting some translucent fire spell effects.  Bones 77080 and 77081

• By Disciple of Sakura
      I got these guys painted sometime last year, but I'm just now getting around to showing them off. They were spray painted with a glow in the dark green spray paint, which I was expecting would tinge them with a spectral look from above, and it didn't work, so I just sprayed the whole mini, then inked them, dry brushed them, and then did the painting on the bases and weapons and such. I'm pretty satisfied with them overall, though I think the eyes aren't as obvious in the photos as they should be. 

Oh! And they glow in the dark a bit, though that's hard to photograph...

• By Shadespyre
      Dire Wolves are the tradition pets for AD&D Hill Giants, so I bought this fine fellow to replace the smilodon that came with my Hill Giant Hunter.

I always use reference pictures when painting real creatures, and this looks a bit like a real black wolf, so I'm quite happy. There are a lot more colours and steps in this chaps fur than on any of the accompanying giants, though I don't know if it shows.

The joy of Bonesium means that I could easily cut off his base and glue him directly to this piece of actual granite. I recommend doing this before ANY paint is applied to either surface, to get the best bond. Else you often pull the paint off the rock and have to re-glue it, in my experience.

• Who's Online   34 Members, 1 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)