Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is a bunch of minis in one. I was looking at my pygmy mammoth mini a couple of months ago and I just felt the need to dangle something from its tusks. I found some little bottles I had bought years ago from a Michaels or Joann and the rest of the ideas followed smoothly. I chopped some phosphorescent plastic from a little dino model you find in Fred Meyer and put those in the bottles and they do glow in the dark. I wasn't able to take a good photo of that, alas. I first saw the idea of a large pack animal with lanterns on it, traveling into an uncertain world, years ago when I saw this art: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/7638820 and fell in love with it.
List of materials
- Pygmy mammoth https://www.reapermini.com/search/mammoth/latest/44111
- Shadoweyes Catfolk rogue https://www.reapermini.com/search/cat rogue/latest/44118
- Adventuring accessories https://www.reapermini.com/search/02638
- Adventuring accessories II https://www.reapermini.com/search/02963
- green stuff (I used the silicone sculpting brushes and vaseline to get this level of detail)
- little bottles from Michaels or Joann
- phosphorescent plastic (I used the plastic support for the dino pieces from JARU, Inc. Dino World Glow Fossils - no dino pieces were harmed in the making of this mini)
Here are more close up photos.
And here is the making process.
He even has a uvula :)
I chopped off the platform and the swords from the rogue cat. And then I cut off its legs and tail so i could reposition them on top of the mammoth.
And then I summoned the green stuff.
It was really hard to detach the sacks from their metal anchor. I was basically chewing away at the metal with my pliers. But eventually they came off.
Priming this was challenging.
I sealed the base with a heavy layer of gloss sealer later on.
Invoking more green stuff, this time for the cape, blanket edges and the harnesses.
I used the cap on one of my new brushes to support the rolled up corner of the cape overnight otherwise it would have fallen flat. I smeared it with vaseline so it wouldn't stick and become a problem once the green stuff dried.
Sculpted the edges of the blanket because just painting the dangly threads on the mammoth looked flat and most unsatisfactory.
I think I'll name her Shen. And have her wreck havoc for my players in my D&D campaigns.
I don't have photos for the harnesses because after staring at this mini for so long I got dizzy and had to lie down. And then I forgot to take pics and I finished the piece. The harnesses are just twisted long strips of green stuff. I measured the distance from the tusk to the hand and then made them and let them dry before attaching them.
Hope you enjoyed this build :)
To complement my Ent I wanted to sculpt a small toad man. None of yhe available miniatures really fit the bill, so I started from scratch.
After bulking out the body with greenstuff and milliput (to make it less bendy) I made good progress with the skin texture. The combination of micro beads, poppy seeds and super glue applicator tube produced a really nice warty skin texture.
Next are the arms and legs. He will be a plain toad, only a hand weapon will be added inspired by Polynesian arms.
By Kyra Taryn
Finished both of these awhile ago, but finally had time to take pictures now that I'm on "vacation" during quarantine.
My first conversion is for my Fallen Aasimar's necrotic shroud. I used Terezinya, Bonepander Wizard (77173) and the wings from the Bone Devil (77325). This was also my first time painting the Bones line. All my previous minis were metal and I have to say I learned my lesson. While the plastic made the conversion much easier, I just don't like the way my acrylic paints sit on it compared to the metal. Also the lower detail is disappointing. But what do I expect for a fraction of the price though, amirite? (I shared my original aasimar mini in a previous thread.)
I also completed my first green stuff sculpt from scratch. This is my aasimar's spiritual weapon: a scythe crowned with a raven skull. The magic effects are made with hot glue, which I learned from The Crafting Muse and EonsOfBattle. I thought it was a super cool trick, and I even managed not to burn myself. I'm really happy with it overall for a first attempt.
Feedback is welcome!
This is my first try at using Milliput to sculpt. One of my players has a Druid with a turtle shell shield so I made the flat metal looking shield of Tolan into a turtle shell. I may wash or glaze over the shield to tone down the contrast. Not sure what color to use though.
Who's Online 5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)