Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
It this yesterday because it gives me a nice in-between mini from my reaper eldritch demon and my Cthulhu.
This is about 90 minutes
Lots of inaccessible spots and texture which makes painting not fun. Will be making this shorter than planned as a result. Everything will get a flesh wash. I'll do some eyes and claws, then a medium and ink wash of the clear plastic water.
This grouping is a little eclectic because I was experimenting with a new medium.
While I was at Reapercon, James Wapple introduced me to the joys of using oils to help me work on my tabletop minis and my blending. When I got home I found I had everything lying around except for some quality thinner so I got some of that, sat down and gave it a try. He has a number of YouTube videos describing the technique better than I ever could but it basically uses the fact that oils have an exceptionally long drying time to allow for some really nice wet blending without developing chalkyness or the layer steps I always get in dry blending. The oils being a heavier body also seems to help me give the mini a fur effect of different hairs across the body
What I found was a new method, for me, that should help me clear a lot of army minis and take them from primed to done and looking good in a very short period of time. First thing I tried wss a whitehorm stag that I had sitting next to my desk when I got home. It was by wizkids and pre primed so easy pickens
including setup that was about 40 minutes work and my first try. Next up wss a hippogryph which has been haunting my shelf of shame for 4 years now because I could never get the horse part right
While not as good on the feathers (feathers aren't easy for me and these are barely scored enough to show detail) I finally got some results on the horsey part that I actually liked: nice warm red tones and highlights that don't look painted on. The chest feathers in was also able to get some highlights into that don look drybrushed. And again, this was another 40 minutes or so.
Finally I decided to try some rats that I needed for a (hopefully) upcoming Rangers of Shadow's Deep campaign. Since the method Scott showed me uses #6 and #8 brushes I was curious how it would work on Such a small mini. I think it did very well, again giving me noce highlights in the fur without looking drybrushed and without taking a huge amount of time (30 minutes for the lot)
Not too bad for my first few tries. I especially like how the greys and browns turned out but even the white rats have some character.
I am certainly going to give it some more time and minis, both for animals and a huge group of Wrath of Kings minis that have languished in the back of my shelves for years. Hope you like what you see. They are my first trys and I really like the results
Painted this for the Lost Mines of Phandelver module that I am running. Venomfang will be reoccuring throughout their adventures.
I painted this faster than usual, but would not call it speed pained because it still took me about a month. I put a bit more into it than my usual speed paints, but a little less than others. It is always hard from me to take pics of larger models, probably should have taken this one outside, may have benefited from the background trees and grass more than most other models.
This is the WizKids unpainted shark. I saw at the store and was not prompted to buy it. I then saw on these boards the Unpainted WizKid thread and saw they were discussing this model, and noted the extra fin mini. Now seeing the fin, kinda pushed over the top to buy this - as you can put down the fin as a party is rowing across the bay, and then after they notice it coming their way, place this thing coming out of the water at them that they now need to contend with!
So anyway, a few mold lines needed fixing and gap at base of jaw that needed greenstuff repair. I did a good job on fixing back mold line, but line btw left fin and lower jaw could have been worked more. I do not remove the preprimer it comes with, I file/remove as best I can the lines, then use paint on primer (usually three coats) to smooth back out.
And last image are paints used in case anyone was curious.
We're starting a new 5th Ed D&D campaign in a couple weeks. I decided I might play a rogue, so I wandered down to the LFGS at lunch and looked at what was there (because I obviously have NO miniatures already I could use).
Spotted the Tabaxi Rogue female pack from WizKids (I like the sculpts and poses of the female figs more than the male ones) so that's going to be my next character.
Cool fig, primer isn't too bad. Some nasty mold lines but I only have a week to paint this so I'm not messing with them. Maybe after I'll clean up the "advanced" version and do a better job on her.
And after some time fiddling with colours.
Well, that looks a mess. Just figuring out colours.
Skin base is MSP Alien Flesh. Cloth is MSPB Succubus Kiss. Had AV Model Air Black handy so used that to start base coating metals. And leather is MSP Leather Brown. Still not sure on the leather but I'll give it some time to think about it and maybe try a wash on it.
Who's Online 19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 64 Guests (See full list)