New edition CAV rules

Fatboy

Forgive my ignorance as a newb if this is a stupid question. I had heard that the new edition of rules for CAV was due out sometime in the middle of this year. Does anybody know more accurately when it is due now that we are closer to the prophecied time?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about new rules but the third printing of the rulebook is suppose to be coming out sometime after the Warlord rulebook and probable the infantry scrimish (brain dead can't spel) game based in the CAV universe is in the works...

Now in the 3rd printing (not edition) there is suppose to be some update to the CAV storyline including a new galaxy war. And they might throw in some more optional rules but from what I've understood there isn't any plans change the basic rules ::P:

Not that I'm aware of... other then "coming soon"

Personally I think they like to tease us, holding a carrot out in front of us... keeping us stumbling forward after the veggie...

THEY ARE EVIL!

but then what should I expect from a company called Reaper <_<

At least though when it does come out It'll be worth it... Reaper always comes though in the end :wub:

The 3rd printing is basically the rulebook but with all the errata and modifications that've been generated over the last 3 years or so.

And I'd expect to see it in the next couple of months. I don't think it'll make Origins, and perhaps not GenCon, but after that it shouldn't be to long.

That's not offiial though, just my guesstimate.

I can comment on some of the Changes to the CAV universe.

The Galaxy War may be over, but Tensions are coming to a head right now...See, the Planetary Governments were so weakened by the Galaxy War that they were essentially forced into allowing the UCORs to become Legitimate governments...

Well, now these new Governments are feeling some of the pressures from their (business, and socio-political) competitors....

Another War is coming, and things are going to get shaken up dramatically.... And don't think the old Planetary Governments are going to do nothing while the new Kids are beating each other up....

It's not safe in your cozy little cockpit anymore, baby! :devil:

It's not safe in your cozy little cockpit anymore, baby! 

it never was........

are ya paying attention, Prefect? we may have a little business to tend to, but then again, even Ray Charles would've seen that coming.... Business' becoming governments, heh.

Como seimpre, mi soldado's estada listo.

fuego e corozon!

hehehehe.

That's an interesting objection to raise.

While the CAV universe is certainly short on fluff in comparison to BattleTech, this is only because Battletech has just gobs and gobs and gobs of fluff. I mean, we're talking encyclopedic here.

What I say to this is -- CAV's only been around for a year or two. Battletech has had twenty years to accumulate all that fluff.

What I say next -- CAV is the only game world out there with a good selection of sci-fi mecha that hangs together well and has a chance of standing up to Battletech's fluff. Jovian Chronicles and Heavy Gear have their good points, but they were created as role-playing games, not board/minis games, and it shows. Sci-fi mecha RP seems to have a distressing tendency to go flat despite all the wonder and glamour of the universe it creates, while the board games, being action-packed combat fests, attract and keep players.

I dunno. Within a couple years of the launch of Battletech (not to be confused with Battledroids) they had gobs and gobs of fluff when they introduced the House books (I recently picked up the long OOP House Liao SB for a reasonable $36 off Ebay!). CAV has yet to even approach that level of depth and sophistication...you could know more about the prominent religions of the Federated Suns than you could on any one war in the CAV universe!

Damon.

Personally I see CAV's current lack of fluff as a great oppertunity for players and fans to contribute to the game and the community in a way that is "near" impossible to do in the BT universe. Of course, this oppertunity also exists because of the evil :devil: masterminds at Reaper actually (and actively) comunicate with their fans and players.

Also the past 20 yrs of fluff has made the BT universe hard and rigid, unyeilding to change... A good example to this is the fluff for Mechwarrior Dark Age and the reaction it received from the game's veteren players. :rock:

And ( i might be mistaken) in the first couple years BT didn't have much fluff except from the orgininal Techinical Readout Book :blink:

Also the past 20 yrs of fluff has made the BT universe hard and rigid, unyeilding to change... A good example to this is the fluff for Mechwarrior Dark Age and the reaction it received from the game's veteren players.

Erm...no. The main reason for all the flaming of MWDA is that the actual background (as well as the game imo) is just a bad remake of the original setting with even more logical and plot holes than CBT. Add some of the worst fiction I've ever seen et voila...

BTT:

I'd also like to see a 'Sydes Guide to the Galaxy'. :down: One day...

Erm...no. The main reason for all the flaming of MWDA is that the actual background (as well as the game imo) is just a bad remake of the original setting with even more logical and plot holes than CBT. Add some of the worst fiction I've ever seen et voila...

Ooh not so sure about that. I finished Coleman's By Temptations and by War a few weeks ago and it was one of the better Btech novels I've read, and I'm currently reading York's book, which is so far decent. I've read all the books in the series, and they are IMO no better or worse than the Battletech fiction, which I've read for a long time (I have 1st print of Decision at Thunder Rift as well as Sword and Dagger, which I bought new).

I think the problem is that the background is NOT Battletech, but MWDA. A lot of Battletech fans had a...bad reaction to the game, so they'll be more inclined to dislike anything from the "new" regime than not, and will justify their reasons no matter whether they're true or not. I know; I was one of them.

And ( i might be mistaken) in the first couple years BT didn't have much fluff except from the orgininal Techinical Readout Book

Nope. Mechwarrior RPG (which had a lot of fluff) was published 1986, exactly 1 year after the 2e boxed set. House Steiner SB (1st in the series) was published in 1987. The series was over by 1988.

Damon.

Ooh not so sure about that. I finished Coleman's By Temptations and by War a few weeks ago and it was one of the better Btech novels I've read, and I'm currently reading York's book, which is so far decent. I've read all the books in the series, and they are IMO no better or worse than the Battletech fiction, which I've read for a long time (I have 1st print of Decision at Thunder Rift as well as Sword and Dagger, which I bought new).

I've read eight of the ten published novels and liked four of them (Ghost War, A Call to Arms, By Temptations and by War and Fortress of Lies). Especially the 'Proving Grounds' trilogy by Del Rio is even worse than Far Country (and they already announced more novels written by the two autors behind the Del Rio pseudonym. Oh joy).

I think the problem is that the background is NOT Battletech, but MWDA. A lot of Battletech fans had a...bad reaction to the game, so they'll be more inclined to dislike anything from the "new" regime than not, and will justify their reasons no matter whether they're true or not. I know; I was one of them.

I played both games and translated together with other fans a huge part of INN for two german MWDA fansites; so I can honestly say that I've seen the good and the bad of both game systems and fluff. CBT is far from perfect but MWDA is worse.

And ( i might be mistaken) in the first couple years BT didn't have much fluff except from the orgininal Techinical Readout Book

Nope. Mechwarrior RPG (which had a lot of fluff) was published 1986, exactly 1 year after the 2e boxed set. House Steiner SB (1st in the series) was published in 1987. The series was over by 1988.

Damon.

Hmmmm doin' the math here... 20yrs... its now 2004... so BT started in '84... so that would be two or so years after the first game appeared... see my point? :poke:

And as far as MWDA fluff... yeah they did try to return to the orginal concept of the BT universe (in a kind of "those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat history" ). And yeah they did create a hole in their story community by skipping a chapter in the fluff material (and leaving it to be played out by "classic" battletech).

But let's be honest the real reason vetern player hated the MwDA was because it was different. Humans are very resistant to change. A simple deviation from the normal and they go ballistic. When WIzkids anounced they would be making a battletech game, vetern thought... well I have no idea what they thought but it wasn't what they got. MWDA is a click based game set in the battletech universe not a simplified version of battletech. And its not a bad game... as a matter of fact its very simular to CAV... the major difference is the players and how wizkids/topps handle things.

And while Reaper does need to develop more fluff I'd rather see well thought out and tested material the a flood of a bunch of crape' that filled with errors... :poke: