Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Some time in the late 1990s I did an entire lizardman army for the fantasy wargame Raven by Harlequin miniatures. I am thinking of rebasing and touching up this army as a generic, system agnostic one. That army had some smaller raptors and also raptor riders. The paint scheme here is similar to how I painted those lizardmen back in the day, so these raptors should fit right in with this army.
44081: Raptor Hunting Pack (5)
The paint scheme is rather simple and quick to paint and does not really require much precision:
Deep green over black undercoat, followed by a heavy drybrush with a bottle green, such as Dark Angels Green or similar. Over this a lighter drybrush on the legs/arms and very very lightly on the belly and underside in general with an olive green such as 70.967 Vallejo Model Color Olive Green or the old citadel goblin green.
The back gets some reddish brown or terracotta, followed by a sandy yellow/ochre that leaves some of the reddish brown visible around the edges. On this a light drybrush with 70.976 Vallejo Model Color Buff or similar bone yellow colour. Mix in some white for a final highlight if desired. Gloss black on claws, paint in the eyes as follows: the entire eyeball and eyesocket in black or something very dark. The eyeball in buff, then some transparent yellow (or citadel cassandora yellow shade) with some thinned transparent orange in the middle. When dry, a thin vertical line of black, followed by gloss varnish on only the eyeballs. Teeth in a light beige or whatever you like.
I made 45x30 oval bases for them.
I need to say that the Bones Black material is very good for PVC minis, and far superior to the regular white Bones material. But these minis have some questionable detailing around the hands and feet. Or should I say lumpy bits at the end of the legs? It would seem that the factory has maybe pulled a fast one on Reaper and the QC has let us all down on these specific minis by not spotting this and having it fixed before signing off on them.
I don't really mind all that much as the bits in question are for the most part hidden in the basing flockmix, but it is a bit frustrating knowing that they both could and should have had crisper details on the feet and hand claws.
Oi you lot! Gerroff my lawn!
Hello Reaper friends! You might remember I did a whole tribe of Hill Giants on a display board, with hex bases?
This is my follow up to that, this time: Stone Giants.
Errrm, it all got a bit out of hand, and I'd LOVE some input from you all, please
This is where I'm at after a week and I'm a bit stuck tbh.
I think I need to decide more about what the "finish" will look like before I go a lot further. Once I cover that foam with more than paint it's going to be harder to make changes. I'm thinking of sort of "cladding" it in pieces of slate, with sculpted bits / groundwork in the gaps?
I'd also love to hear suggestions for other miniatures and features to add to the scene to break up those big open rocky spaces. Current extra bits and bobs are just there for a sense of scale and how extra minis might "interrupt" or "enhance" the scene.
Some next steps though:
- cork around the hexes on the platforms for the bases to fit into
- some sort of "door frame"
- "box in" the sides (which are cut out of a continuing mountainside, in my head at least)
Please, rain your ideas and encouragements upon me!
Help! I'm hating this paintjob.
I grabbed this demilich thinking it'd be a fun and easy paintjob. But everything I do makes me hate it more.
I was trying to go for a green flame look, so yellow on the inside, and gradually darker green highlights on the outside. These were drybrushed and then cleaned up by hand. I think this is where the problem started because it's not reading as fire. It just looks like a blobby mess?
Should I just scrap it and start over with more of an ethereal glow that's darker in the middle and lighter on the edges?
I also am not happy with the base. I've never painted a 2D base before, I've always added some kind of texturing material. And although I'm reasonably satisfied with how the base looks on the summoning circle behind the demilich, it looks so bad on the demilich base. And I think my green glow isn't helping.
And finally the Bones. I imagined that if there was a green light behind the Bones then they'd be tinted green and darker on the outside. Again .. this just doesn't look right.
I'm normally fairly confident in my painting abilities, but I think I've landed in unfamiliar territory and I'm just not sure how to salvage or proceed. What can I do?
This is my filthy first.
I finally gave in and purchased one of the Bones figures. It is the otyugh-ish filth beast by Bob Ridolfi.
It is a big change from the metal minis I usually purchase. The material is way bendy, almost like a green Gumby toy.
The coolest thing is the way it is baka yoke, and all the pieces are "keyed" to a hole. I would have to try really hard to mess up the assembly on this one!
First time showing something off on the forums! Normally only post to my instagram @MoonglowMinis
Had a blast painting this one up! Had to tap into my painterly side to get the glow effect I wanted and to transition the plating down to the end of the tail where there was no sculpted detail.
Hope you all like it!
Who's Online 3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)