TGP

Getting to Know You, April 2018

32 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I love this question! 

Morihalda's last name is Silversage! Silversage would be an interference paint. Pale green from one angle and a cool, clear silver from another. ^_^ 

I would use that. 

• Like 8

Question, April 24: Have you ever taken any self-defense or combat arts courses?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

Just now, TGP said:

Question, April 24: Have you ever taken any self-defense or combat arts courses?e

I used to decades ago, and that same school exists but it's a shell of its former self.  That and they've gone from family friendly passion to one of the largest commercial juggernaut ITF dojos in the city who only seems to care about roping people into a contract that's rather expensive, and then suing them if they "get out of line" (aka if they try to get out of the contract, life happens and they can't afford a single payment, a payment doesn't go through, etc). 

Taekwondo was fun back in the day though, although I always wanted to get into a dojo that actually allowed the (safe) use of weaponry.....  Specifically swords and bo staves. 

• Like 5

On 4/23/2018 at 4:28 AM, TGP said:

Question, April 23: If there was a paint color named after you... What would it be named?? (obviously, Griffon Grey is taken ^_^ )

Well...my last name is Preuss. It is pronounced like "Bruce", but with a "p" sound to start it off. SO Preuss Puce would work.

OR, with Nom de Forum in mind, Malefactus' Mad-as-a-Loon Mauve.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I did Taekwondo back in junior high it was taught as a sport, not as self defense 

you were expected to compete in tournaments.  Sensi was  60+ South Korean 

I hve reasonably fond memories of it but have retained 0 skills. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question, April 24: Have you ever taken any self-defense or combat arts courses?

When I was in high school, I lived in California and trained at the Cobra Kai Dojo. This kid named Daniel would follow me around starting fights with me and my buddies. My Sensei, who was a huge jerk, eventually told us we could no longer defend ourselves against him when he tried to start fights with us, because it wouldn't be fair to kick his butt before the big karate tournament. The kid was a real sociopath though and wouldn't leave us alone.

Long story short, in the tournament my buddy got disqualified for intentionally trying to injure the kid (on Sensei's (who was a real jerk) orders), and then I somehow ended up facing him in the last round. It was really weird, because he didn't really know what he was doing (his "Sensei had him waxing his car and stuff for him as "training", and didn't even know the rules at the tournament) and wasn't very good, but somehow the DQ my buddy got allowed him to advance to the final round. Tournament scoring, right?

Anyway, the kid uses an illegal kick to my face after going into this ridiculous stance where I thought I for sure had him dead to rights (like I said, he didn't know what he was doing), but I didn't see that kick to the face coming, and apparently the judge didn't see it either, because that face kick somehow won him the tournament. But I'm a good sport, so I handed him the trophy myself. Which was kind of weird that they even let me do that, but the whole thing was pretty weird.

Also, no, I haven't, but I have played hockey my entire life, so that counts for something.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question, April 24: Have you ever taken any self-defense or combat arts courses?e

Combined, 20+ years of Shotokan, Muay Thai, and wrestling.  Though I have been a giant slug and done none of that in the past 3 years.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Fifty plus years ago I took up Judo for the exercise as part of a weight loss thingy. It didn't help that the place was right next door to Nathan's in Long Beach (LI).

When I was a boy, my Grandpa taught me to turn the other cheek; my Great Uncle Gus showed me the next step after turning the other cheek. It involved a quick upward thrust of my knee along with the application of my forehead to the adversaries nose. My Uncle Gus' method was more effective that the Judo.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

I would use that. 

I have several things I would use that on, and several more I would invent reasons to use it on.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I studied Goju-Ryu as a kid and later during high school.  Don't remember a whole lot of it, just the basic punch, kick, and block.  I might be able to perform the first kata I learned, but I doubt it would be very pretty.

Then there was Basic Combat Training.  Aside from the obvious firearms training with better equipment than the Daisy bolt-action .22LR I had growing up, I also learned what makes the  green grass grow*.  Back then they didn't teach combatives to the POGs like us.

*For the unfamiliar, that phrase was part of a call/response sequence used during bayonet training.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Not really.  I learned some basic escapes and night stick moves as part of my watchstander qualifications on my first submarine; I also took a pair of basic swordsmanship classes at a con once.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Not especially.

I got some (basic) training in self defense, take downs, submission holds, and pressure points when I was assigned to physical security in the Navy. I wasn't super proficient with any of it, and I have long since forgotten most of it. I also learned "dirty"* fighting, most of which I DO remember.

*= there is no such thing as 'dirty' fighting IMO, only ending the altercation as quickly, and with the least amount of damage to oneself, as possible.

• Like 7

Yes, I took Judo in college then used that skill to attack coeds.  I was an Uke in a Woman's Ju-Jitsu class at school.  The males that new how to fall attacked the students.  Then then threw us to the floor and punched or kicked us.  A six week class was too short to learn how to fall.  We also were taught for free and took our belt tests.  I got up to Purple Belt (1st Brown) before I graduated.  In my test they said if they had enough rank in judges they would have awarded me Brown belt.

I also was on the college Fencing team.  We placed 6th in the country.  Not bad because we were a small university and there are no divisions in fencing at that time.  We beat Ohio State easily.  Notre Dame was number 1 that year.

This also lead to a funny thing at my Ju-Jitsu test.  We had a woman teacher.  The men did not think that a woman could teach men the power moves needed for higher belts.  One of them was her old boyfriend.  They audited our test and also sent some (including the old flame) to prep us for the tests.  Being a fencer I was always good at knife attacks.  She continually asked to to hold back on my attacks.  When the old flame was to demonstrate knife attack defenses she had me as the Uke.  The last thing she said was "He is a Black Belt.  You do not have to hold back."  I stuck him solidly two out of three times.  The other time he blocked as I touched him lightly.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Does driving in Boston count? 

I've taken tai chi off and on over the years, various forms including self defense. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7