Getting to Know You, April 2018

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not bad, but I think I'd have given them a Passover. 

I am indifferent, though I have an academic sense that it's beneficial.   What I really want is to have shakers FOR my paint bottles. As in, some sort of goblins in a cage that will continua

it would not be a normal paint.   Glitter Medium!   Turning any colour into a glitter variant.  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for April 17:  What would you put into your dream hobby room? 

All of the big, well planned, maximum storage type things that everyone else has described. (And made me drool over.)

Plus a magic portal that takes me in and out of the interior of Fort Knox so that I have the money for THE REST OF THE STUFF.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, VitM said:

Succubi.

And here my first thought was just somebody to play with. I've always dreamed small. ::(:

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

I almost had my dream room in the basement out at my farm before I got married, my gaming friends moved away and my wife's storage encroached on my space. The specs were.

20' x 24' 

2 8' x 4' tables (We sometimes had 6 people playing at once)

12 ' x 8' of shelves along one wall

6' x 6' of shelves along another

3' x 4' table in corner for resin casting and dirty work

It was all relatively old and very crude and dirty but plenty of space.

I did my painting upstairs by my computer where the lighting was better.

So for my dream room I'd want.

Roughly the same area I had then but with it all being finished. Nothing fancy but decent instead of bare concrete and rough cut plywood and boards.

Shelves to the ceiling on almost every wall. Can never have too much shelving.

Windows. Neither the farm or my current room in town has windows. I like seeing daylight.

Good lighting. I think my night vision is getting worse and I don't enjoy being in dark holes so much nowadays.

2 minimum 4' x 8' tables for gaming and maybe another for display off to the side.

Well lit corner for a painting table and computer. In town I don't have a dedicated computer space. I just wander around with my laptop which has pluses and minuses.

Good sized, well ventilated workshop area close by for terrain making with all the various big tools, table saw, foam cutter, paint booth, 3d printer (really, really want one) and other stuff. Right now I do the stinky and dirty work in a barely heated garage. It's cold out there in winter when I do more of my hobby stuff and it's a pain running up and down stairs, getting dressed up and hauling things back and forth. I admit I need the exercise so the stairs is probably good but it kills a lot of time.

And last and most important those succubi. I mean a steady group of friends to play with like I had years ago.

12 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

I've been trying to find a way to say 'A person to play tabletop games with' without it sounding weird, but it's not happening.

Hey, as long as don't mean keeping them chained up in there to await your gaming pleasure there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 11
5 hours ago, Inarah said:

A table for playing games and comfy chairs, seats 8.

A separate desk for painting, with sufficient lights and so on, and a shelf to keep a laptop or similar nearby and still out of the line of fire.

A stereo with good speakers.  Maybe a TV in case we ever have a "everyone comes over and watches someone play FF 10" session again.

Bookcases and storage.  Painted minis need places to be.  Unpainted minis need places to be.  Games and game books need places to be.  The huge Ogre Designer Edition box needs a place to be.  And so on.  And if they're all in the hobby room, that means the bookcases elsewhere can be used for more books!  (We might have a book problem in our house.)

Paint racks on the wall are tempting but they'd compete with bookcases for wall space.

Maybe a small mini fridge for cold drinks.

A tea maker.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

A table for playing games and comfy chairs, seats 8.

A separate desk for painting, with sufficient lights and so on, and a shelf to keep a laptop or similar nearby and still out of the line of fire.

A stereo with good speakers.  Maybe a TV in case we ever have a "everyone comes over and watches someone play FF 10" session again.

Bookcases and storage.  Painted minis need places to be.  Unpainted minis need places to be.  Games and game books need places to be.  The huge Ogre Designer Edition box needs a place to be.  And so on.  And if they're all in the hobby room, that means the bookcases elsewhere can be used for more books!  (We might have a book problem in our house.)

Paint racks on the wall are tempting but they'd compete with bookcases for wall space.

Maybe a small mini fridge for cold drinks.

A tea maker.

OMG, this.  This is probably my largest storage issue right now.

• Like 5
On 4/16/2018 at 3:48 AM, TGP said:

Question, April 16: Who here has their taxes done?

I had them mostly done since the end of January, but we had to pay taxes, so I didn't actually send them until the end of march. But yes, done. 

17 hours ago, Inarah said:

For one thing, it would need to have my husband in it, so it'd be a hobby space for both of us. His hobby happens to be video games, so both of our video game systems would need to be in there. And comfy couches for playing video games. One wall for games, movies, and game books.

And then my painting area. With ample storage, a beautiful wall mounted paint rack, and an adjustable table top to be a drawing table too (I really miss the tilted table top I had in college). 

Of course, I'd need a separate room for noisy stuff, but that could be smaller than the main hobby room. But I really like being in the same room as my Hubby when I'm painting. It's easier to show him what I'm doing and see what he's doing too. We're giant dorks for each other :wub:

• Like 10
13 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question, April 18: What is your most regretted/disappointing  Hobby Purchase? (Could be: equipment, paint, software, supplies, models...)

Sadly just one.

A Reaper Bones mini.

Linked for nudity

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/spider/sku-down/77180

The thing is, I could never get her to stand up like this, she ended up on the "elbows" of her spider legs every time.

So I've chopped her up.

Her upper body will be used for a conversion one day, the spider part, who knows?

No big deal, I love most Bones, but for this I should have bought the metal one.

Other than that I have bought a mini or two that I didn't use in the end.

But there is always ebay or a BOGW or something.

So overall, no real regrets.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nothing; re, if I add just one more thing to the room it will explode.

Actually I don't dream of a "hobby" room. I don't think of what I do as a "hobby'; it is my craft/life's work.

When I stopped gaming & painting things for other folk's games, what I do took on a different meaning.

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question, April 18: What is your most regretted/disappointing  Hobby Purchase? (Could be: equipment, paint, software, supplies, models...)

There are things I bought that I wouldn't have bought if I could do it over again, but nothing I regret.

To some extent or another all my purchase have brought me a degree of happiness.

• Like 7
48 minutes ago, TGP said:

Raging Heroes; Toughest Girls in the Galaxy 2

Need I give details?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
52 minutes ago, TGP said:

Hmmmmmm, can't think of too much other than Citadel paint (gen 3? bolter shell up to 4th gen initial foundation paints line) and brushes (although apparently their new ones are a lot better than the ones from ten years ago).

Their paint is nice, especially for a base coat, but wow does it dry fast in the standard issue pot.  As for their brushes, while I wouldn't mind giving them a whirl again since they're getting decent reviews from some picky painters, I'll probably just pick up their dry brushes and go with Raphael or Rosemary & Co brushes for work horse duty brushes, because they actually can survive a good amount of use (and abuse). 

• Like 2