Getting to Know You, April 2018

TGP

6 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

was racing with daughter in a small space, smashed my bare foot into a post while going at full speed. 

Not good for running goals 

Rest Ice Compress Elevate. (& take asprin) 

or to put it another way, do all those things, then sit on couch until the pain is manageable 

This is a terrible haiku. ::(:

• Haha 6

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Not the Military way.  Must have esoteric acronym for everything.

And none of those initialisms you can't just blurt out as if they were a word, and everyone nods in agreement (except for that one guy in the back).  Oh, and half-baked ones (like say, CSIS) don't count because it's technically two words and that ruins the moment. 

That previous paragraph was supposed to be purple. 

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

FTFY.

Too close to an initialism, not easy enough to say in a bitter, frustrated tone. ::P:

22 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions, April 20-21-22: What has happened to you recently that has pushed a life goal farther away (big or small) or just some little thing (setback) that unimproved your SitRep?

Bonus question: how are you gonna fix it?

Hubby was in the hospital with acute appendicitis for two weeks off and on in December.  That's close enough, because all the bills are coming in now, and of course, they want money NOW and get cranky when you try to get reimbursement from your coverage first..  And we're talking five ambulance trips, which adds up.  Oh, and they still haven't billed us for one of them yet despite those events having been four months ago! 

.... And your insurance company is all "oh, we don't care that you have FULL coverage, we're only paying 90% because they aren't bills of being actually hospitalized"...  Oh, and did  I mention that they have absolutely terrible hours too for their call center, AND they take a month (or more) to reimburse you? 

Yeah, always a bag of fun with our new provider that someone at head office is in love with.  I want our previous provider back, because reimbursement wasn't even 24 hours (half the time it was 6-8 hours and you're paid back).  Oh, and almost everywhere could direct bill too. New one is manual claims galore. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And we're talking five ambulance trips, which adds up.  Oh, and they still haven't billed us for one of them yet despite those events having been four months ago! 

.... And your insurance company is all "oh, we don't care that you have FULL coverage, we're only paying 90% because they aren't bills of being actually hospitalized"...

I've told the story many times of how I went around with my insurer on coverage for an ambulance ride after a bike accident in which I was unconscious.  I wasn't covered because it was an out of network provider, although they never could explain how I was supposed to ensure that any good Samaritans calling for help called the right ambulance...

4 hours ago, paintybeard said:

It doesn't work that well as a limmerick either.

There once was a painter found running

Whose stopping was suddenly stunning

Their foot is on ice

Which isn't real nice

But better than medical dunning ...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/20/2018 at 4:29 AM, TGP said:

Weekend Questions, April 20-21-22: What has happened to you recently that has pushed a life goal farther away (big or small) or just some little thing (setback) that unimproved your SitRep?

The Rustbucket (tm) died (my old car).  We obtained a new car from my Brother in Law, ostensibly to train my elder spawn to drive.  Spousal unit decided that I was not to drive it to work (crazy, right?). 

How'd I fix it?  I bought a car last night. 

On 4/20/2018 at 6:45 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Well, finding out that I'm about to about unemployed a little while back qualifies, I think.

Bonus:

While doing the proper pirate thing, which would be to loot, pillage, and then burn down the business would be rather satisfying, I think I'll just continue to keep my fingers crossed that one of these interviews I've done produces a job offer.

Keep up hope.  It took me four months to find work in Nessus.  And Nessus is near State Farm's corporate headquarters, and they just let go of 900 or so people, some of which are my friends and my spawn's friends.  It's a scary time.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:24 AM, malefactus said:

I got another day older without putting a significant dent in my Vault of Pack Rattiness AND no one has accepted my offer of free miniatures.

Beats me how I will fix it.

Your Vault, Al, is amazing.  I've got a really TINY part of your Vault at my house, and I have several on my desk taking great care of them, simply out of respect to you.

• Like 6

April 20-22: Last weekend pretty much everything went up at once. Lost the place I was staying in near Rockford, which also meant I lost my job, and the icing on the cake was that I fell down a flight of stairs and banged my head on a pool table hard enough that my friend thought I had a concussion and summoned an ambulance.

No concussion (I've a hard head I guess), a couple stitches on my right temple and deep bruising from the fall, so I got off lucky there. 

The silver lining to all this is that while the incoming bill will put me in the hole for a while and I have to move elsewhere by the end of May, at least I'm not trapped in a living situation where my life is under the thumb of a crazy person and I'm not in a constant state of exhaustion from 12 hr shifts that kept me isolated from the rest of the world.

My attempted fix to this so far is that I've been researching various studios and jobs in Denton Tx, hopefully when I go down to check it out next month I can find something that won't eat 2/3rds of my income like the place in Austin did. 

• Like 5

I love my friends here.
We always help each other
When weasels attack.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:24 AM, Inarah said:

Question for April 17:  What would you put into your dream hobby room? 

We want our dining room table to be our game table, so that wouldn't be in here. We also want our own room to play video games together, so that wouldn't be in here either! This would just be my room. ^_^ 

I'd like the normal stuff like paint racks, finished displays, storage, bookshelves (I want an art library!), and speakers, but I'd love to have different spots for different hobbies! A table for cosplay/sewing and one for sculpting/painting. I'd like a tablet that I could bring to either table for drawing digital art and getting references. I want huge windows facing the south that I can open for natural light and air! My computer desk would be along the window wall so I don't get a bad glare. I'd take a few of my plants inside and put them along the windowsills.

My biggest dream is decorating it. :wub: I would paint the entire room like the craggy inside of an ancient tree trunk. I'd paint around the windows like they were old, hollow knots in the wood, with light streaming in. The floor would be wooden/tile/anything but carpet with little woolen "moss" mats. I'd paint cracks in the ceilings with ivy trailing down and add some 3D plastic ivy as well.  I'd sculpt so much stuff for decoration it's not even funny. I want to make big mushrooms into shelves, add LEDs into plants so I had glowy plant lights, etc. I'd make big acorn bowls and flat leaf trays to put stuff in! If I were a millionaire, I'd have wooden tables with live edges/bases or tree trunk stools, or I'd go more delicate with curly ivy chairs made of something sturdy. :lol:

(An aside - I want to make a galaxy of stars on our bedroom ceiling with little LED stars everywhere that I could dim/change colors/etc. I have big plans okay, haha!!)

On 4/18/2018 at 6:39 AM, TGP said:

Question, April 18: What is your most regretted/disappointing  Hobby Purchase? (Could be: equipment, paint, software, supplies, models...)

I regret not buying in but I know I would regret buying in if we had - the Harry Potter game. It was not well explained, organized, shared, or anything really. The 3D sculpts looked fantastic but I hadn't heard a lot of positive things about the quality of the actual miniatures from their other game lines. :< I really love the HP universe so I was excited about it for a looooong time, just to be let down.

On 4/20/2018 at 4:29 AM, TGP said:

I've been struggling for months with extra fierce brain weasels. I'm tired of using all my energy to fight them instead of learning art and hanging out with friends online and in real life. I can't imagine how much more I would have learned this year. So we've saved up and I'm going to see a doctor. My first time was last week and I'm going again on Tuesday - this time with my love, since he can help me explain all those personal things. Eep! :unsure:

• Like 12

On 4/20/2018 at 10:17 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

This is a terrible haiku. ::(:

spring brings high spirits 

elder playing games of youth 

two broken toes? ELF. 

okay that is revised better.  Is there a rule against swearing in hiakus? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

On 4/20/2018 at 3:29 AM, TGP said:

Been thinking about this one for a bit. Major life goal is to get out of debt or at least to a minimum. Not sure if being totally debt free is a realistic goal especially as a farmer. I took over the farm from my parents 5 years ago. Since then I've had 3 crop failures due to 3 totally different weather problems. One year cold and damp and not much grew. Next year very wet and couldn't seed until late and then heavy snow at the start of October flattened half of my crops. Last year was the worst drought in 150 years and nothing grew. Through all that I actually made a small profit (mostly from cattle) but not nearly what I should have. But my ancient equipment I use is wearing out and collapsing (sometimes literally). So I've had a couple expensive purchases (buying equipment slightly less ancient than what broke down). Then my father passed away a month ago and my mom doesn't really have the money for the funeral and estate expenses so I'm covering that as well. On top of all that a company that owes me many thousands of dollars is dragging their butt in paying me. Nothing really unusual for this job but it all wears a guy down at times.

How am I going to fix it? Hopefully buying equipment that works will help. Please, please, please let it work without continual expensive break downs. ::P: I've also become an organic farmer because my land is pretty crappy (see above 3 years) and it's worth way more. This year I'm seeding the most expensive lentils available and have it insured to the max. If it grows, great. If not the insurance should pay me way more than we ever made as conventional farmers. I'm also trying to switch more land back to hay and increase the cow herd. Cattle paid most of the bills here all my dad's life and it's more dependable than grain farming in this area. The possible income is less but the chance of not being paid for a year or two (see above grain company) is non existent. And lastly I rented out some of my land to save me work and get some quick cash.

• Like 10

On 4/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, TGP said:

Picked up a sore throat from the kids. ::(:

My fix is to ignore it until it goes away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question, April 23: If there was a paint color named after you... What would it be named?? (obviously, Griffon Grey is taken ^_^ )

True story. We actually have an upholstered chair in our living room my husband bought because its name was “Chocolate {My-Real-First-Name}”

• Like 6
  • Haha 5