Iron Wind Metals Sibeccai Runethane

Geoff Davis

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really cool! I dig the OSL effect of the off-screen campfire

My only nit pick is that the sword only appears to glow on one side of the blade. There's a bit of sword tip along his right leg that's in shadow instead of glowing, and the forte of the blade visible from his left is also totally dark (but the glow visible from his right--along his ribs, belt pouches, etc.-- implies the left side of the blade is a light source).

The cast light is really well done, and I buy it from the front and right views no problem. I think the fix would simply be to brighten up the left side of the blade. That said, that's a tiny space and a high-risk area to try to touch up, and the campfire light and shadow are amazing, so just leaving it be is a pretty viable option if you're not planning to put this in a competition somewhere!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sanael said:

My only nit pick is that the sword only appears to glow on one side of the blade. There's a bit of sword tip along his right leg that's in shadow instead of glowing, and the forte of the blade visible from his left is also totally dark (but the glow visible from his right--along his ribs, belt pouches, etc.-- implies the left side of the blade is a light source).

That sword is a bit of a frustration since the rest of the sculpt is so cool.  Its a huge chunk of metal to try to carve out to reshape the blade, and it would need to be carved out to give it a better shape that can both glow and reflect some of the fire light.  I have two more of these to paint at some point and I would like to try to replace the short sword with a khopesh.  One of the challenges of this sculpt is that he has all these cool raised relief runes all over him (as seen in this unmodified version -- sibeccai runethane ).  They make me hesitant to carve away areas of extra metal that would expose areas which would have these same raised runes on his armour.   I would also like to figure out how to make the runes on the blade (which are low relief unlike all the other runes) appear to glow more brightly. 

Thanks for your supportive comments.  I am working hard to improve.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Geoff Davis said:

...give it a better shape that can both glow and reflect some of the fire light. 

I would also like to figure out how to make the runes on the blade (which are low relief unlike all the other runes) appear to glow more brightly. 

Thanks for your supportive comments.  I am working hard to improve.

Well, to the first point... If the sword is a light source, it's unlikely to reflect other light. If you look at a lightsaber blade, it's generally a consistent color even when in contact with another light source (such as another lightsaber blade). You can see a similar effect in what I did with this Hobbit, here.

So you don't need to complicate the blade quite that much.

If it's only the runes that glow, and the blade isn't glowing at all, it's a similar idea, except the edges won't be lit by the runes at all... Which is where the orange of the campfire can come in 

To the second point, white is your friend. Your brightest points of light will be those closest to white. So, if you paint the runes pure white, then darken to the green as you get toward the edges of the blade, you'll get the illusion that the runes are brighter than the edges of the sword.

• Like 2