Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

Feeling Old Today

I have been painting a bit at lunch at work, where I keep a second set of paint and some spare brushes. If I am feeling organized, I have a couple of transit boxes to carry the current project in. I keep additional painting here, though, in case of surprises. 

91185345-F5D1-48AD-B310-E5606D649C82.thumb.jpeg.80e1f6cc9d1fcf535c2a3ce225094827.jpeg

I moved these guys, some Foundry Normans, last week, and started wondering when I got them. They look like they were hand primed in grey with a black wash, a technique I haven’t used in a rather

long time. 

So, I dug out my notebooks. I know from the running summary that is now a file on my iPad that I have been logging my painting completions continuously now since the fall of 1995. 

In the course of attempting to find out how long I’d been “working” on those Normans, I ran across the first page of painting log:

76E0B628-1F2F-4FD4-A24E-E0879ED2AB7F.thumb.jpeg.1a1d5b45c8ea8df5d9abb5ffc9eed18a.jpeg

I did eventually find some general notes to suggest that I ordered the Normans in the spring of 1998, so right at 20 years. 

I also found the November 1997 order planning notes for the molds that made the figures I used for the Dux Bellorum game last week (for the first time), another project 20 years in the making...

• Like 19

In '98 I had been painting & converting toy soldiers for thirty five years. Now that makes me feel OLD.

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

I had a set of those Normans as well. Relieved to say that mine are painted and sitting in a box somewhere. Probably took me a mere decade to get around to doing them. I know, I'm just impetuous like that...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, malefactus said:

In '98 I had been painting & converting toy soldiers for thirty five years. Now that makes me feel OLD.

I guess I should go on to say that I had already been doing this for 25+ years by then, so that things merely 20 years old now are still “pretty recent” in my mind...

• Like 7

And here I am going "huh, I turn 35 next week.... On the weekly stops day.  Wonder if they'll have cupcakes out I can sneakily thief in one of the kitchens - errr, it isn't thiefing  if they say I can have one.... 

• Haha 4

I have at least two of the Ral Partha 11-0XX Adventurers (that somehow ended up only half-finished) that are 30-year projects at this point, and since I never bothered to paint the bases of my figures at all for about the first ten years I was painting, probably about four dozen figures total that never got their bases painted, even if the figure itself was finished.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

The oldest things I have kicking around the workshop aka bedroom, other than myself, are a few Minifigs from the Valley of the Four Winds.

They were released n 1978; a mere forty years ago...still unpainted, they may be going through midlife crisis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, malefactus said:

The oldest things I have kicking around the workshop aka bedroom, other than myself, are a few Minifigs from the Valley of the Four Winds.

They were released n 1978; a mere forty years ago...still unpainted, they may be going through midlife crisis.

ROFL !!!!

Those miniatures should feel honored and  elated. 

One:  Their age denotes their value, If they were no good, they would have landed in the

Metal recycling bin.

Two:  They are owned by you, and I am sure that any Malefactus mini extols and exudes great pride that "We belong to "He who need NOT be named".  So no fear about them having  a midlife crisis.  Their only angst is the yelling of "Paint Me Next, My Lord Malefactus !!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Jasonator said:

...their only angst is the yelling of "Paint Me Next, My Lord Malefactus !!!

Actually they refer to me as Old Fool...think Mr. T.

• Haha 6

There is some fun stuff in the Valley of the Four Winds range. I didn’t pick any of it up back in the day, but I’ve collected a bunch recently. 

I think I have cleared most of my unpainted minis from the 70s and early 80s, but I’ve got more than those Normans that have been primed and glued to sticks since the mid to late 90s. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, malefactus said:

they may be going through midlife crisis.

Have they started driving around in little 1/43 scale sportscars yet?

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Have they started driving around in little 1/43 scale sportscars yet?

Or making a pass at any Sophie miniatures you have?

• Haha 3