Morihalda

03844: Damaris is converted to a fierce pirate babe :D

Can't wait to see what you do with this.  I had to add her to my wishlist now. 

Do you really have to carve down the Quiver that much?  Seems to me you could file the bolt fletchings into more a cone shape, then use green stuff to make a beer stein lid and handle. 

• Like 3

The hat can always have been knocked off, and simply added as lying on the ground.  That will leave the hair pristine.  Or, put a sword handle on the scabbard, and have her hold the hat in her right hand.

Did you want to sculpt the hat or borrow it from an outside source?

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

This is going to progress much faster than I anticipated! I expected to have to redo the hand, maybe the arms if I were going to make her sleeveless, try something crazy for the tankard....

I won't have to do any of those things. I dove in with some clippers and I was able to remove the bottom third of the quiver, mostly smooth out the top part of it, remove all but the center of crossbow, and flatten out the stone a bit. I can tilt the hand slightly and rebuild the thumb and forefinger when I sculpt the pistol.

Tomorrow I will sculpt the things! From the hat angles from the previous post, which do y'all think fits best? Should I take them again in full body poses, to see how it affects the mini overall?

30020212_585662271809862_342782210_n.jpg.8463032e7888048b78618bfd2c58eab3.jpg

• Like 15

I like the idea of holding the hat in her hand.

Aside that, I would go for option 3 as well.

*** Great another female pirate mini I need to buy***

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I vote for the 1st hat position. Is that the full size of the hat? Fancy British hats may be pinned to the top of a crazy hair-do, but most hats, including pirate hats, would sit around the crown of the head - on a person, perhaps ~1/2 - 1in over the eyebrows, ~1/2 in over the ears, and then around the widest part of the back of the head (roughly). Some folks wear their hats a bit further back, but that wasn't for pirate hats as much as fedoras.

She's going to be seeing some wind, so having more areas to have friction on her head will be good for holding the hat in place! The jaunty angle, whichever you pick, will be awesome. Pirates need the jaunty angles! Even moreso for pirate lasses - lasses get to have asymmetry fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Cyradis oooh, another combo breaker! :) All good points. Yep, the hat will be larger and lower, but since the edges will curl up a bit and I'd need to grind down the hair a tad to sit better, I just went with a pancake for testing. :lol:

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      I had to change the title since apparently "March of the Murlocs" is already a thing in the current game. And I was so proud of the name, too!

My husband loves his gift (the biggest and bestest success!!!) but it would have been great if my painting for my ReaperCon entry wasn't so awful two years in a row.

All the details, rambling love stories, and modding/creation details are in my WIP thread here!

• By Morihalda
      Hi all! Most of the Randomness thread folks noticed that this chatterbox wasn't around much last year. 2018 was spent working on my brain. I think I made a lot of progress so hopefully that means I get to spend more of 2019 working on my art!

My last post from my previous sculpting thread:

As always, I appreciate love and critiques, and I hope that by showing a little bit of the time and effort it takes it pursue sculpting, others will try without getting discouraged by the climb up!

So let's get started! 

Table of Contents:
      - General Rambling Throughout
      - Adaya: One, Two - Completed
      - Kiara: One, Two, Three (also Part 1 of Tierney), Four,
      - Tierney: Two,
      - Antlers: One - Completed
    • By Morihalda
      Hey all! I've been working hard on my husband's surprise birthday present. It was going to be a surprise reveal at ReaperCon, but finances/vacation time mean that it's just me going now. But since I told him about it, that means I get to make a WIP thread! Yay!

I grabbed these really cool "Deep Ones Mutant Fishmen" by RAFM out of the Box of Goodwill a couple years ago. He accidentally saw them so I've had to wait until I was sure he forgot about them, haha. Oops.

When we were teens and couldn't meet up, we spent most nights online together. A lot of that time was spent in WoW. With Classic coming out, I thought it would be the perfect time to get these little guys done! He's always loved murlocs and even built entire decks around them in Hearthstone, so I decided to make them based off of cards I've seen him use the most.

Top: Original minis.
      Bottom: Prepped and repositioned for modding. Arms, fingers, toes, and bases were chopped off. The middle one needed a lot of bending to look natural. One lost his head. They all lost their noses....

I don't have WIP photos because this was a SECRET.
      They all got little spines drilled and sculpted on, buttcapes, little details like crab and tentacle armor. The reading one got a little "nightlight." I painted the Hearthstone cards before sculpting the head so I could actually reach the book. 

(This is a HUGE photo if you right click -> open link in new tab. I couldn't make it wider in the thread.)

I did keep a photo of the angler underpinned head because he looked so happy!! What a cutie! This might be my avatar someday.

The warleader's sword was made with Apoxie Sculpt for the base and Green Stuff details. I accidentally made it too smooth(?!) because I really struggled to get any GS to stick. That meant I couldn't do the multiple layers I wanted.

I also made some terrain on a whim. The little huts are pretty iconic to him so I knew he'd immediately find it in the display area! I drew out the sizes I wanted, cut some baked sticks to size, and doused everything in appropriate amounts of superglue and hotglue. The hut top was made with a ball of foil with Apoxie Sculpt. Once it was mostly cured, I removed the ball and smoothed the inside and outside with more clay. Once it's painted, I'll use long grass to mimic the hay. I still need to add little jars, skulls, lanterns, treasure chest, etc.

Lastly - the cards themselves!
      These card images were pulled from the Hearthstone Wiki and I added some short, awful descriptions.
      Top left: Underbelly Angler. Play a murloc, you get another murloc. He loves this one. This is Booklight!
      Top right: Toxfin. He can destroy most cards in a single hit. He's the one with the stinky fish.
      Bottom left: Warleader. Your other murlocs have bonus attack. Big sword guy!
      Bottom right: Soul of the Murloc. When your murlocs die, they come back with 1 health, 1 attack. He giggles so much when he plays this. It doesn't look unique, but I think I'll use the ghostly scheme on the Warleader. I don't know if I can do that yet!

Tomorrow I'll be making the little bits and bobs. Hopefully I can arrange all the terrain on Thursday, prime Friday, and be painting next week!
    • By Valthorn_Illian
      I got nothing smart or witty to say. I knocked this out for a people's choice painting competition at my LGS. Feel free to bash it.

• By Morihalda
      Several friends helpfully pointed out that before I started throwing wild ideas at Ma'al's base, I should probably practice them somewhere else first. That base is on my February list, so I gotta get practicing!

Blightfang:
      - Completely covered giant base.
      - No integrated parts. I chopped 'em off.
      - Water with a "live" edge!
      - The first dragon I owned, blessed upon me by my first Box of Goodwill group, and a perfect fit for a Silversage dragon.

Narthrax:
      - Plain, round, smaller base.
      - Rocks from his original base are staying.
      - Probably no water.
      - He's just plain cool. He's gonna be my Boelen's python!

I used PVA glue to put the cork together, and hot glued everything to the bases. Thank you for your sacrifices, peanut butter and pickle lids!

I fell in love with Paepercut's youtube channel after @Clearman mentioned it in my Ma'al thread. Y'all. That guy is SO COOL. The vast majority of the things I'll be doing here are from his videos. And if I don't think they are, they probably still are because I'm forgetful like that.   Onward!

Actually. Onward in a little bit. I gotta go check out the nearest store and see if they have distilled water for the next steps. Be right back!
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 4 Anonymous, 83 Guests (See full list)