• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the same trick with the horns, but...

SjMyfZLl.jpg

I just didn't really care for it much. Probably because the horns are more straight and triangular than the curved claws. So I did a thin coat of Sparkling blue over the top of what I'd already done and will call that good:

v0DpsA8l.jpg

Wow that picture came out super bright. :blink:

I'll do a quick highlight of the teeth and claws with a white metallic, then it's time I turned my attention to those eyes!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 19

20 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Some music to pump you up with enough energy for the last day!

I...had no idea that viking rock was a thing. :lol:

So, rather than doing the eyes my usual way, I decided to try out @Guindyloo's method (which she explains in this thread and  also in this one; I would highly recommend checking them out!). Because the final day of a Challenge is a GREAT time to try a new technique out, right?! :bday:

By the way, my walkthrough is going to be neither as detailed nor as informative as hers, mostly because my primary focus is on not totally flubbing these eyes up, and also because I'll be taking progress pictures of which ever eye looks best at the time. :lol: Expect some blurry pictures, because my hands are none too steady right now.

I started with the following two colors:

ddNBkdHl.jpg

First step, which looks kind of freaky in person:

VmzM00Sl.jpg

And the second step:

sSgTSUtl.jpg

And rather than continue, I will be stopping to get some dinner, since right now I'm too quivery to be attempting fine details. Just getting to that point took a frustratingly long time because I kept blobbing color where it wasn't supposed to be. :lol: This will also give me a chance to ponder exactly what colors I want to use; I can't decide on yellow, orange, green or dark blue.

Huzzah!

• Like 20

You've got this! :bday:

Yellow, orange or green would be opposite-ish on the other half of the colour wheel so they would stand out really nicely, but also an icy blue or icy violet would be quite striking as well! A dark green or dark blue would blend in a little more naturally and perhaps read a little bit more realistically....as realistic as dragon eyes can be. ::P:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Some music to pump you up with enough energy for the last day!

This thread is getting bad for my wallet. First the Vallejo metal medium, now a whole band worth of albums to pick up. It's awesome! :bday:

Go @OneBoot, Go! I love your shiny dragons and cannot wait to see it done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Sorry I went quiet for so long, I had to step away from my painting desk for a couple of hours to release some frustration. I'm back now and progress on the eyes is going much better. ^_^

There won't be many progress pics of the eyes since I'm getting into my zone, but here's the color I'll be basing them around:

RtTeHa7l.jpg

Hopefully it will look as cool in reality as it does in my head. ^_^

Current song on infinite repeat until I get these eyes done (it helps me to focus for some reason): Immortals by Fall Out Boy. :wub:

Huzzah!

• Like 19

Here's the colors I've used so far:

LcsPuzul.jpg

Surf aqua blob:

PMPjB0el.jpg

I used my shakiness to my advantage here and just focused on making lots of little dots rather than a smooth coverage. ^_^

Sample paint lines (sorry it's not very clear, I couldn't get my camera to focus closely enough):

NvWMeMrl.jpg

LED blue lines near the center:

X56h151l.jpg

And just as I took that last picture, my blasted hand spasmed and I dropped my phone onto the edge of my palette, flipping it onto the floor and spraying paint all over me and the carpet.

:grr:

So I got to stop and clean the carpet instead of continuing on with the eyes. Sigh. Well, at least it didn't spatter all over Caraxis! :unsure:

Huzzah!

• Like 5
  • Sad 14