Hummingbird Swarm....miniature

Hi

I am enticing my 7yr old daughter into the world of D&D and she is insistent on having a swarm of hummingbirds as a familiar for her short sighted female wood elf. 

Anyone know now where I may get a miniature ...I have seen both the bat swarm and crows but they are too evil in appearance.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Cormorin said:

Hi

I am enticing my 7yr old daughter into the world of D&D and she is insistent on having a swarm of hummingbirds as a familiar for her short sighted female wood elf. 

Anyone know now where I may get a miniature ...I have seen both the bat swarm and crows but they are too evil in appearance. 

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  

There is a set of resin birds from HQ Resin

84833bcd9a7d0be5c1107af8c1b8f42d.jpg

Or from figone

image.png.305d58e35d0d024964a3fc44e4d7bddd.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

I'm trying to wrap my head around what a swarm of mini humming birds would look like.  First, you can't really see their wings when flying.  Second, a large hummingbird would be 2mm long and the beak would be tiny.  I was considering doing this one pro-bono as I like helping kids get into the hobby, but I'm not sure where I would even start.

Check out this scale shot:

maxresdefault.jpg

Now look at a mini and realize that each one would be smaller than a human mini's thumb. And I thought I was nuts doing the meerkats. 

How many hummingbirds = a swarm?

• Like 7
1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around what a swarm on mini humming birds would look like.  First, you can't really see their wings when flying.  Second, a large hummingbird would be 2mm long and the beak would be tiny.  I was considering doing this one pro-bono as I like helping kids get into the hobby, but I'm not sure where I would even start.

Check out this scale shot:

maxresdefault.jpg

Now look at a mini and realize that each one would be smaller than a human mini's thumb. And I thought I was nuts doing the meerkats. 

A swarm of Giant Hummingbirds could be terrifying though.

Look how this little one is drinking the blood from that hand.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

A swarm of hummingbirds is a tiny buzzy swarm of psychotic swordsbirds. Sir Cyr's family puts out a hummingbird feeder at their cabin in Wyoming. The first day, only a few show up. By the end of the week, there are dozens and they suck it dry within an hour. They buzz about trying to stab each other with their beaks and sound like tiny lightsabers. 

• Like 8

Look into the swarm of "flitterfuries" (sp. ?) that came with the games workshop drycha hamadreth.  you may be able to make them work, if you can find them from a bits seller. 

On a side note Wizkids has recently released some pretty nicely pre-painted "wardlings"; one of which could easily pass as a wood elf and comes with a pretty adorable lynx familiar.  My 5 yr old has wanted to play d&d (we house rule a lot) constantly since she saw the lynx.

Edited by Bustedknee
  • Like 4
On 4/3/2018 at 2:10 PM, Glitterwolf said:

A swarm of Giant Hummingbirds could be terrifying though.

Look how this little one is drinking the blood from that hand.

shirt-1505060949-bce9533eb47d651818df9d6

Blame Pingo's daughter.... ::P:

The Auld Grump - Huitzilipochtli  is the Left Handed Hummingbird....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

guys - what fantastic replies thank you all.

TaleSpinner - I was thinking 10-15 birds in flight with long tails and beaks (image below) to give an effect similar to the below image shown on a wall (although these are obviously swift or something!)

image.png.a231e7a38fe5869f35b41c016f3d31ab.png

image.png.861be161bb911972dff5940573adcea4.png

• Like 2

Although you could do a "swarm" of larger birds (crows, bats, hawks, whatever) like that fairly easily by sculpting the individual birds onto a spiraling wire armature, getting them small enough to look like hummingbirds is difficult, since you'd need lots of them to disguise the existence of a wire thick enough to serve as a decent armature. More like twenty or thirty of them than ten or fifteen.

And with that many really tiny birds in a tight formation like that, it'd be really difficult to pick out and paint the individual details of each bird - it becomes more like the pile of limbs, heads and tails of a typical rat swarm mini (albeit on a vertical plane), and overall would read more like a multi-colored cloud or gust of wind than a flock of birds, in my opinion...

• Like 3