Sign in to follow this  
CreganTur

Painting A Pirate - My First Bust

I've always wanted to paint a bust and recently got a very nice pirate from Pegaso.

hlo3Aoh.jpg

Because he's a large project I kept him modular. The hat, head, and body are not glued together yet so that I can easily work on them without the risk of getting paint on a related section. Plus, I want to try and do a hint of a tattoo on the exposed chest and don't want an errant hand movement to get that color on the shirt.

Started with the belt, as I had a solid idea of what I wanted to try for the leather. So far I'm pleased with how it's progressing. My next big step with it is going to be freehanding an embossed design on the tongue. Also put some base coats on the vest.

OqPJdWe.jpg

• Like 16

Awesome!

I'm currently painting a female pirate bust.

Very anxious to see how you paint this guy!

• Like 1

I'm tempted to get into painting busts as well, because they're rather gorgeous from various companies ^_^

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes! 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1

Got about halfway finished on the shadows of the vest this weekend when I decided to start playing around on the other parts of the bust.

I feel like I've got a good start on the skin. For the hat I think where it's at now will be a great highlight color, so I'll be slowly deepening the shadows.

wOA6INg.jpg

• Like 17

A nasty sinus infection knocked me out from painting for a while. Thankfully I'm feeling better now and have made progress on the Pirate bust again.

The stripes on the kerchief are just the beginning of a simple silver stripe pattern, based on a historical example I found of a scarf from the 17th century.

The hat is nearly done. Now I need to add some glazes of color for the staining and weathering it's endured out on the high seas.

I also need to at least base coat the hair before I finish the skin. I know myself and if I complete the skin before doing anything on the hair I'm sure to make a mistake and mark up the skin.

cg9nkLx.jpg?1

The weekend also involved buying a new toaster oven for curing sculpey and making up some example pieces. I'm going to be teaching some sculpting fundamentals at the CMON Expo this year. Made 2 each of the examples- going to paint 1 so people can see the difference between the raw piece and how it looks painted up. Will post pics when they're painted.

• Like 13

I'm getting really close to finishing this project, and it feels great. While I've made a few blunders while trying to use 2 brush blending and loaded brush techniques, which are both relatively new to me, I'm learning and improving.

Still left to paint:
The pipe
The eyes
Complete the silver stripes on the head scarf
Button holes
Final touchups

HMkZPXD.jpg

• Like 10