Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Runic Incisions

I often paint bases like this one.

IMAG1726.jpg.f02929c3288d994cb05e01d5bbe4ddea.jpg

If it's just meant to be stone, it's simple enough to base coat it, wash it, do some highlighting; but sometimes I want to do something fancy with the runic inscriptions, like fill them with a pulsating orange runic glow, or -- in this case -- fill in that knotwork with an alternating pattern of light blue/dark blue/light blue/red.

I find it difficult to get clean, sharp lines of bright, visible colors into these tiny little incisions.  Any tips on doing that?

• Like 2

White paints tend to have good coverage. You could paint your main color, then use thinned white paint and let it sink into the runes. You may have to touch up the area along side them with your base color for the sharpness, but that shouldn't be too tough. It'll be like freehanding with guidelines ^_^

• Like 2

I use Inks for that.

Scale 75 Inktense Set.

I prime, then the ink into the runes/recesses/glyphs then drybrush the stones etc.

• Like 2

These look deep enough you might could paint the incisions first, then the stone.  You may want to begin with a bright/white undercoat, at least for the cuts, so whatever color you use stands out more.

Usually I use the above methods--paint it all (maybe still painting the cracks bright first) then use an ink/wash to slide into the crevices.  If you're quick and careful, you can even sometimes wipe some of the excess/spill away.  But I almost always have to touch up a little after that.

• Like 2

Using inks worked much better than my previous "thinned paint" approach.

IMAG1728.jpg.d35d7f300388b0f272ef3eeccb4cf017.jpg

What didn't work so well was thinning the blue ink -- I was trying for two distinct shades of blue, and they came basically identical.  I should probably have just alternated red/blue instead of trying light blue/dark blue/light blue/red.  Ah, well.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 8

15 hours ago, wdmartin said:

What didn't work so well was thinning the blue ink -- I was trying for two distinct shades of blue, and they came basically identical.  I should probably have just alternated red/blue instead of trying light blue/dark blue/light blue/red.  Ah, well.

Thanks for the advice!

This could be a good use for the modern bright color triad: Punk Rock Pink, Neon Yellow and LED Blue, or the clear brights (yellow, magenta and red in particular).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, wdmartin said:

Thanks for the advice!

Ink is not paint...it behaves differently, I love to use it this way, but thinning it will just give you watery ink.