Smokestack

Legends of Signum

I'm one of those poor sods still waiting for shipping notification. At least the two miniatures I ordered a month or so ago arrived in pretty good condition. I'm very pleased with them.

I received mine very early on and am super pleased. Despite the freeze and a the drama they delivered and with not too too much delay. Communication was good and the product is good. Quite a bit to assemble but I don't mind that. Happy I backed.

• Like 1

I got mine today, actually had to pick it up from PO cause had to sign for it: resin details look very nice, quite a few fiddly bits though.

• Like 1

Got a 'Ping' on my cell-phone today as I sat down on the bus. The people at the post('post in store' at a grocery store) had just scanned my package in, less than 200 meters from me. 

So close...    

• Like 2

Good for you guys. Mine arrived a while back. A few missing components (one sphinx had 2 front left legs & no front right leg, one miniature didn't have  ahead etc). I got in touch and the company has really great customer service. Replacement parts are on their way to me and I'll continue miniature assembly when the missing parts arrive.

Be careful with the chaos dwarf sorcerer with 6 tentacles for legs. The tentacles and sockets for them are numbered with Roman numerals. However there is no number 4 and instead you'll get number 6 twice. This is not a packing error. It's an error labelling the parts.  So they go 1,2,3,6,5,6. You just need to dry fit both number 6 tentacles into both number 6 holes and maybe go and take a look at the photos on their webstore before gluing them in place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I finally got my minis yesterday. I received shipping notice three weeks ago, so it was a long journey. I was a little worried when I saw the box:

4Ab3DHSg.thumb.jpeg.e1cd306d57b8adf5c3a37dd7cc7537a2.jpeg

It had one very bad ding on the corner. Fortunately the minis inside were well packaged and padded, so no damage done.

I got the core box plus a few add-ons. I messed up and forgot to order Aria, which really bugs me because I love angelic minis. Still, I did get some nice ones. Queen Zenobia:

RbzjVo5g.thumb.jpeg.c656f0aef00df6f12144fd752bdbe6b5.jpeg

It's a beautiful mini, but requires a lot of assembly (the wings are two pieces each). And the vent pieces that need to be removed are very thick, often thicker than the part they are attached to. For example, on the tabard visible on the front, the whole bottom piece is venting and needs to be removed, but it's much thicker and stronger than the piece it's attached to.

Inez Nimble Fingers:

jB5LF5Bw.jpeg.98b167a80f77e24dfd6ab9426fa32c82.jpeg

I couldn't resist such a unique miniature. This is another one that raises some serious concerns with trimming pieces. The pegs for joining are sometimes smaller than the vents, so I'm sure at least some will break. Hopefully I can repair it without too many problems.

This is Zaira the Shadow of Grand Master, the super-secret early bird mini. Also the reason I missed out on Aria, for some reason I thought she was the free mini:

GUTH1Z5Q.jpeg.7427c2dff3d03741e689b066c3d5c3ef.jpeg

This is a great looking mini. She's topless, covering herself with her arm and holding a sword in the other. On the left is the base, which includes her shield, breastplate and helm. Play D&D for any length of time and you'll empathize with being caught without your armour on. She also comes with a choice of three heads, seen in the middle. Lots of pieces, but these don't look quite as rough to put together.

Tara the Moonblade:

fZDdBIVQ.jpeg.d9f3538be9c301e4aed9621ae38c8785.jpeg

Another mini that should look fantastic assembled, but she's got a lot of vents connected to small tabs that are sure to break during cutting/assembly.

Finally I picked up the Forest:

CFe0qVOg.jpeg.bd1f6a9e09d31317f4834dba2e0c04ff.jpeg

I could only easily assemble a few pieces without some serious cutting. There are a lot of vents everywhere needing removal. In the foreground you can see a bird that sits atop one of the bigger tree. Hopefully I can remove it from the vents without damaging it, but the venting is thicker than the legs. It's going to look great fully painted and assembled.

The front right tree is two pieces, I broke a tab off when I was trying to assemble it:

MIRibYWQ.jpeg.2f1b1995d0cd9f92976c06b08865068b.jpeg

Fortunately it's just a tree so it's not the end of the world, but it snapped off so easily I am very concerned about the character minis. if you look closely, the left side is the tab that should have remained on the tree, the thicker part is the venting.

For all I'm complaining about the vents, I'm happy with the minis. The bigger vents mean less voids, I didn't find a single flaw in these minis. I'm very glad I backed.

• Like 3

Queen Zenobia is massive isn't she?

I'm going to need to apply a little putty to a few gaps in the wings, the lower pointed tip of her breastplate where there was a slight air bubble, and probably one or two other places prior to painting.

IMG_3707.JPG.1e66146796c03ce6133114be15a062fc.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG.d68f6bd4e80334badc9d6716be014a74.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG.0368551eb11a03f15e2e6bf5d3c26535.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG.666bd615ec6eea86e3e8563de1c0ac6f.JPG

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 5

You may be able to reduce the gaps in her wings by trimming the tab and the matching surfaces around the tab. 

(I've been putzing around with Roland the Pain in the Butt and there I managed to almost eliminate those gaps)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You may be able to reduce the gaps in her wings by trimming the tab and the matching surfaces around the tab. 

(I've been putzing around with Roland the Pain in the Butt and there I managed to almost eliminate those gaps)

I already did that on practically every joint on the model :p. In the case of one of the wings, it didn't quite align due to casting and was too thick to heat bend a little. I'm happy to fill the gap on her right wing. The left wing shouldn't even need it.

As for Roland.....!

What goes in that socket on the left hand side of his body above his belt? I honestly had a few missing pieces and contacted their customer service. Also glue the sword on his back after the shoulder plates. I made the mistake of gluing it on first and it then became very difficult t manoeuvre his left shoulder plate into place. In fact it was dropped on the floor twice and the second time it took me about 2 days to find it again. Because of the placement of the sword I had to snip off the stub and just glue it straight on top of the socket (it was glued on almost immediately after being rediscovered for the second time).

Having only one foot as a contact point with the base makes him overbalance and fall backwards until at least one wing is added to counterbalance it. I have yet to attach the left wing to the gryphon because I'm waiting for whatever that piece on the left hand side of the rider's body is before I put a bloody great big wing in the way which would make getting at that socket rather difficult.

And yes, Roland's Gryphon is going to need some putty around the joint at the middle of it's body (and one of the knees). Be very careful attaching the reigns. The same goes for the handle thing on the front of the saddle that his hand grips. Because of the length of the stubs you can't just glue the hand in place then glue the body in place because you won't be able to get the left arm on to the left hand. You need to glue the hand into the arm then, as the glue sets, lower the body and arm into position and manipulate the joint until the handle lines up with it's sockets. Then let the glue dry. Make sure it's then handle sockets and not the sockets for the reigns. The reign sockets might need to be enlarged ever so slightly with a drill or modelling knife before the reigns can be attached (which should be done after getting him in the saddle).

The plug on the lance arm needs a little carving if you want the standard pole to be able to fit behind the wing correctly. The wing has a slight socket in it for the lance to rest in so use this for dry fitting the lance and calculating arm & wrist angles. My advice is to glue the wrist first as perfectly as possible then mess around with the elbow joint to get the perfect arm angle. Essentially the square plug needs to be carved into something like a rhomboid (or squashed diamond shape) as the default fit would involve the butt of the lance going down through the middle of the wing socket.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 2

Good luck with the assembly, and thanks for posting photos and comments about the assembly!

I'll cut above the vent / sprue connection with a sprue cutter, then file it down. I'm quite happy with the Army Painter sprue cutter. It's smaller than pliers, so fits sprues better.

fwiw, I've used weaker glues, like rubber cement and even white glue, for resin and plastics. (Museum Wax is a weak bond, if you need to regularly swap weapons on an army model on a movement tray.)

• Like 1