Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

RIP Takahata Isao, Studio Ghibli producer and director of Ponpoko, Nausicaä, Grave of the Fireflies

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/06/studio-ghibli-co-founder-isao-takahata-dies-aged-82

Over a long and distinguished career, Takahata produced around 20 films, including Only Yesterday (1991) and Pom Poko (1994).

He also produced the Miyazaki-directed 1984 film Kaze no Tani no Naushika (The Valley of the Wind), a science fantasy adventure that describes the relationship between nature and human beings.

He was also well-known for animation series Alps no Shojo Heidi (Heidi, Girl of the Alps) and Lupin Sansei (Lupin the Third).

However, most consider the 1988 film Grave of the Fireflies, a moving tale of two orphans during the second world war, to be his best work.

• Sad 8

Grave of Fireflies is a fantastic work of art that I can only watch once.  That is a brutal film.  

Grave of the Fireflies was one of the first three films to convince me that anime doesn't have to suck.

I had friends that were pushing anime at me for years, trying to convince me it was good, but somehow the movies and TV they chose always seemed to involve giant mecha, Gainax bounce, or both.

Then someone actually made the roll, and loaned me Our Neighbor Totoro - which I put off watching, and put off watching, and put off watching, then finally watched... and it Didn't Suck!

This was followed by Nausica (the second version for the US - I gather the first version did have problems)and Grave of the Fireflies - and all were good.

To this day, I am a lot more likely to make time for a Ghibli film than any other anime on the market.

He will be remembered.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece.

Like Unit04, I'll not watch it again but I'll also not part with my copy.

Fathom events is showing Pom Poko and Grave of Fireflies in theaters this summer, as well as a number other ghibli films.