Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Vancouver Miniature Painters picked this for the first paint club item. It is Queen by Life Miniatures. I wanted to do more with it, and ended up doing the face and skin early.... then rushing the rest. All things considered, she turned out darn nice! Painted with a mix of Reaper, Vallejo, and Kimera. Reaper and Vallejo more on the skin and metal, Kimera more on the cloth. Many thanks to the paint club leader for good photos!
I am a very new painter, I have painted some minis in the past, not a lot though, but due to some jerks at a game store I stopped playing. Almost 10 years later, I have decided to get back into it and I present to you Mr. Webster the Giant spider. I had a lot of fun with this, and the paints were all from the Reaper Learn to paint kit core skills. This was my second time ever using washes and dry brushing, and I am really excited with how it turned out! Going to get him on a base soon, and introduce him to my players at D&D...
Drums! Tribal drums from the heart of the deepest jungles. The Goblins wage war. They spider heards will consume everything on its past and, when there's nothing left, they will leave the trees behind to invade the lands of men. Their Chief, riding the giant eight legged spider steed Sleipnir, is ready to lead them to victory.
Here I wanted to try a particularly colorful palette to tap into the jungle theme. Maybe in that note it lacks a bit of green... first time I use this colored liquen. Maybe is too much?
If you liked it, please consider following my instagram :D
Arachnophobic Trigger Warning!
If seeing lots and lots of pictures of spiders is an issue for you, this is NOT the post for you.
As soon as the Goroloth was done, Ron asked me if I wanted to do another. Of course, I agreed. This time, he wanted a really big spider; one to fit a 4 inch (100 mm) base. Before you all say, "But I thought it was on a 5" (130 mm) base," bear with me; that is a part of the later half of the story. He pointed me at several sources of inspiration, but the design was going to be for me to develop. Funny though how what an Art Director can see in the sources and an Artist sees can be completely different features, as you will soon see. Where Ron saw a bulbous body, pointy fused legs, and plates; I saw spikes, spines, and big fangs. This project was about to become one of the most intense back and forth projects between myself and my art director that I have ever had, but the end result was well worth it and, together, I think Ron and I developed one of the best figures I have ever sculpted.
It started out as any project does, with a basic armature:
I refined that shape grossly into the shape I wanted for the body:
After that I started pulling in rough details using mostly the Move and Inflate brushes. I should note that I was not yet trying to create a finished spider, but merely get my concept down so I could send it to Ron for approval on the general theme of the piece.
I added eyes. These were based on Jumping spiders.
Then I built the legs. Each segment was a separate piece that I sculpted from cylinders and then inserted into the main sculpt. I built all the legs on one side, and then mirrored them onto the other side. Again, this is all mostly conceptual at this point. If you look closely, you will see that noting is really connected, I just needed to get it put together to get Ron's feedback.
Next post, I'l cover Ron's response and where we went from there. (Though it should be obvious what his response was, considering that the above spider looks absolutely nothing like the finished Arakoth.)
Who's Online 41 Members, 1 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)
- Olaf the Stout
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Lt Flowbee
- Melbourne Mew Mew
- Doug Sundseth