Paint Brushes

dargrin

Does any one know where I can find good sharp tipped paint brushes that last more then one figure? I know that reaper has there own but a selection of different options would be helpful.

What ends up happening is that the brush either starts curling or start fanning out. It is really starting to get costly. I look down I see a on my desk about 30 or so brushes that are pretty much useless for tight detailed work.

Help

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you cleaning your brushes?

what brands do you use currently?

Do you have any art stores or craft stores nearby?

My thoughts on this (and more experienced people will certainly come along soon and add/correct any of this) is first, get a good brush soap thatw ill clean and condition the brushes when your done. Second, make sure to use bushes with sable bristles. Make sure your not leaving them to "soak" in a jar of water or anything. When I am done with a brush I rinse it, then I use the brush soap on it to get the rest of teh paint out of it, then I set it on a brush rack to dry with the bristles up on the air not resting against anything.

The soap I use is... made by someone and I forget who now.. its a "cake" of green soap with G on it. I have also used a liquid "pink soap" with good success.

You should be able to find decent sabel brushes at a craft store like Michaels or an art store like Art Media (to name 2 local sources). Like I mentioned your going to want to find something that uses Sable for the bristles. Kolinsky Sable seems to be the really high end stuff used in brushes like the Winsor and Newton Series 7 that so many people here rave about. One of these brushes will run about $10 and they are very high end, so expect to pay maybe $5 for a "Good" brush that should last a while.

I hope this helps.

Yes, the citadel ones are good but most sable brushes will last a reasonable amount of time if looked after. One tip I always use, is after using a brush and rinsing it, I always suck on the tip, this helps it maintain a good point.

Also, be careful not to dip your brushes all the way up to the metal ferrule into the paint. This will cause paint to acumulate at the base of the bristles, and eventually will make them fan out.

I find that brushes draw up paint that far anyway. Maybe I'm just using poor quality paints/brushes...

If paint is reaching your ferrule, you need to look at your technique. Most likely, you're overloading the brush. Otherwise, you're not rinsing enough. I rinse after nearly every stroke. This helps to keep my ferrules clean, my tip sharp, and my paint fresh.

If you do end up getting paint in the ferrule and it dries, don't fret. You can still salvage the brush. Just get yourself some W&N Brush Cleaner and Restorer (HERE). It'll do the job.

Dargrin -- Be sure to get yourself some Kolinsky Sable brushes from either Reaper or from Winsor and Newton. I prefer W&N. The tip remains sharper (mainly, I think, because the bristles are packed more tightly in the ferrule) Then treat those brushes with care, using a product like the Master's Brand Brush Soap (HERE) and some regular old human hair conditioner.

Another good trick is to keep Plaid Brush Cleaner in a GW mixing pot and have a piece of foam insert, or something similar. Make a small hole in the foam and poke the brush through handle-first until just a little of the ferrule is poking out one end.

Open the paint pot lid and let the brush soak in the brush cleaner, using the foam as a support so the brush isn't touching the sides or bottom.

I've used this method to de-gunk messed up brushes for friends. I also use this method just to give my own brushes a very thorough cleaning on a regular basis.

I often coat my brushes with the cake brush soap, shape the bristles and let them dry. Works to keep your nice brushes from getting the splits, and re-trains them on the off chance that the hairs start to stray.

W&N Brush Cleaner and Restorer

I second you there whiz....I've used about 5 or 6 different types of cleaners...this is the junk...hands down. I'm retentive as heck when it comes to my brushes....clean 'em constantly, etc...

I soaked my set in this stuff, and got a paint pot's worth of crap outta the ferrules....it was amazing.

I soak my airbrush nozzles in W&N cleaner, only thing that gets acrylic all the way out.

The tips curling, that probably means you are using Synthetic brushes. All synthetic bristle brushes suffer from this to a certain extent. The most common synthetic bristle is made from "taklon".

Natural hair brushes will not curl at the tip, but you must be very fastidious about cleaning them.

I prefer Winsor & Newton Series 7 kolinsky sable brushes. Vallejo sables are also very good. You will pay $10 to $15 for a W&N brush. They are worth it. Mine are about a year and a half old and still come to perfect points. I've found that thinned paint does not settle in the ferrule as much and it cleans up much easier. Thinned paint is removed by water and brush cleaner with ease.