My DM wanted an Ettin for next week's game, and since I have lots and lots of minis... Well, I guess it falls to me! 

30571749_10213937026252044_3001333282567

First time using green liner. Also mixed in some brown liner with Ruddy Flesh for the skin he's wearing and the clubs. The beard & hair is Dragon Red.

IMG_20180409_213147.jpg

IMG_20180408_210535.jpg

• Like 11

Another highlight on the skin..._20180416_220539.thumb.JPG.59cdc1213dc1ddf7cbc6d40aa9a897f9.JPG

_20180416_220529.thumb.JPG.01aba75682277bfba7b83943aa4ddf3b.JPG

_20180416_220548.thumb.JPG.982a08eb9b107d49f2b4e48aea9bbca8.JPG

And then a glaze to try to smooth it out.

_20180416_220427.thumb.JPG.d4307fc52a9144d7f7efad44fb3209a5.JPG

_20180416_220444.thumb.JPG.3ddf384b4eb4eadcf58e2eb30c66c018.JPG

_20180416_220458.thumb.JPG.fef24fadd65cd163a91eadc9a55cca71.JPG

Plus dry brushing the fur, fish, & wood. Also used auburn shadow on the straps. Brightened up the hair up to marigold yellow. 

I'm still not 100% on the skin, but I'm not sure what to do next. 

• Like 6

I'm wishing I saw this before my last D'n'D campaign as he would have fit right in to the endgame masive orc hoard with hell gate support coming from the north ... I had plenty of hero champions but was short on orc champions ... and here he is , one bad azz orc with two opinions and one painful disposition ...

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lexomatic
      I decided to do the Mystic Circle so I could do all kinds of occult and folk horror scenarios.
      Currently "cooking" in the utility sink. The base parts were pretty warped. I may glue them to some foamcore for a little extra stability, but mostly traced, because I need to keep them " modular" for storage (the arches, I think they still qualify as dolmens, but I forget, will get pulled on and off. Unless it really doesn't work ).

This will likely be an all June project, because I had an unexpected computer death and porch reno and need to deal with that.
    • By Iridil
      Some quick paints for the table. The pirate is a good demonstration of why I don't try sculpting - in addition he had a lot of casting problems in his legs and feet, so.... he will do but I kind of cringe. The shroud was a very quick paint - I cut the hands off, because it seemed more creepy that way

• By Iridil
      More from May - the cultist pair 77518. I also added in my other recently painted pair (77351) with cirlce and I think they make a nice grouping. 

• By Geoff Davis
      My first time painting a chibi figure.  Probably not the last.  Painting this made me feel happy.

• By R2ED
      It's been a while since I've posted anything to WIP, but I'm trying to get my mojo back.  This particular model has had a few new things applied to it that I was testing, but am not totally happy with.  The main thing is I'm getting paint down and learning as I go, but there's a few questions I have:

1.  Ink washes - so, I'm getting a lot of pooling when using them.  I'm using DR inks with a drop of ink, drop of flowaid, and a touch of water.  This leaves it glossy and pooled in places pretty badly.  Tried going to ink and flow aid only so it'd drift more into the recesses, which helped, but still not solving it.  then I tried less ink by dabbing my brush in just a touch into the ink, then utilizing the flowaid to dilute what's on the brush in a little pool.  All in all I'm having difficulty finding what is the right balance.  Any tips here?

2.  Oil paints.  I finally went for the James Wappel special here and attempted some oils.  This didn't pan out super well and could be the paint-to-alcohol I used.  My assessment was it was too thick and I didn't know how much to dab off with a sponge.  The skin color worked okay, but needed a big highlight application with acrylics after the oils dried (waited more than a week).  I tried testing washes with this stuff by doing the 'blot test' on a paper towel to see if it spread out, which kind of worked.  However, the effect of the oils spread further into areas I didn't want.  Probably my area of weakness here is not knowing how to clean it up as much.  I think the dilution on the wash is correct, but the cleanup needs some learning.

3.  Overall difficulty I'm experiencing right now is trying to do too many things.  This particular model had oils first, then washes, then let it dry because I was mad at it for like 2 weeks and didn't want to touch it.  Came back to it this morning wanting to finish it, but still not thrilled with the outcome.  I think the color balance might be off or my choice of colors isn't strong enough.

4.  Rope:what the hell color are you using on rope?  The rope that runs across his chest, on the club, on the barrel - I'm lost in what color to use.  I thought I'll use a Ochre Yellow and then wash over it in a brownish color to bring it down.  It's...yellow.  Not intended.  Then I thought maybe use an ivory and dye it down.  Need some input here.

I know this guy isn't "bad", but he's not awful.  I just don't feel like the progress was as strong with him and I'm struggling right now with what to do and how to approach it.  I thought maybe getting a post in here and having people drop some feedback to me might help me get things back together.  Always love the help y'all provide. 

I need to get into the swing of things again before Bones 5 delivery - so now more than ever gotta keep that flame burning.

• Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)