Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

12 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If all you have to do is teach basic arithmetic, that would probably work fine. 13 years from K-12 is a long enough time to teach that without working hard. But there are many things that actually need math, and teaching arithmetic in a way that is fun is not efficient enough for that.

I'm not really talking about making math itself fun the entire class period the entire 13 years of school. I get that wouldn't be entirely efficient.  We could easily change up the curriculum to add things that gets kids excited about math, and able to see the applications for it, so that when you have to go to the dry and boring stuff, they understand why. 

But they concentrate so much on basics and efficiency that we rarely show the kids the applications.  By second grade for both my kids (two different school districts and schools), math became a chore that they hate. And the way the curriculum is written and taught can often lead to killing a kid's natural aptitude for math.  My son has a natural knack for fractions.  But his third grade teacher refused to work with his natural affinity for them, and forced methods upon him that have him doubting his mathematics abilities to this day (he's a sophomore now). 

This isn't something that just started happening in education, either.  It's gotten worse, I think, but it happened in my day as well.  I hated math, too, until 8th grade when I got a little box of black books containing a game called Traveller.   And suddenly, for me, math had an application.  But I had to find my own application for math - one I could benefit from immediately.

How many other kids can do that? Sure, you can tell them "Hey, if you want to be a doctor or an engineer or an architect, you need this", but the end result for most kids is that they'll simply decide not to be one of those things if they get frustrated with math. 

3 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Pssst... @Unruly

Form 3949-A

That tax evasion case won't start itself. We're not omnipotent, merely omnipressive.

Wouldn't that be considered a commerce link, since it ultimately involves the linked to entity receiving money? :devil::devil::lol::lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

I am extremely tired. I need more sleep but have to do things. It is also the 8th anniversary of being with Husband. While not sure what's in store for the day we'll hope for something fun (and possibly romantic).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

You're not wrong and I don't disagree. But we gotta end the conversation there, or else it's going to get buzzy.

One of my coworkers, who was involved in the discussion last night and who is often giving poor tax "advice," is one of those people. He's got an obsession with shoes, and he's always going on about how he gets his shoes for 80% off or whatever, because he goes to the outlets and buys when the outlets are having sales and all that crap. So he's like "the outlet is already 25% off, and then they're having a 50% off sale, so I'm getting these $200 Jordans for 75% off!" And when I try to explain to him that that isn't how it works, he just starts yelling about how I'm not listening because he just told me it's 25% and 50% and if you add them together it makes 75%. Then he won't ever tell you how much he actually paid for the shoes.

It gets even better when I point out that outlets aren't the same shoes as you'd get for full price at a regular store. He's still under the impression that outlet stores are where factory seconds get sent, and while that may be true in small scale, on the whole it's a miniscule amount of their product. Most outlet items these days are made specifically for the outlet stores using cheaper materials and lower quality methods. Or did you really believe that a company like Nike has such an inefficient production process that they're really messing up on that many pairs of shoes, including their "limited edition" ones?

He really gets heated about that one.

But then again, today he was also trying to tell me about a news story involving a sex offender being shot in town, swearing to me that it was in the local news when I said I hadn't heard anything of the sort. But a check of the last 3 days of the local newspaper, as well as checking the 3 locally-based news stations(as well as 4 or 5 that are based within 2 hour's drive), showed nothing. Then he tried to show me a link on Breitbart, and then one on InfoWars, both of which had the headline of what he was describing but directed you to a "Page Not Found." He finally found one that worked, claiming to be from ABC, but it's an ABC affiliate that looks fake as crap, doesn't use any of the real ABC logos, doesn't list where they're located, and is filled with all sorts of sensational headlines that look like they belong in Weekly World News. And let me tell you, the story he was describing is the type of thing to make front page news locally and in surrounding counties...

I don't claim to be a genius. Heck, half the time I don't claim to be anything other than dumb. But man, sometimes I'm just left speechless at other people and how seemingly senseless they can be.

I'll take facility with Common Sense [which you have quite often demonstrated] and rational thinking in the everyday world over raw I.Q. every time.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Fumble fingers
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I'm not really talking about making math itself fun the entire class period the entire 13 years of school. I get that wouldn't be entirely efficient.  We could easily change up the curriculum to add things that gets kids excited about math, and able to see the applications for it, so that when you have to go to the dry and boring stuff, they understand why. 

But they concentrate so much on basics and efficiency that we rarely show the kids the applications.  By second grade for both my kids (two different school districts and schools), math became a chore that they hate. And the way the curriculum is written and taught can often lead to killing a kid's natural aptitude for math.  My son has a natural knack for fractions.  But his third grade teacher refused to work with his natural affinity for them, and forced methods upon him that have him doubting his mathematics abilities to this day (he's a sophomore now). 

This isn't something that just started happening in education, either.  It's gotten worse, I think, but it happened in my day as well.  I hated math, too, until 8th grade when I got a little box of black books containing a game called Traveller.   And suddenly, for me, math had an application.  But I had to find my own application for math - one I could benefit from immediately.

How many other kids can do that? Sure, you can tell them "Hey, if you want to be a doctor or an engineer or an architect, you need this", but the end result for most kids is that they'll simply decide not to be one of those things if they get frustrated with math. 

Wouldn't that be considered a commerce link, since it ultimately involves the linked to entity receiving money? :devil::devil::lol::lol:

The teachers inability to work with your son's natural talent exposes that individuals own weakness in the area of mathematics.  And I wouldn't really call fractions mathematics but the more complex aspect of arithmetic.  Your son's teacher was teaching arithmetic/mathematics by rote, without actually understanding what they were teaching well enough to adapt to a change in circumstance.

GEM

• Like 3

Speaking of math, I loved it, and loved it even more once I was shown what was described to me as the European way to write it out (main number being divided goes on left, and inside a quarter box goes the number you're taking out of it).  Had some teachers later on try to say I didn't do my work - that ended quick when I complained, and the principal happened to look and go "uhm, it's the same thing, just written differently.  Work is shown here here and here, and on top of that if you watch him it's taking him thee times longer because we're forcing him to write it out... He's doing it all in his head" 

Man, that teacher was not happy with me for a few days. 

But I found my own uses for math, it started as a focus to learn more, and went from there.  Then again, at first I had issues with some aspects, and used various tools to coerce the knowledge in (one thing I did was write multiplication tables over and over again, changing which line I was working on randomly) 

Jokingly, it's a skill I totally don't use as a delivery driver, but it's nice to be able to answer questions from hubby off the top of my head when he's crafting in FF XIV and wants to make sure he has enough materials first! ^_^;;;;

It's even funnier when I sound uncertain and put a guess out... And I'm usually with 0.5% of the actual number....  Or dead on. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Gaming is a really effective means of exercising maths. My maths have improved significantly because gaming.

That gaming - table-top RPGS, specifically, although I suspect some others may also exercise these - also teaches other useful skills makes me completely baffled on how people can so easily demonise it. It's not like it's video games where you don't really do anything but push buttons... you're interacting with people! Solving problems, as a group! Doing math! (very quickly, frequently in your head, with random numbers). Other skills that I can't think of right now because I just got up and I'm only half smart right now.

My math skills have not improved enough that I can make useful sense of percentiles, though. Adding the damn things makes my brain itch. Which is one of the reasons I'm happy to have math-capable people in my groups; if I can't work it out, one of them probably can. ^^;

In the kids game, the one that is the very best at math is a football player - that also plays Fantasy Football, and beats his dad more often than not.

Because he likes the maths. ::):

The Auld Grump

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Nah. The IRS doesn't receive money (have you seen our budget?), we simply pass it on to less wise people to spend and/or squander.

Years and years ago, I had to deal with the IRS on a tax refund that was frozen somewhere in the system.

The guy that I ended up talking to... Pudgy, Hawaiian shirt, shorts, cheerfully complaining about computers that had not been updated since Windows 97 - forms that needed a (I think) twelve digit code, with only an eight digit space - so he had to enter the number, save, open the file in a DB, and edit it there... and the air conditioner was on the blink,

Oh, and the guy was gay enough that even I picked up on it.

He changed my mental image of the IRS forever - and was a true pleasure to complain to. (Not about - to. I have no complaints about the man, other than shattering the stereotype that was in my head. ::P: )

And realizing that the IRS operates on a shoestring....

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

The annual motorcycle take over of town is gearing up. I was able to get my errands done today. Traffic was pretty heavy this afternoon though.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Honestly, I think a large part of it is how we teach math and arithmetic to kids. For most kids, I think math would be better taught by liberally disguising new concepts with other activities.

We do this in the early grades by having kids count blocks and stuff, but in later grades we strip it to the dry, uninteresting (to most) facts.  For most kids, math could be better taught with things like shop and science activity based classes, like launching model rockets, or designing and building papercraft models. 

This would have worked a lot better for me. I struggled with algebra (I haven't used very much of it in real life, contrary to what I was told in school), but I aced consumer math (how to do taxes, balance a checkbook, stuff like that) because I saw an immediate, real world application for those concepts.

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I am extremely tired. I need more sleep but have to do things. It is also the 8th anniversary of being with Husband. While not sure what's in store for the day we'll hope for something fun (and possibly romantic).

I hope you have a great day!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 9/22/2018 at 9:57 PM, kitchen_wolf said:

Not one vote for "whip up some truly amazing barbecue sauce and go native", then?

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for Attack on Titan mikasa

Just asking for a friend.

Heh - that was Jen's plan, kind of - she wants to give them to the giants, with all requisite condiments... ::P:

On 9/22/2018 at 5:32 PM, Sylverthorne said:

…. and now I have poetry running random through my head.

(and I'll be amused if more than one person recognizes this).

"There's a schooner in the offing, with her topsails shot with fire .."

This isn't bad. I'm a touch bleurf, because rebuilding the gaming space, with real bookshelves. And storage. Mr. Thorne is going to be doing some himself; he's rebuilding his office. ^^;

I take it that I am the 'one'? :lol:

I have a tendency to have Kipling* run through my head at odd time, but Hovey is not unknown, nor is Service or Lawson.

'When the skies are black above them, and the decks ablaze beneath,

And the tops-men clear the raffle, with their clasp knives in their teeth'....

I love some of Kipling's poetry, but the man makes me want to punch him in the face....

On the other hand - have you ever encountered C. Fox Smith's poetry?

Once compared to the likes of Service and Kipling... The C. stands for Cicely - her first poem published when she was about sixteen years old. (A big surprise, in the day.)

Lee Fore Brace -

There was ten men haulin' on the lee fore brace
In the rain an' the drivin' hail,
And the mile-long greybeards chargin' by,
An' a thunderin' Cape Horn gale.

(That dark it was, you scarce could see
Your hand before your face;
That cold it was, our fingers froze
Stiff as they gripped the brace.)

An' "Christ!" says Dan, "for a night in port
An' a Dago fiddler's tune,
An' just one whiff o' the drinks again
In a Callao saloon!"

There was ten men haulin' on the lee fore brace
When the big sea broke aboard;
Like a stream in spate, a foaming flood
Right fore an' aft it poured.

The ship, she staggered an' lay still -
So deep, so dead lay she,
You'd think she could not rise again
From such a weight of sea.

There was ten men haulin' on the lee fore brace…
Seven when she rose at last;
The rest was gone to the pitch-dark night,
An' the sea an' the ice-cold blast.

An' one of them was Dago Pete,
An' one was Lars, the Dane,
An' the third was the lad whose like on earth
I shall not find again.

An' I'll heave an' haul an' stand my wheel,
An' reef an' furl wi' the rest...
For winds an' seas go on the same,
When they've took an' drowned the best.

An' it ain't no use to curse the Lord,
Nor it ain't no sense to moan,
For a man must live his life the same,
An' keep his grief his own

An' I'll drink my drink an' I'll sing my song,
An' nobody'll know but me
A lump o' my heart went down with Dan
That night in the wild Horn sea!

The Auld Grump

* I once fell for one of the oldest Kipling jokes known -

Me: Do you like Kipling?

Jackie: I don't know, I've never Kippled....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

As for the educational value of gaming, I saw a little table run by Game To Grow at PAX.  They've got an RPG based curriculum to teach social skills to kids.  Seems like an idea people are warming up to.  

They are, but they aren't. There are still Satanic Panic people out there to this day. The Game to Grow guys have done two short interviews on the Acquisitions Inc "The C Team" after-game table talk segment, most recently was just a couple weeks ago, and in them they've mentioned a bit of pushback to go with the tons of support they've received. In the most recent one they talked about going to a homeschool convention, where they had a teen hanging out at their booth who was super interested. When that teen brought his parents over, they went with the whole "I knew some people who tried the D&D once and they became Satanists!" thing and pulled their kid away from the booth. 

5 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Pssst... @Unruly

Form 3949-A

That tax evasion case won't start itself. We're not omnipotent, merely omnipressive.

The problem is, this guy talks so much BS that I don't know if his story about the dummy corp is also BS or not. I don't want to throw him under the bus with an audit unless I know more about if it's actually true or not.

My lady cat is in heat, and this time around it must be a big one. She's not shut up for 2 days. Right now she's trying to "back that thang up" on my neutered male and he's just looking at her absentmindedly. I really should see about getting her spayed finally when I take a few days off in a couple weeks. I just don't want what happened with my male cat to happen with her, where you cut off half the hormone supply and all the energy goes away. It's very likely to happen, because biology, but man, if this is how she's going to go for being in heat from now on I'm gonna have to do it. She woke me up just about every hour by jumping up on my bed and crying right into my ears...

• Like 4

@Unruly I think your cat is as likely keep her energy as not. My girl cat is spayed, but she's very energetic. She's annoying in fact :rolleyes: And my husband's boy cat has always been pretty energetic, except when he was sick. He sleeps more now, but then he's 19. In between naps he's pretty frisky and is quite happy to lay the smack down on my cat. 

Basically, it just depends on the cat.

• Like 7

Interesting... turning the evil halflings over to the giants did work - but the halflings have the giants trapped - a family of river giants, and their boat. The halflings have a chain across the river, at its narrowest point - the giants lost their other boat when the halflings sprang their trap.

The dead giant was their oldest child, who tried to make a run for help.

This... is just a family - not monsters, or heroes, or even hunters. Traders.

I am going to do some killing, I think, time to put on the mask, and go visit the halflings at night.

Julie is animating the giant's bones - she does well at night as well.

Jon will be invisible for the few minutes before we close with the halfling camp.

Jen will be sniping as best she can.

And Duncan will provide healing and morale reinforcement. (He's the only one that can't see in the dark.)

Even so, we are outnumbered by a bit, so I will be taking as many as I can silently. Murder, not war.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8