Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

One is personal, the other political. 

As a student of history, I can assure you that isn't as hard a line as you might think.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

As a student of history, I can assure you that isn't as hard a line as you might think.

I'm well aware. Medieval Europe's wars were latgely just brothers/cousins arguing over who inherited what. But very rarely were the kings actually killing each other themselves, they were sending other people to kill other people to prove who was stronger.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kristof65 said:

We do this in the early grades by having kids count blocks and stuff, but in later grades we strip it to the dry, uninteresting (to most) facts.  For most kids, math could be better taught with things like shop and science activity based classes, like launching model rockets, or designing and building papercraft models. 

I have this problem: I need a purpose to the math beyond the pure science of it.  When I was in pre-calculus so many years ago, I had a devil of a time with most of it.  But if you told me I was computing a parabola to configure a satellite dish or calculating the odds of poker hands I was good(ish).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Years and years ago, I had to deal with the IRS on a tax refund that was frozen somewhere in the system.

The guy that I ended up talking to... Pudgy, Hawaiian shirt, shorts, cheerfully complaining about computers that had not been updated since Windows 97 - forms that needed a (I think) twelve digit code, with only an eight digit space - so he had to enter the number, save, open the file in a DB, and edit it there... and the air conditioner was on the blink,

Oh, and the guy was gay enough that even I picked up on it.

He changed my mental image of the IRS forever - and was a true pleasure to complain to. (Not about - to. I have no complaints about the man, other than shattering the stereotype that was in my head. ::P: )

And realizing that the IRS operates on a shoestring....

The Auld Grump

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. The computer I use at work is 11 years old. It sounds like a laboring biplane.

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

The problem is, this guy talks so much BS that I don't know if his story about the dummy corp is also BS or not. I don't want to throw him under the bus with an audit unless I know more about if it's actually true or not.

Eh, go for it. The form doesn't expect you to have concrete knowledge. That's what the factfinding on our end is for, which we do before scaring the guy. Worst case scenario you give a guy in one of the Audit departments an easy day at work.

• Like 12

My night at work began with, within 30 minutes of getting here, someone walking up within 20 feet of me and starting to pee in a parking lot. Then, when I tell him to put it away and GTFO, he gets indignant with me as if I'm the one being rude. It's like dude, no one wants to see your weiner, no one wants to step through your urine, and there's an open restaurant not 50 feet away that has bathrooms open to the public. His "excuse" was that he's a man, and he's from Cleveland. Because I guess being a man means you don't bother to try to find a bathroom and no one cares if you whip your junk out in Cleveland? I mean, I'm a guy and I'm not about to whip it out in a crowded parking lot just because I need to pee, and neither are most guys I know. Now, if we were in the woods and there's not a whole bunch of people around then it's a different story, but never in the middle of town.

As for Cleveland, well, maybe I can buy that. It is Ohio, afterall. There's a reason that more people from Ohio become astronauts than anywhere else, and it's because people from Ohio are more than willing to strap themselves to an explosion just to get as far away from Ohio as possible...

Edited by Unruly
  • Haha 12

Going to my sisters house today. Gonna make a mexican chicken dish, play some D&D, and... *shrug* hang out. The real question is will I be able to avoid stopping at the Book Barn. :lol:

• Like 10

7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. The computer I use at work is 11 years old. It sounds like a laboring biplane.

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning or a case fan to be replaced. Most computer noise is just fan bearings/motors and blocked airflow due to dust. The more blocked the airflow is the louder it sounds, and most PC fans these days use cheap plastic sleeve bearings that tend to fail rather quickly resulting in that annoying scraping/grinding sound before the fan ultimately fails entirely.

7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Eh, go for it. The form doesn't expect you to have concrete knowledge. That's what the factfinding on our end is for, which we do before scaring the guy. Worst case scenario you give a guy in one of the Audit departments an easy day at work.

I may fill that form out sometime, then. I'll try to figure out what his actual address is, because at the very least a name and an address is a decent starting point, since I don't know his birthday/SSN/etc.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, strawhat said:

I have this problem: I need a purpose to the math beyond the pure science of it.  When I was in pre-calculus so many years ago, I had a devil of a time with most of it.  But if you told me I was computing a parabola to configure a satellite dish or calculating the odds of poker hands I was good(ish).

I can understand this.  Being told what the forms of math being taught makes application a lot easier and cooler.  As far as I can tell, we don't get this knowledge because it would mean the corporation writing the textbook would have to put some effort into it, and a lot of teachers aren't sure if the applications so they choose the safe route.

It also minimizes shortcuts.  In a number of cases it is faster and more accurate to simply take empirical measurement of the solution then to actually mathematically determine it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Going to my sisters house today. Gonna make a mexican chicken dish, play some D&D, and... *shrug* hang out. The real question is will I be able to avoid stopping at the Book Barn. :lol:

Go ahead, you know you want to.:devil:

Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

after 10 hours of sleep and a reasonably quiet stomach, I am actually rested and comfortable!  How long it will last I dont know but i actually feel alert and looking forward to the day!  I need more days like this.  (and less days of plants calling me at 2 in the morning asking for help...)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning or a case fan to be replaced. Most computer noise is just fan bearings/motors and blocked airflow due to dust. The more blocked the airflow is the louder it sounds, and most PC fans these days use cheap plastic sleeve bearings that tend to fail rather quickly resulting in that annoying scraping/grinding sound before the fan ultimately fails entirely.

Yeah, this thing has been running 16 hours a day since 2007. If that won't bust a sleeve bearing I don't know what will.

It needs a full replacement. I expect the software we use to interface with our 60 year old Master File won't work on hardware like mine by next year. And I say that with sincerity, we had an issue this year where an entire model type failed all at once, the interface programs all got updated and a significant number of older machines couldn't access anything anymore.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

We killed the entire camp of halflings - which was a raiding band, not a tribe - and lifted the chain.

And Julie let the giant skeleton get back to his rest, and a chance to say good bye to his family.

Unlike the halflings, the giants do not eat people, so the bodies were burned.

Treasure wise... not much for spending loot, but we did get a lot of potions - the leader of the raiding part was a witch - but didn't get a spell off, due to being suddenly dead.

No indication that the halflings were sent here - it looks like it was all about hunting, raiding, and showing that they could kill and eat giants.

And the witch had a pterodactyl egg, kept warm.... We are taking that with us, in a bag of holding, and kept warm. I have no idea what we will do if we can manage to hatch it - we don't need a pterodactyl, but Jon's bloodrager thinks it would be cool.... :lol:

Jon was lagging one game session behind, XP wise, and finally leveled to where his bloodrager can cast spells. (Barbarian/sorcerer hybrid class.)

With the halflings out of the way, we can make our way to the ruined temple complex.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9

I can't believe that none of you coffee addicts fans have mentioned that it's national coffee day today.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2