Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

32 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I can't believe that none of you coffee addicts fans have mentioned that it's national coffee day today.

I'll playfully say because International Coffee Day isn't until October 1st ^_^

• Haha 9

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I can understand this.  Being told what the forms of math being taught makes application a lot easier and cooler. 

Should a first-grade English textbook explain when you need to use an indefinite article, when you need to use a definite article, and when you can leave the noun bare? And explain why that is in such a way that a 6 year old can understand? (This is hard stuff, btw, among the hardest to teach to a language learner, and it's important.)

As far as I can tell, we don't get this knowledge because it would mean the corporation writing the textbook would have to put some effort into it, and a lot of teachers aren't sure if the applications so they choose the safe route.

Please.

Textbook companies make textbooks to get past schoolbook committees. If you want to sell American History books in Ohio, you had better put information about each president from Ohio in the book, so we get two pages on Rutherford B. Hayes and two pages on Benjamin Harrison. I can guarantee the writer of the book (who is a person, not a corporation), isn't interested in writing those pages.

And textbook companies will commission textbooks to any specification, which is why we have textbooks specifically designed to cater to the idiotic whims of every bad math curriculum designer around ("Trust the spiral!"). If you want to blame somebody for bad textbooks, blame the people buying them.

In the specific case of math, many of the skills that you need to have early in the process aren't, in themselves, very useful for any specific thing. Teaching a kid how to solve a quadratic is quite unlikely to be directly useful for anything much, but it's a simplified case that teaches techniques that will be necessary if the child continues on in math.

Math is brutally cumulative. If you don't have your foundational skills solid, you will reach a point where there is too much going on to keep in mind at one time, and everything will fall apart. For many kids, this happens around 4th - 5th grade. If you have to actually think about the result of 7*8, you're going to be in deep, deep trouble when you're trying to add fractions with different denominators. And it gets nothing but worse as you go up.

The only way to continue past those points is to have a reflexive understanding of how to use every skill below the point where you are. And building those reflexes isn't easy for most kids. By analogy, getting to be a good freethrow shooter is not something that will result from playing lots of 2-on-2 pickup basketball games. You have to stand out on the court doing the tedious job of shooting freethrows over and over and over, not having fun playing basketball. Rote memorization of math is not intentionally tedious, it's necessarily tedious. And necessary if you want to actually learn math.

It also minimizes shortcuts.  In a number of cases it is faster and more accurate to simply take empirical measurement of the solution then to actually mathematically determine it.

That depends on what you're trying to do. If you need to know the coefficient of drag of a new type of airfoil, then measuring the coefficient empirically will give a great answer of sufficient accuracy that you don't need much more. If you want to find the ideal airfoil shape, you need the underlying math, which means setting up the equations for fluid flow in three dimensions. That latter requires actual math, not just measurement.

Again, not every kid needs a solid grounding in anything but arithmetic (though I submit that every kid needs that solid grounding). But we, as a society, have decided that we don't want to foreclose options for kids at age 9, so we teach math, not just arithmetic. Whether that choice should be changed is a hard question.

• Like 4

I have discovered that taking a simethecone pill with food keeps me from becoming queasy between eating! What joy! What happiness! 

Tonight I am making a pot roast. And I am gonna enjoy the heck out of it! :grr:

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Ermagerd... the pot roast smells so good! :drool:

I remember being really hungry once while pregnant and pot roast with mashed potatoes was like heaven.  Now I want some...  :rolleyes:

• Like 8

I really, really don't want to go to work tonight. I don't even want to crawl out of bed. Then I get one day off, and it's back to work again. But then after next week I'm taking 3 days off right after my 3 day weekend, so I'm getting 6 days off in a row. I'm probably going to just veg out for those 6 days and do literally nothing but play games and watch TV...

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Ermagerd... the pot roast smells so good! :drool:

Until Megan was pregnant with Brigid, I had always thought that the 'Pickles and Ice Cream' was just a recurring and insensitive joke.

Nope! She really wanted Pickles and Ice Cream, though not generally together. (With exceptions... including an incident involving icicle dills and melted ice cream. Using the ice cream as a dip. :blink:)

The Auld Grump

Thinking about siccing some cannibal halfling zombies on the PC's ship.... (By 'thinking about' I mean it is happening right now - as the zombies pull themselves over the railing.*)

The Auld Grump - Megan's witch just picked up her first real combat spell - so I am giving her a chance to use it.

*Hey, Megan had minis for halfling cannibals - how could I not use them?! The zombies were happening anyway. ::P:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9

Well, I made it in to work despite my best efforts to curl into a ball so dense that it created the black hole that consumed the Earth. Now to spend 8 and a half hours here before going home and getting to crawl back into bed. The day has just started and I'm already done with it.

• Sad 8

31 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Well, I made it in to work despite my best efforts to curl into a ball so dense that it created the black hole that consumed the Earth. Now to spend 8 and a half hours here before going home and getting to crawl back into bed. The day has just started and I'm already done with it.

I've been in at work for three hours already. I'm about seven hours past being done with it...

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

On 9/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

Doozers got dispatched to my house, and worked fast.  The bottom level is framed in and roofed (technically floored).  Quick work for just two dudes. 

Fraggle Rock is one of the most underappreciated tv shows of all time. That show was awesome.

I would totally have Doozers building all my dungeons and terrain for gaming if I could.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:50 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

And some more toy furniture, for me. (The sad fact of finding something useful is that you tend to get more of it... Terrain Crate gave me a taste for toy furniture, and WizKids has started adding some....)

The local comic book shop has a bunch of Terrain Crate stuff for sale, and I'm seriously considering dropping $40 on the dungeon debris set.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:52 PM, Unruly said:

Don't go down the well! You never go down the well!

But if you do, say hello to Chester Copperpot for me...

On 9/28/2018 at 12:45 PM, kristof65 said:

By second grade for both my kids (two different school districts and schools), math became a chore that they hate.

Yeah, it was like that for me - boredom completely killed any interest I had in math. It was always kind of dull.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

I'll take facility with Common Sense [which you have quite often demonstrated] and rational thinking in the everyday world over raw I.Q. every time.

GEM

I often tell people I'm too smart to do anything truly stupid, but too stupid to do anything really smart.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:22 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Even so, we are outnumbered by a bit, so I will be taking as many as I can silently. Murder, not war.

Nah, it's just good tactics. It's only murder if you're not otherwise involved in a conflict with the people you're killing.

When people ask my advice on how to handle unfavorable odds in battle, my standard suggestion is, "Kill as many of them as you can as quietly as you can until they see you, and then kill as many of them as you can as quickly and loudly as you can."

13 hours ago, Unruly said:

My night at work began with, within 30 minutes of getting here, someone walking up within 20 feet of me and starting to pee in a parking lot. Then, when I tell him to put it away and GTFO, he gets indignant with me as if I'm the one being rude. It's like dude, no one wants to see your weiner, no one wants to step through your urine, and there's an open restaurant not 50 feet away that has bathrooms open to the public. His "excuse" was that he's a man, and he's from Cleveland. Because I guess being a man means you don't bother to try to find a bathroom and no one cares if you whip your junk out in Cleveland? I mean, I'm a guy and I'm not about to whip it out in a crowded parking lot just because I need to pee, and neither are most guys I know. Now, if we were in the woods and there's not a whole bunch of people around then it's a different story, but never in the middle of town.

Now, see... If this had been me I would have, at that point, pulled out the CS spray and shot him in said exposed junk with it...

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

The real question is will I be able to avoid stopping at the Book Barn. :lol:

I was just there today, around 4 PM.  I escaped with having bought only one book.

• Like 10

I was randomly thinking about things, and thought about Mad Libs.  Then I wondered who would appreciate a nice Mad Lib...and, well....

A vacation is when you take a trip to some @Glitterwolf place with your @Glitterwolf family. Usually you go to some place that is near a/an @Glitterwolf or up on a/an @Glitterwolf. A good vacation place is one where you can ride @Glitterwolf or play @Glitterwolf or go hunting for @Glitterwolf. I like to spend my time GLITTERING or WOLFING. When parents go on a vacation, they spend their time eating three @Glitterwolfs a day, and fathers play golf, and mothers sit around @Glitterwolf. Last summer, my little brother fell in a/an @Glitterwolf and got poison @Glitterwolf all over his @Glitterwolf. My family is going to go to (the) @Glitterwolf, and I will practice @Glitterwolf. Parents need vacations more than kids because parents are always very @Glitterwolf and because they have to work @Glitterwolf hours every day all year making enough @Glitterwolf to pay for the vacation.

'Cause I can.  :poke:

(I should note that this is a downloadable Mad Lib from their site.)

Edited by strawhat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

I have used up my first bottle of paint! The winner of this esteemed honor: grey liner. Really thought it would be brown liner or ginger cookie on the kaladrax challenge, but nope. Cthulhu now sports a lovely coat of nearly black grey. 

Oops. Forgot the wings. Well, ghoulie bag and free vampire in a couple of days. Works for me!

• Like 11