Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

I know I'll get enough XP tonight to hit level 9 in my D&D game. I was hoping that I'd have enough and could level up. Ah well... 

Making dinner now. Took a half day, and spent a bit at the park with the girls, and chatted with my aunt. We're both missing my mum, especially today. 

The pumpkins my bride and I carved Monday night are already looking kinda dodgy. A warm dry apartment is not a good place to keep a carved pumpkin. Or even an uncarved one, as I discovered last year... Which after having one in my old house for nearly... 9 months before it rotted, it just weird... Of course I kept the house around 58 when the outside temperature was lower than that. Here I never even need to put on pants if I'm not leaving the apartment to walk the dogs. 

• Like 7

On 10/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, TGP said:

Thats the excellent part?

The hardest thing for an actor to do well is to do nothing...  Dinklage's performance in I Think We're Alone Now was masterful - At first he seems to be happy with his life, and his daily routine, but upon closer inspection you realize that he's broken - he comes across as almost shell-shocked, outwardly a man simply going through the motions of his life out of habit, and his dialogue is reflective of that... But you can see in his facial expressions and his eyes that inside himself he's inches away from a screaming emotional meltdown and that only the precise repetition of his routine is keeping him from utter chaos.

Trying to put that much layered nuance into walking around town and catching a fish isn't easy.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

FTFY

Seriously! who goes down a well and expects to survive.  That lesson has been in place since the 80s...

Even before Atuk, there was a death well in the City-State of the Mad Overlord!  you just don't go down wells... ever!

Unless you are one of The Goonies...

• Like 6

On 10/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I think it isn't so much they aren't scared of people, they're just getting better at figuring out which of us have no desire to harm them.

During the winter of 2016 I had a couple of house mice declare themselves my new unofficial roommates. The first one figured out within the first two days I had no interest in trying to chase her around the room and so became quite comfortable in perching on my end table watching me play Skyrim. (She also had learned that her habit of killing roaches and bedbugs combined with the sad soulful eye routine would result in me being very generous in sharing the Cheese Nips.) 

Her boyfriend was an elfhole though who did not respect the little contract we had going. He would attempt to dive bomb himself into the box of  Cheese Nips and then when he couldn't get back out, soil them. Due to this and other annoying behaviors, I evicted him at the beginning of spring whereas the first mouse stuck around until the middle of summer. For awhile there were three or four baby mice, but they disappeared after a month or so. I think being small enough to fit under the door they invaded the hallway and got into other rooms where their life expectancy would have been dramatically lessened. They may also have made their way up above the ceiling tiles where they would have encountered the rats and again their chances of survival would've been slim. 

I think we caught a rat last night.

Either a very small rat or a very large mouse.

And it was ADORABLE!

It managed to be cuter than the mice.

Grump took it with him this morning.

And more scared of me than Grump, so I am thinking Grump just has some weird juju going on. ::P:

Right now I am toting Ms. B.D. Ladybug at the mall, getting candy. :wub: So many nice costumes! The cutest little boy dressed as a monkey, with a FEZ!

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

FTFY

Seriously! who goes down a well and expects to survive.  That lesson has been in place since the 80s...

Even before Atuk, there was a death well in the City-State of the Mad Overlord!  you just don't go down wells... ever!

That was the adults!

The kids KNOW BETTER!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

I just learned that Larry in our Saturday game works at a place in the mall that pays him to lounge around on the furniture looking comfortable, when there is nothing else to do.

Yogibo IS pretty comfortable, but that is still kind of weird. They are kind of like beanbag chairs, but not. We have one, and I like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

A Happy Halloween to all.

Busy day here - on top of several days of grinding headache.

Suitable candies have been procured for the few ghosties and ghoulies that will happen our way.

They will be suitably greeted and challenged by Mr. Pumpkinhead and his skeletal henchmen, all supervised by Featherfoot the shoulder dragon, and supported by Igor the Walking Stick.

Stay safe and enjoy the fun.

GEM

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Congratulations! It's a... Sleestak.

The Auld Grump

The restaurant has exactly one outlet in the dining room.

It is in the TV lounge.

One of my managers is watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

Oi!

The Auld Grump - I would literally find paint drying more interesting.

That comparison might carry more weight somewhere other than on a painting forum. We all find paint drying interesting...

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

So last Christmas my daughter got a Kindle Fire kids edition tablet.  A couple days ago, she tells me that it won't play any audio at all on either tablet or her headphones  This morning I get a chance to look at it, and discover that she has somehow managed to break the outer portion of the headphone plug off in the jack. So no wonder it won't play any audio...

Try as I might with tweezers, I couldn't get it out.  Not willing to do any damage by trying anything further, I reached out to Amazon to see if they could help. Best I was hoping for was a reasonable repair fee. 

Found out that the tablet has a 2 year "No questions asked warranty" and that they're willing to swap it out for me.   And because I was straight up with them as to what the problem was, they jumped past a bunch of intermediary steps they normally do, and went straight to sending me the exchange info. 

Hang on... if it's a "no questions asked warranty", what intermediary steps could they possibly have?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Let us just say that Ral Partha used to have a mini for an orc in a kilt....

With the traditional Scots undergarment.

The Auld Grump

Which poses the interesting  puzzle of

How does an Orc wear The Pride of Scotland?

GEM

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I generally don't mind the long messages with lots of detail as long as they leave their phone number at both the beginning AND end of the voice mail. I get annoyed when they leave it at the end, and I don't catch it, and I have to listen to the whole message again just to get the phone number.  Then there is this guy, who only leaves his name and no phone number.  Fortunately for him, I've been working with him for 16 years now, and can recognize his voice. 

In his case, it's not a simple problem.  It's 20 year old equipment that's obsolete and had an original intended lifespan of 10 years. I've been telling him to replace it since 2010. There are only three of us who can actually help him fix it, and I'm the only one available to him directly - to get to the other two, I have to refer him up to them.  And none of us do after hours service on a regular basis.  So the on call tech couldn't have helped him anyway.  However, the on call tech does know how to reach me directly after hours, and could have contacted me to see if I was available to call him back last night.  I would have called him back and set an appointment for first thing in the morning, which would have given him a two hour head start on calling him back this morning and getting coordinated for the troubleshooting we've been doing.  I've been working with him now off and on for 3 hours already. We're just about to the point where we're going to run out of things we can try before I'm going to have to tell him "It's dead Jim."  Which means he'll have to buy a new teller, something he's been trying to avoid for 8 years now. 

And just so you don't think I rag on all my customers, I have had multiple calls/emails today where I've been able to help and I've actually enjoyed talking to those people. Of course, that's because they're not calling about 20 year old equipment well past it's intended lifespan.  ::D:

Do yourself a favor and pronounce it dead, with no possibility of a resurrection spell working short of te cost of brand new equipment installed plus a percentage to be named later.

The guy has had at least an eight year heads up that his equipment was beyond its usable date.

If he hasn't banked enough money in those eight years to pay for the new equipment, then its all on him.

GEM

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arkady said:

If Skaven brewed a warpstone flavored energy drink, would it be called Rat Bull?

I haven't seen that one before, but people have come up with lots of advertisements for these sorts of products for adorning Blood Bowl pitches (for example, see http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20178 )

• Like 3

On 10/30/2018 at 5:37 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

One of my closest friends has gone missing since yesterday afternoon. I'm a little stressed out by it all.

I'm afraid that I have an update, and it's not a good one. My friend was found this morning and he had taken his own life. The entire gaming community here is in shock right now, he was one of my two friends that ran the Gamer's Guild here and even though he no longer lived here, he and his wife made the trip every month to make sure that it was running and teach people the joy of boardgames. He was an amazing dungeon master who was one of my closest friends, and the loss hurts even more because of how close our little group was. We lost a man whose creativity and imagination brought so much joy in our lives, and it's not easy to take in right now, no matter how many times I've felt loss in my life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 33

38 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I'm afraid that I have an update, and it's not a good one. My friend was found this morning and he had taken his own life. The entire gaming community here is in shock right now, he was one of my two friends that ran the Gamer's Guild here and even though he no longer lived here, he and his wife made the trip every month to make sure that it was running and teach people the joy of boardgames. He was an amazing dungeon master who was one of my closest friends, and the loss hurts even more because of how close our little group was. We lost a man whose creativity and imagination brought so much joy in our lives, and it's not easy to take in right now, no matter how many times I've felt loss in my life.

You have my sympathy. This is a terrible tragedy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There have been intermittent sirens outside and I think I just heard a very big explosion somewhere not too close.

UPDATE: Ugh, it was a half stick of dynamite a couple of blocks away which the police were called on or found, I guess. Much closer than I thought. A very rumbly “boomf” it was.

Edited by Pingo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

47 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I'm afraid that I have an update, and it's not a good one.

I'm...  "I'm sorry" doesn't quite cut it but I don't have better words.  I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry I don't have better words.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1