Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

So, my mom got me this:

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.43ce72cb620c5f3a291b3c5438cb99c4.JPG

her face was creeping me out, I had to cover it.

as well as the companion book for baby's first year. 

My my mom gave me homework!!! :blink:

Megan found that book very informative.

Sometimes after the fact. ::P:

I found it informative as well, if not as immediately useful. The husband really needs to read it, not just the mommy.

Great game last night - Dione, who was playing the paladin, really took to his role.

And had a great combat scene - the rest of the party engaging the lesser vampires, while Dione pushed forward to engage the elder vampire.

The vampire managed to take him to 0 in one hit, but Dione used his Smite - killing the vampire, even as he himself collapsed.

He was at -8 before he stabilized, but the rest of the kids did eventually take out the last of the vampires.

And, with the death of the last of the vampire spawn the waters started rising, flooding into the chambers that had been shielded from its cold embrace for so long.

Nice to see Dione getting into his role - he was one of the kids that the game was started for, but until last night he had been mainly playing hack and slash fighter types. Going and thumping whatever other players told him needed thumping.

I think he learned to love Smite last night. ::):

And it was fun, putting the mini for Orcus on the table - a painted statue, but enough to really worry the kids.

The Auld Grump - I still wouldn't be drinking any water out of that well for a while....

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I'm afraid that I have an update, and it's not a good one. My friend was found this morning and he had taken his own life. The entire gaming community here is in shock right now, he was one of my two friends that ran the Gamer's Guild here and even though he no longer lived here, he and his wife made the trip every month to make sure that it was running and teach people the joy of boardgames. He was an amazing dungeon master who was one of my closest friends, and the loss hurts even more because of how close our little group was. We lost a man whose creativity and imagination brought so much joy in our lives, and it's not easy to take in right now, no matter how many times I've felt loss in my life.

Pezler, I'm so sorry. I have no words for that kind of loss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

yep.  This is exactly my concern.  I genuinely like the guy, too - so it's rough for me to just sit back and keep my mouth shut. 

on another topic, today started out with them finally harvesting the corn in the field across the street from me.  Never had this close of a vantage point to the process - so it's been fun to watch from my office window, if a little noisy and dusty. 

sometimes its cash management.  I often see a plant spending all sorts of maintenance money in small increments to avoid the hassle of asking for an actual capital replacement.  I am sure the car wash is a small business and doesn't have a lot of these issues but it can look awful tempting to spend $300 a month in repairs rather than having to get a loan with a $200 a month payment.  As a species we have a tendency to look for the option that will result in the least work today, rather than the one that will result in the least work overall.

and watching a combine do its thing is downright impressive...  unless its pointed at you.  then its downright scary!

• Like 5

I'm poking my head in. Normally October is one of my favorite months, but this month I've been on a see-saw between extremely bad and extremely good. No in between. I haven't painted in at least two weeks and haven't been on here for at least 3. I'm getting on right now because I'm home sick after another flippy-floppy day yesterday. Halloween is usually my favorite holiday, but yesterday was all over the place. On one hand, I got Mr. Mouse to dress up in costume for the first time ever (and he did a couple's costume with me <3) and won a work mug full of candy corn at the office Halloween party - it was one of those "Guess how many" things, and I guessed 167 - more or less the first number that popped into my head looking at it - and it turned out to be 170 candies in there. THEN I have my cold - which I've been fighting for several days now - exasperate my asthma to the point that I was in the ER from 3:00pm until 10:00pm. It turned out to be *just* a viral upper respiratory infection, and I can now breath again (thanks to the medicine the doctors gave me)...but that also means it's gonna last at least 2-3 more days until it works its way out of my system. Also. The breathing issues happened at 3pm - one hour before I was supposed  to get off work. So I have a freakin' asthma/coughing fit in the kitchenette, and all of security is around me, causing my brain weasels to run around like mad... Thank god Mr. Mouse works at the same place I did. They nearly called a freakin' ambulance. I haven't disclosed any of this to family, because I have no idea whether or not I want to. 

On a more positive note, I did manage to walk more often - at least twice a week in October I went for nice, long walks! Proud of that, even though it was less than my goal.

Now, turning to responses to other posts (sorry if these feel thrown in. I got on to share and check in, then saw other things I want to respond to)

Combines are scary things when they turn on you. My maternal grandfather once was using one  (I'm pretty sure it was a combine) on their family farm, and a cob of corn got stuck in the works. Of course, he hops off, reaches in, and grabs it out. Only he forgot to turn off the machine first. So, he lost 3 1/2 fingers to the machine before he was able to get his hand back out. 

That's a very, very old story, told to me by my mom. He's been gone for over 23 years now. We (as a family) laugh about the stupidity of even the smartest people sometimes, so we consider that to be a light-hearted story, since he still had most of his fingers and was able to get on quite fine after that. 

And now for what I really want to finish with:
Pez, I'm so sorry about your friend. It's always hard to lose someone close to you, and even harder when you don't see it coming. There isn't much anyone can say about a loss that they don't themselves feel, but I hope you've got lots of people around you to support you during this time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

6 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

This is rather odd seeing as how this kind of thing is usually reserved for when the home sportsball team wins a tournament or something...

In Boston they throw beer. In unopened cans. :upside: Or so I was shown. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Heathens, one does not waste beer in such a fashion! 

Now Tab on the other hand....

One of them managed to hit the big shiny gold sportsball trophy ...and dinged it up a bit. 

Its a big picture...because sportsball is important. 

world-series-trophy-damaged-beer-can.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

In Boston they throw beer. In unopened cans. :upside: Or so I was shown. 

I watched first hand as somebody in the crowd tossed a beer to a team employee, who then proceeded to shotgun said beer and celebrate, all while a Boston PD officer watched bemusedly*. It was a crazy few hours.

On the other hand, nothing (to my knowledge) was set on fire, and the streets were cleaned up before rush hour started.

* - I can't say I endorse that kind of behavior, as the potential consequences to health and property are obvious (and demonstrated an hour later when somebody hit the trophy), but I can imagine worse.

38 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

"Beer" is a strong term for the type of beverages being thrown...

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

When I was young we had a lot of fun, dirty beer wasting things we'd do. Then it got expensive and we all decided to try to keep as much as we could on the inside instead of the outside.

3 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I watched first hand as somebody in the crowd tossed a beer to a team employee, who then proceeded to shotgun said beer and celebrate, all while a Boston PD officer watched bemusedly. It was a crazy few hours.

On the other hand, nothing (to my knowledge) was set on fire, and the streets were cleaned up before rush hour started.

I was living in the city when the Bluejays won the world series in'92. I didn't leave my apartment but could hear some of the excitement. The police shut down the main street on my side of town and people went nuts. Afterwards I was kind of sad I missed it because people here don't usually go that nuts. Would've been something to see.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Zink said:

I was living in the city when the Bluejays won the world series in'92. I didn't leave my apartment but could hear some of the excitement. The police shut down the main street on my side of town and people went nuts. Afterwards I was kind of sad I missed it because people here don't usually go that nuts. Would've been something to see.

I also attended the 2004 Red Sox parade. I don't recall it being any crazier than yesterday. If anything, it might have been a little tamer.

...but it was worth it just to see the whole city get together and just be happy, all at the same time. I have never experienced such a thing before, or since.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

"Fermented Moose Urine" perhaps is a better descriptor.

I thought that was what all american beer was made from.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 3