Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Wanted to do some hobby stuff today and I am but I kind of feel like I'm bouncing around like a chicken with it's head cut off. #2 son decided he wanted a beach and bit of ocean for his Roblox figures. He's using about 3/4 of my terrain and a bunch of his stuff to cover the entire pingpong table to play with his figures. We were planning on how to do the little bay using a chunk of 3mm mdf I hadn't chopped up yet. Wife comes along and says, "why make it so small? Use the whole piece." And we did. It's roughly 19"x19". :blink: Every hour or so we go apply some more paint, sand or flock to another area of it. Will probably finish tomorrow morning. It's hard to get him to play any of my mini games but at least he likes doing the craft side of it.

In between that I'm working on some ruined wall sections for my castle, making a small pond, assembling a paint rack out of PVC conduit tubing and other things. It's good to have a couple things to work on while you're waiting for paint or glue to dry but this is a bit ridiculous. I did figure out my plan for the paint rack so I can knock it together quick now. Not sure how wide I want to make it but the great thing about it is that it's easily expandable in height and width. And it cost about $15 to hold over 50 paints. I think I'll need another chunk of conduit (for another 50+ bottles) but that's only ~$8. The glue was the more expensive part and I have lots of it. I've ordered a bunch of empty dropper bottles and beads for agitators and I plan on transferring the paints in pots to dropper bottles. Then I'll do a big reorganisation of my paints on the racks.

• Like 10

Wheee, now that I'm done with that attempt at a 7-day challenge...  Now for something even harder.

"Clean Hands" run through of Dishonored.  While getting "Ghost", "Shadow", "Surgical", and "Mostly Flesh and Steel"....  All at the same time...

For those unfamiliar with the game, essentially it means don't kill ANYONE, and don't EVER bee seen.  Some of the levels are, uhm, shall we say... Difficult.  Very difficult.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We have tickets for the Tut Exhibit!  I will be making our actual time and date reservations on Monday.

GEM

Nice!  I saw that a few years ago, it was great.  ^_^ 

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Same. Though, my tiredness is wearing off, so Soon(tm) I may be able to hobby. 

I've been waiting for my child-induced fatigue to wear off, but no luck so far...  Once in a while I have a good day.  :rolleyes:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - the more we use scenery in our games, the more we like using scenery in our games.

The only problem I have with scenery, is the space it requires. Especially if you're going all out and doing something like a whole dungeon setup using stuff like Dwarven Forge tiles. That eats up a LOT of room. The setup and teardown times can also be an issue, but if you're building out a dungeon as the characters explore it, rather than trying to set everything up at once, then it's less of one.

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

If Megan paints her face silver, and screams 'Witness me!', I am blaming you!

*EDIT* If not for Trang, Megan, and Julie, I would never have realized that Fury Road is a chick flick.... ::P:

The Auld Grump - and led to my running Gorka Morka.

Don't blame me. Blame that upstart young turk by the name of George Miller.

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx, good to know.

I hope he will show up soon.

There are plenty of people who don't paint much, we can still have fun,..

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

If painting was a requirement for hanging out here then I'd never be around...  Sometimes life just doesn't leave me the energy to actually get any painting done.  

I literally haven't painted anything at all in over a year. Maybe even two at this point. I can't remember.

I bought the Nativity box set last year with plans to paint it for my grandmother's Christmas present this year and that's not going to happen because I'm completely unmotivated to put effort into anything that involves me not laying in bed. I could go into a bit of detail as to why, but to keep it simple I'll just say that I can't monetarily afford the steps necessary to get an actual diagnosis. So I come here almost solely to read Randomness and chat a tiny bit about games over in General Fantasy. I live vicariously through others, because my life sucks. If I lived in the world of Shadowrun, I'd definitely be a simsense addict. Maybe even BTLs...

And occasionally I end up seeing something mentioned in the Kickstarter section that I look at, or I get enabled by someone in Acquisitions...

• Sad 9

7 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Nice!  I saw that a few years ago, it was great.  ^_^ 

I've been waiting for my child-induced fatigue to wear off, but no luck so far...  Once in a while I have a good day.  :rolleyes:

I saw the original exhibit so am looking forward very much to seeing what has been added.

Wife never saw the original.

As to child-induced fatigue, I don't think that actually goes away until the space aliens land and swap out the brains in the nearly adult sized bodies.  Then you as the parent get a whole 'nother set of problems to deal with.

GEM

• Like 7

I'm now annoyed.

I got home roughly an hour and a half ago. I was expecting to find my Klukva Miniatures Barbarian Dude(and his two brothers to use the extra bits up) in my mailbox, but it wasn't there. So I checked tracking again, and it said it was still out for delivery. I decided I'd wait and see if I could catch it rather than taking a nap like I'd planned. Well, the hour went by and I checked the tracking to see if it was delivered or not, and now there's an update from like 2 minutes after I got home saying that delivery was attempted and a notice was left. But I never heard a knock, and for the first 5-10 minutes that I was home I was standing at the top of my stairs, directly above the front door, as I unpacked some groceries that I'd bought on my way home. So I go to check the mailbox or my front door for the notice, and there's no notice either!

I mean, normally I don't get upset about the mail. My dad was a carrier for 20+ years. I know how the mail works, and I know how things are with it. But man, now I gotta wait until Monday and go to the post office to pick it up. And because there's no notice, I get to be one of "those people" that my dad used to complain about when he worked as postmaster of a small post office who shows up unprepared. At least I have a tracking number I can easily pull up and show them...

• Sad 10

50 minutes ago, Unruly said:

But I never heard a knock, and for the first 5-10 minutes that I was home I was standing at the top of my stairs, directly above the front door, as I unpacked some groceries that I'd bought on my way home. So I go to check the mailbox or my front door for the notice, and there's no notice either!

That is annoying.  I wonder if they went to someone else's house and left the notice there.   Our postman sometimes leaves our mail at the neighbor's house and vice versa.

• Sad 5

I finally gave up doing nothing, and have done Some of the Things. After the pumpkin in the oven is done cooking I'll head out and get some curry for Hubby and I. He's got three hours left of his 12 hour shift, and I want him to have food when he gets home.

• Like 10

Hopefully the time change tonight will help me finally break out of the current hibernation phase I've been slipping into over the past week. I still have several of the Countdown to Halloween minis to finish and a pack of witch hunters and mouslings to get started on for this month's theme. 

• Like 7

Pretty sure my pathfinder group has made some sort of mistake, because it took 23 castings of cure light wounds to get through the dead warrens...

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Glued together all the conduit I had for a paint rack. Let's just say I seriously underestimated the amount of paints that weren't on the old rack. I have to wait until Monday to go buy another 10' piece. That should just barely cover me. Somehow I went from about 50-60 paints a year and a half ago to around 230+ right now. I think I have all I want right now but you never know. I thought I needed enough rack space for 50 or so paints but really have over a hundred.

Almost finished #2 son's beach with river inlet. We made some waves out of heavy gel medium and that takes a long time to dry. In the morning we need to do a little touch up painting and then paint the water with gloss Modge Podge. It looks decent for the amount of time we spent on it and matches my river well. 

I've been wanting to do more water terrain for a long time and made a small, deep pond as well. I'd seen a river done mostly with black that looked cool so I tried it. I've got a very shiny black pit now but I'm not sure it's convincing as water. Need to do some flocking around the edges. Didn't do a lot on the castle walls but got started. Also finished off 5 speed painted minis that've been sitting around for awhile.

All in all I'm calling it a good day on the hobby front. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you head for the hobby room every spare minute. Don't think I spent a half hour each time but still got in several hours total.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

There are plenty of people who don't paint much, we can still have fun,..

^^ This ^^

So very much.  I haven't picked up a brush since my last game of Imperial Assault in...May...I think...

I keep meaning to, but it doesn't seem to happen.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Completed a massive project tonight. Finally. I plan to put up a show off thread tomorrow of all the stompy goodness.

Oooooh, is it the kind of stompy that a fox likes?  So can't wait to see this thread! 

• Like 5

So, does anyone use masking fluid when they're painting their minis? I'm looking for some recommendations for one that's readily available in the US.

• Like 3