Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

37 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

I love it when adults act like adults.

Depends on the adults, and what kind of kids they act like. (Me, I still play with toy soldiers....)

The kids are facing a Hydra tonight - could get interesting....

The Auld Grump - I need to get a second Bones Hydra.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

@Unruly - that's cool.  More people being reasonable (you for forgiveness, and him for taking responsibility) is what this world needs right now. 

What happened with the guy who claimed to be a cop? 

That guy didn't show for his court date over the parking ticket. Which doesn't matter in a legal sense, so it's not like he's gonna get a warrant issued for failure to appear or anything. But I also haven't heard from the officer I know whose wife works for the county prosecutor's office if the guy actually is a cop with the department we were thinking he's with. If he actually is a cop.

So, so far, nothing. And honestly, it's unlikely that anything will happen with it. If I end up running into the guy again, maybe something will happen with it, but until then it's just a case of whatever for the time being.

Just now, Weird-O said:

The best adults are the ones that don't get hung up on wether toy soldiers are just for kids. :)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

• Like 19

Buddha's Hand, the citron that looks like it is going to eat your face.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Buddha's Hand, the citron that looks like it is going to eat your face.

The Cthulhu of the citrus family...

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Just now, Argentee said:

The Cthulhu of the citrus family...

My local market carries them one day a year and I've always missed them before.

I confess I enjoy the thought of plunking one on the table and hearing my kids say "Ohgod."

It would make a gloriously terrifying mini.

(Also it sounds like it will be useful for holiday baking)

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

29 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

The best adults are the ones that don't get hung up on wether toy soldiers are just for kids. :)

Truth!

• Like 7

Buddha's Hand fruit could do well for a DM trying to role play as a mind flayer. Try to hold one in the teeth, then speak to the players. It will be hilarious and awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

Nathan Fillion is well known in my hometown, coincidentally his hometown, for being a geek. But really only after the success of Firefly. Just when it was becoming a thing, and the first comic books came out, he was in one of the comic/game stores, and was going to sign a few comics. Without permission of course, and the clerk didn't recognize him. So he used the comic as ID. Needless to say, said clerk still hasn't quite lived that one down. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Had a couple annoying moments yesterday and today related to this. Mother in law is normally pretty decent but last night she walks into my hobby hole and starts staring at my minis. "How many do you have?"

Me, "Not sure there's about 1100 (not a typo) on the shelves right now." That's my mostly painted collection that's out in the open. There's probably that many still in boxes.

"What in the world do you need that many for?"

Me, "They make me happy." "But why do you need them?"

Me, "Why does anybody need the things they buy? Most of our money is technically wasted on useless things."

"But you never do anything with them. Why waste all your time on them?"

Me, "I play games with the kids and I enjoy painting and collecting them."

"You don't play very often and you're wasting a lot of time and money on them."

Me, "Well I suppose I could be like the typical russian man and spend all my time and money on cigarettes, alcohol and chasing women. It is pretty sad that I'm wasting a couple hundred dollars a year on toys, spending time with my children and am home every night."

Today when I came back from the farm I brought a box of minis, Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest boxes and some other odds and ends with me. MIL says, "My god even more toys and games. Where are you going to put them all?" Me being tired of the conversation and just plain physical tired, "Enough with the negativity and whining already! Who do you think paid for the house you're living in?" The wife burst out laughing. I found out later that she'd just had an argument with her mom over how negative she's been towards everybody the last few days. 

Then my wife says, "It looks to me like you're moving your entire collection from the farm to town." I'm like, "Uh, what part of me building a huge set of shelves, saying I'm going to be putting all my minis and games on them and then slowly doing it over the last year wasn't clear?" "But I didn't think you meant everything!" "This ain't everything but I'm working on it. :poke:" She's ok with it as long as it doesn't overflow my designated areas. I spend some time organising and compacting the collection before bringing more to this house. The kids and I only work or do outside stuff at the farm anymore so not much point in leaving my toys there. I just have to be disorganised enough that there's not enough empty space on my shelves for her to want to start moving her stuff into my space. ^_^ I know I have more than enough space for my fantasy collection but when I dig out my scifi (mostly 40k minis) space might get kind of tight. That's a problem for another year though.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

Nathan Fillion is well known in my hometown, coincidentally his hometown, for being a geek. But really only after the success of Firefly. Just when it was becoming a thing, and the first comic books came out, he was in one of the comic/game stores, and was going to sign a few comics. Without permission of course, and the clerk didn't recognize him. So he used the comic as ID. Needless to say, said clerk still hasn't quite lived that one down. 

I won't lie. Prior to about 2008, I probably would have been that clerk. I don't remember exactly when I finally saw Firefly, but it had to have been no earlier than 2006, and was most likely closer to 2008 as it was sometime in that span that I first got Netflix. And its availability on Netflix was the reason I finally watched Firefly. I wasn't about to buy the DVDs based on a friend's recommendation, and for some reason my friends that loved the show wouldn't lend me theirs.

• Like 9

So we had an uneventful trip to Las Vegas, except for The Root Beer. 

Stopped in Baker for  leg stretch, etc. and I found an intriguing looking brown bottle with a label that read "Tommyknocker Root Beer" with an appropriately dressed dwarvish looking gentleman prominently displayed.

Oh what a tasty Root Beer! :wub:  It has a distinctive flavor that reminds me of maple syrup under the usual root beer theme, a real treat.

We are staying at the Trump International Las Vegas - because - SWMBO got us some kind of deal where in exchange for 2 hours of our time we get to camp out here for 3 days on the presenters out of our 4 day stay.

We are in what they call a Studio, on the 18th floor.  It's bigger and better appointed than my first studio apartment in  San Diego when I was in the Navy.

They wanted to put us on the 43rd floor, but, me having grown up and lived nearly all my life in earthquke country I like to be as close to the ground as possible. 

I know, if the building comes down we're still dead.  But it's a shorter ride to the ground and I won't be feeling anything at that point anyway.

Back to the story.  This place is almost as nice as our accomodations at Reapercon, except for the nearby Union Pacific Main Line where the trains have to signal for the grade crossing, and our picture window view of "Henry Mokney's Erotic Heritage Museum"  in all it's neon lit glory.  And for all the first class amenities, . . . . . . . . . . . . .

it's still single ply toilet paper.

GEM

From th road

Adendum:  The one thing we have that we didn't have in Denton is a jetted tub, almost big enough to stage a miniature naval battle.

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Added stuff
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Weird-O said:

When they do get hung up that way just refer them to H.G. Wells, and every single War College on the planet.

Wells wrote one of the first published rules sets for staging battles with "toy soldiers".

GEM

• Like 6