Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, TGP said:

Here’s hoping this is a good deed that will go unpunished. 

I've seen situations where a truck has had a brake fire start on the trailer.

The usual ending is for the trailer to be declared total loss.

And that's the best case scenario if you are dealing with a dry van or reefer.

Once cargo is involved, all bets are off.

Once it gets hot enough to go from smoking to actually On Fire the standard fire extinguisher carried on a truck isn't going to be enough to not only put out the flames but cool the overheated wheel assembly to the point where it won't flash over into flames again as soon as the fire suppression quits.  Once the tires are on fire, it's all over but the part where the fire department hoses down the wreckage because the frame of the trailer quickly gets hot enough to literally melt.

It ain't pretty, and it ain't fun to watch when you're going down the same hill with your jake brake on full and watching the RPM still creeping up and you are keeping another eye on the air gauge [which is off the peg] and two more eyes on the grade, and here's another rig on the side of the road burning down.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, strawhat said:

Welcome back my friends,

to the thread that never ends,

We're so glad you could attend,

come inside, come inside!

There behind the glass

is the thread before the last,

Look swiftly as you pass,

Move Along! Move Along!

GEM

Just now, Corsair said:

You just reminded me of the old CW McCall song, Wolf Creek Pass

BTDT

But not with the Chickens.

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Corsair said:

You just reminded me of the old CW McCall song, Wolf Creek Pass

About two months ago, I went on a YouTube binge of CW McCall: Wolf Creek Pass, Black Bear Road, Old Home Filler Up and Keep on Truckin' Cafe, Classified, Convoy, etc.

All the classics!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

We are missing a few of our heaviest posters...

I know I post a semi-decent amount, but not enough to qualify that post... I've been researching stuff, so barely touched the forums tonight.. 

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Fist pots?! … mebbe I shouldn't ask.

Sounds like something ub3r would do... 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, strawhat said:

FeedRA.png.bd353c209787b640169ac3470dc1caa9.png

:poke:

Yes, please!

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I missed something ?? why did for you to freeze your hand?

Oh, I strained my arm when I fell down the stairs. It was all inflamed, so I was icing it. Feels much better now.

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Cookies?

Yes, please!

• Like 10
1 hour ago, TGP said:

We may have already started the new thread... 

... @Froggy the Great May pick a post from the last 80 or so and transfer it, and all that followed, to the new thread. 

If he does that, it should totally be my previous post. I mean, it's only fitting.

58 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I've seen situations where a truck has had a brake fire start on the trailer.

The usual ending is for the trailer to be declared total loss.

And that's the best case scenario if you are dealing with a dry van or reefer.

Once cargo is involved, all bets are off.

Once it gets hot enough to go from smoking to actually On Fire the standard fire extinguisher carried on a truck isn't going to be enough to not only put out the flames but cool the overheated wheel assembly to the point where it won't flash over into flames again as soon as the fire suppression quits.  Once the tires are on fire, it's all over but the part where the fire department hoses down the wreckage because the frame of the trailer quickly gets hot enough to literally melt.

It ain't pretty, and it ain't fun to watch when you're going down the same hill with your jake brake on full and watching the RPM still creeping up and you are keeping another eye on the air gauge [which is off the peg] and two more eyes on the grade, and here's another rig on the side of the road burning down.

GEM

Well, this was the brakes on the rearmost driver's side wheel pair on the trailer. His extinguisher put it out by dumping the entire thing into it(as I said before, the wheel hub and rim were toasted when I looked later). It was one that was maybe twice the size of the one I have under my kitchen sink. The cloud was enormous and covered the whole bridge, and I was just thinking that I hoped another truck didn't come along because in all honesty those guys turn onto that bridge way too fast and he was only maybe his whole truck length from the turn. It's a 2 lane bridge with a wide turn onto it, and half the time the trucks won't slow down enough to take the turn without eating up the entire oncoming traffic lane for a good 20 feet.

The city has tried to ban the trucks from using that route into the city because of how the truckers do that, but they can't because it's a state route that the state specifically has marked as a trucking route. And then the state doesn't maintain it for crap...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Anyway, the combo of ice, Tylenol, and sleep have eased the pain in my arm. So I guess freezing my hand was worth it after all.

So hopefully your arm continues to improve, but I learned a cool trick from my physical therapist.  You take a paper cup full of water, freeze it, and then peel away the top of the cup.  You now can 'massage' your sore, inflammed appendage with the ice.  It's much nicer than sitting with an ice pack for 20min.  Hope you're feeling better!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4