Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Sigh. It was around 70F all night, and I left windows open when I went to work. So why the heck is my house still 85F when I come home 8 hours later!? It's hotter inside than out, and I can't do anything to fix it, it seems.

Also, it's proving to be more than a little bit difficult to purchase replacement parts for an AC condenser unit. And I'm not talking about the refrigerants or the pumps or anything like that. I'm talking about the capacitor and the contactor(basically a fancy switch) that turn the dang thing on and which are the two most common points of failure. For one, its a case of part numbers being confusing, thanks to largely undocumented deprecation and replacement of parts. Then, unless you're a licensed HVAC technician a lot of the more helpful places that can walk you through the part number changes won't sell the parts to you. I can find places online that sell the parts, but none of them have the parts for my now 15-ish year old condenser unit because all of those part numbers are no longer made because they've been replaced by other part numbers and they don't have the list of "this replaces X part numbers."

At least in the case of the capacitor I was able to find the modern version of the one that's currently there, and the only difference is a slight change in size that will require me to bend the mounting bracket a little. It's skinnier and longer than the old one, or so I've read, despite being the same actual part from the same manufacturer. The contactor is another story. I can find similar, but not the same. And it's making me a bit crazy. All I want to do is try to fix the AC without having a repair bill in the multiple hundreds...

Sometimes you just need to figure out which windows should be left open, and which need to be closed, in order to have an air flow though the house.

Because of the way our apartment is laid out, it is a lot more effective to put a fan in one open window, and have another open window at the other end of the apartment - with the rest of the windows left closed.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hot. We discovered our new AC was leaking so we had to shut it off before if caused any water damage to the carpet. So we're kind of suffering for a while. 

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the AC was evaporating the water like it was supposed to be doing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

senses Glitterwolf's distress and comes running wearing a surgeon's smock and carrying an ice cream scoop

Don't worry my glitter furred friend!  I'm pretty sure I have a degree in brain weaselology that qualifies me to scoop out the unwanted parts of the old grey matter without any lasting side effects!

has brief moment of doubt

Or was that a summer internship at Baskin Robbins?

shrugs off doubts and raises his ice cream scoop again

No matter, I'm sure it will work out either way! 

one_silly_wolf_again_by_woxys-d2xsd9i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I want to paint but it's ridiculously hot. Maybe I'll wait until the sun starts going down a little more.

It's always nice to be reassured that I'm not the only one who suffers penalties in sunlight.  Pro Tip: if you absolutely must do things during the day, sewer networks connect to most banks, supermarkets, etc.  Just watch out for albino gators.  And also rat men. 

I haven't seen a ray of sunshine since Texas, and I've got the rickets to prove it!  As an additional bonus, the stench makes people leave the line so you always get right to the front and they serve you as fast as possible.  Sometimes they make mistakes in your favour at the bank, too, which is why I've become so effluent!     

• Haha 14

25 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Wha tha...

*gags*

*swallows*

Oh, hi Buglips. Should have smelt it was you.

If you know what's good for you, yes.  Especially since I have been entered into the medical records as my very own malady!  If you smell something so bad that you retch yourself into organ/tissue damage it's an aromatoma.

18 minutes ago, Crowley said:

*does not want to know how Buglips made a whale puke...*

It's a trade secret anyway.  I learned it from a disgruntled dolphin with a grudge.  If I breathe a word of it I'm gonna get flippered. 

17 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Fellow goblin! You have returned to us! *hcvk* .. .wow. Where'd you get the great stench? I need some of that, next I'm running orcs off the farm...

It's toxicity is OVER 9000.  I'm quite proud of my new discovery.  Look, look!  It even visibly hangs about me, like a green smoky cloak!  If you look closely you can even see the grass die!

• Like 2
  • Haha 10