Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

It's hot. We discovered our new AC was leaking so we had to shut it off before if caused any water damage to the carpet. So we're kind of suffering for a while. 

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the AC was evaporating the water like it was supposed to be doing.

Yeah, that's basically what I've heard about a lot of the portable units.  It was super muggy yesterday which probably didn't help.  Every summer I ponder getting one, but then fall rolls around and I put it off another year.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Yeah, that's basically what I've heard about a lot of the portable units.  It was super muggy yesterday which probably didn't help.  Every summer I ponder getting one, but then fall rolls around and I put it off another year.  

It's supposed to have a feature that automatically recycles most of the water it collects. It also is supposed to give you an error message when it's full and will shut off but it didn't do that. Really hoping we don't have a defective unit. ::(:

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I just got a call from The Complete Strategist... They have a WizKids Beholder for me!

I'm still waiting to hear about mine. ::(:

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 4

Hmmm, a one of the guys at work is doing something to get rid of his child support payments... he is remarrying the woman that he divorced.

She, for her part, is looking forward to having someone to take over some of the responsibility... on both sides, it sounds like they are going in with their eyes open, this time, and with more reasonable expectations.

A whole lot less 'We're in loooove! :wub:' and a whole lot more 'We can make this work!'

Looks... hopeful.

The Auld Grump

• Like 15

So the moving company packed and picked up my stuff on June 25th. And today I learned that they're is going to deliver all of my stuff in about three to four weeks. ::o:

That's... a tad (by an order of magnitude) longer than I anticipated.

[Sigh] :down:

I'm not sure if I should be upset at the moving company, or myself for not asking beforehand how long everything would take. Then again, I now live pretty far away from major centers. And the company's hub is in Ontario, making it even further. And I did get my move pretty much at the last minute... during the season where most people move. So maybe I was asking for it.

Last time I moved, it was in February, and it took about week. Good thing I still have a place to go in the meanwhile, and I do have my car now, so I'm mobile.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

Hey guys.

I haven't posted much in a while. I do lurk now and again.

Been dealing with stuff...moving and a bad infestation of brain weasels. 

Sorry for coming in and complaining, but I wanted to share with people who might understand my frustration.

I had a really bad day with the brain weasels that whisper into my ear that everyone is out to get me. Nothing was making me feel better, so I sat down to paint. Only my wet pallet paper wasn't cut. So I went to cut it.

You know how I mentioned I just moved? Somehow only my exacto knife went missing among all my mini painting stuff...

Only the knife.

I searched a bunch of boxes for it, to no avail.

Today has not been good to me.

• Sad 15

@Paradoxical Mouse, I hope things settle down now that you've moved.  I know the feeling about how objects disappear at the most inconvenient times, generally I just assume another family member moved them.  

Unless it's my kitchen timer.  Then it's rage time, because the kitchen timer is MINE, and is always supposed to be returned if hubby borrows it and the kids are supposed to ask permission.  My kitchen timer is my precious.  

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, I found a contactor that is purported to be the same as the one I need. That said, the details on it were scant. It doesn't have the full tech specs listed, and the image is so grainy that I couldn't make out the ratings on the label. I suspect it's a stock image of a single pole contactor and not of the one in question, because they all look the same. However, it was listed as being a replacement for the exact part number on my current one, a 100438-01, where every other one I saw was listed as a replacement for a 100438-04. And all of those were 25/35 amp, while the one I have is a 25/30. I assume that they were simply further revisions of the same unit, but I was hesitant to up my ampacity out of fear for the other components. I don't know that it would have made any real difference, but I want to be safe and try not chance it.

Now to wait for the part to arrive. They've already made a shipping label for it, so maybe I'll get lucky and it shows up sooner rather than later. That said, I'm now pretty sure the primary problem is the capacitor. I manually switched the current contactor to its on state, and I could hear the compressor trying, but failing, to start. And that's a sign that the capacitor isn't providing enough juice. If I had a decent multimeter, like a Fluke 117, I'd be able to test the capacitor and be sure, but I only have a no-name cheapo that's basically only good for testing voltage and resistance.

The contactor could still be bad, though. So both are getting replaced...

For the contactor, you are safe to go with one with a slightly higher rated amperage capacity but one with a smaller capacity is definitely a No-Go.

Trying to run the system on a too low amperage rated contactor is like trying to use too light an extension cord.  The first thing you will notice is the plugs/wire getting warm then comes the electrical fire.  With the contactor, it will burn out and you will be lucky if the extra strain on the motor doesn't cause it to overheat and burn out.

For the starting capacitor, if you are within 10% of the rated capacitance of the one being replaced you should be good to go.

Good luck with your repairs.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Fumble fingers
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

It's hot. We discovered our new AC was leaking so we had to shut it off before if caused any water damage to the carpet. So we're kind of suffering for a while. 

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the AC was evaporating the water like it was supposed to be doing.

Is it a refrigeration system or a swamp cooler?

If it's a refrigeration system it is condensing the moisture out of the air, a normal part of the process.  In really humid weather an efficient system will have a small steady stream of cold water coming off of the condenser.

If it's a swamp cooler it's either not sealed properly or the float valve is set too high and the reservoir is overflowing.

Good Luck

GEM

• Like 3