Jump to content

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Morning all!

 

There is an art market in our town, so we will see what they have today.

Last year it was statuettes, paintings, handcrafted jewelry and stuff like that.

Didn't buy anything, but always fun to look.

So let's see what they offer today.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

I remember beetle traps being a staple of the summertime landscape growing up in PA. Now? I can't remember the last time I saw one hanging up anywhere. 

 

That's because we intentionally introduced parasites and predators specifically to deal with the Japanese Beetle. Because that's worked well in the past, right? Just ask Australia.

 

Also, my grandma died around midnight. I got word at 12:30, so I'm guessing it was probably just a little before then. But I'm not sad in the least. I'm happy. Not because I'm an uncaring broccoli, though I am a bit of one of those, but because it means I no longer have to watch her become even more of a vegetable and see how it hurts everyone in the family. She's no longer living, but in my mind she hasn't really been living for the past year and a half to two years as she increasingly lost her mental faculties and did nothing but bounce in and out of the hospital. She wasn't living then, she was merely existing. And she was miserable. Now she's not.

 

I can only hope that I don't end up like she was in her last few years. She didn't have it as bad as some, but she didn't have it good either.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Unruly said:

 

That's because we intentionally introduced parasites and predators specifically to deal with the Japanese Beetle. Because that's worked well in the past, right? Just ask Australia.

 

Also, my grandma died around midnight. I got word at 12:30, so I'm guessing it was probably just a little before then. But I'm not sad in the least. I'm happy. Not because I'm an uncaring broccoli, though I am a bit of one of those, but because it means I no longer have to watch her become even more of a vegetable and see how it hurts everyone in the family. She's no longer living, but in my mind she hasn't really been living for the past year and a half to two years as she increasingly lost her mental faculties and did nothing but bounce in and out of the hospital. She wasn't living then, she was merely existing. And she was miserable. Now she's not.

 

I can only hope that I don't end up like she was in her last few years. She didn't have it as bad as some, but she didn't have it good either.

 

My sympathies!

I understand what you're saying, quality of life is important and being sound of mind is a big part of that.

 

Remember her the way you knew and loved her.

Take care.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It has been quite the weekend.  I don't relish change for the most part, but it looks like there is plenty coming.  My partner agreed to marry me a few weeks ago ::D:, and we have been looking at houses for the next stage of life.  Now, I'm on the high end of ages for the Reaper Forum, so this is a second marriage in both cases, and the next stage is retirement.  ::o:  I have concluded that I should tell work that I will be planning to retire early next year, which means that I feel a moral obligation to get things ready for someone else to take over, which is going to add more stress.  We put in an offer on a house about half an hour from where we now live, and further from work, which is one of the factors going into the retirement decision.  

 

More to follow...but I think I'm going to go bicycle for a while to think.

 

 

 

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

It has been quite the weekend.  I don't relish change for the most part, but it looks like there is plenty coming.  My partner agreed to marry me a few weeks ago ::D:, and we have been looking at houses for the next stage of life.  Now, I'm on the high end of ages for the Reaper Forum, so this is a second marriage in both cases, and the next stage is retirement.  ::o:  I have concluded that I should tell work that I will be planning to retire early next year, which means that I feel a moral obligation to get things ready for someone else to take over, which is going to add more stress.  We put in an offer on a house about half an hour from where we now live, and further from work, which is one of the factors going into the retirement decision.  

 

More to follow...but I think I'm going to go bicycle for a while to think.

 

 

 

Congrats on both counts!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

It has been quite the weekend.  I don't relish change for the most part, but it looks like there is plenty coming.  My partner agreed to marry me a few weeks ago ::D:, and we have been looking at houses for the next stage of life.  Now, I'm on the high end of ages for the Reaper Forum, so this is a second marriage in both cases, and the next stage is retirement.  ::o:  I have concluded that I should tell work that I will be planning to retire early next year, which means that I feel a moral obligation to get things ready for someone else to take over, which is going to add more stress.  We put in an offer on a house about half an hour from where we now live, and further from work, which is one of the factors going into the retirement decision.  

 

More to follow...but I think I'm going to go bicycle for a while to think.

 

 

 

 

 

Oh, my gosh, Rob!   Such big news!   Congratulations on all counts!  

 

Now I see why you will have space for the Leonardo stuff.  :lol:

 

Will you be closer or further from Harf Co now? 

 

When are you going to tell the guys?

 

 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Rob Dean Early retirement is a great choice.. and you have the luck to share it with someone as you explore your growing relationship and also make the new domicile a home for both of you.

 

Enjoy!

 

PS. you are not that old..   there are a few of us slightly to a lot older.

Edited by robinh
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

@Unruly---I know exactly what you mean.

 

@Rob Dean---congratulations!

 

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

See, I'd tell him to elf the right the heck off. But then, on 4 hours of sleep I'm a grump monster that's not fit to be around people and have zero fox to give.

 

So would I.

It wouldn't matter how much/little sleep I'd had, though. People like that just irritate the hell out of me.

 

So, does anyone have a viable cure for the 'hobby butterfly' syndrome?

 

I came up with ideas for half a dozen different projects yesterday, and started 2 of them...

 

I need to FINISH something!!

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

It has been quite the weekend.  I don't relish change for the most part, but it looks like there is plenty coming.  My partner agreed to marry me a few weeks ago ::D:, and we have been looking at houses for the next stage of life.  Now, I'm on the high end of ages for the Reaper Forum, so this is a second marriage in both cases, and the next stage is retirement.  ::o:  I have concluded that I should tell work that I will be planning to retire early next year, which means that I feel a moral obligation to get things ready for someone else to take over, which is going to add more stress.  We put in an offer on a house about half an hour from where we now live, and further from work, which is one of the factors going into the retirement decision.  

 

More to follow...but I think I'm going to go bicycle for a while to think.

 

 

 

Fantastic news!! Congrats!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

 

Oh, my gosh, Rob!   Such big news!   Congratulations on all counts!  

 

Now I see why you will have space for the Leonardo stuff.  :lol:

 

Will you be closer or further from Harf Co now? 

 

When are you going to tell the guys?

 

 

 

Relatively soon.  I'll be finding room for Leonardo, since Renaissance (and NQSYW) is a "permanent" project, but there will be a lot of trimming to be done before the flea market at Barrage.

 

Somewhat farther, I'm afraid; heading out to Newark, Delaware, but it's still basically orbiting the same star. ::P:  Getting down for a GA game isn't going to be an issue.

30 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

 

@Rob Dean---congratulations!

 

So, does anyone have a viable cure for the 'hobby butterfly' syndrome?

 

I came up with ideas for half a dozen different projects yesterday, and started 2 of them...

 

Thanks!

 

Unfortunately, the best I can do on that is to suggest that you only allow one thing on the table at a time.  Upon moving, I'm probably going to be back to temporary hobby space, so that's what I'll be doing.

 

When you say project, but the way, are we talking about "a figure", "a terrain piece", or "two matching armies in a new period and a new scale"? :blink:

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...