Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In accordance with the Prophesy....I have returned!

Around the end of last month, I removed some items from the far shed not knowing that they had unwanted guests attached.

So I wound up spending the last few weeks fighting bedbugs again, but at least this time I was able to wipe them out. (when I was living at South Austin Marketplace, they would just retreat into someone else's room and wait out the bombs)

The last year has not been all that great and dealing with this again seemed to erase one of the few things I considered a victory, so the brain weasels set in for an extended siege. 

Reading from page 316 or so to here, I see that I'm not the only one hit with them and my sympathies to all who have been experiencing this. (In a more paranoid moment I couldn't help but notice that we all tend to get hit within a similar timeframe, leading me to question as to the randomness of these attacks. Which is very likely unfounded paranoia...but this isn't the first time I've noticed this happening. Perhaps it's seasonal or an ill astrological aspect.)

• Sad 10

11 hours ago, canuckotter said:

Pennies were still legal tender here for a while... Probably still are. They just aren't made any more, and cash prices are rounded off to the nearest nickel, but the existing pennies were (or are) still honoured.

True but like the old $1 and $2 notes (remember those?  Remember trying to break toonies when the news talked about that?) a lot of places are at the point where they won't take them.  Kind of like the 50 cent pieces you can get if you know who to talk to... 

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Banks will still accept them, but most businesses here won't. Now that they're no longer in circulation, they're probably becoming slowly more valuable.

I've seen ads offering anywhere from $0.05-0.10 depending on its age, so yup, slowly climbing up in apparent value, at least to collectors trying to round out what they have. 

... Saya the guy with stamps that are only a few cents face value but to the right collector could fetch upwards of $50 give or take.  I don't actively collect now, but it was a hobby twenty years ago and I've kept it since what else do you do with something that was gifted to you and has a lot of treasured memories, including a lot of the early aviation history in western Canada...   Well, at least air mail history anyways. 

6 hours ago, robinh said:

Actually that is not true...   We do have pennies as they were not taken out of circulation but all businesses now round up/down to the nearest nickle.  They do not make any more pennies though.. but the old ones are still legal currency.

Apparently I should read the whole thread before responding...:blush:

I won't lie, I don't really miss them, but then again, cash is a bit of a luxury to me as of late since I almost always pay with debit, even at the farmer's market... (about two thirds of the vendors at my local one have Square, or interac in general) 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I've been dreading this for a while now...

I just got finished bouncing numbers around, and It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to go to Reapercon this this year. It turns out that losing my job actually hurt me financially more than I thought it was going to. In addition to taking a pay cut, I also lost several non salary related chunks of income. I was a field service engineer ( which means that I drove all over creation to fix stuff at various locations ), as such I received a vehicle allowance (for gas, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc) as well as reimbursement for all mileage driven for business purposes. I failed to take that into account when I was doing my calculations.

As things stand, I will make approximately enough to cover my bills, but there isn't going to be much left besides.

Once our current lease is up (end of the year), we'll be moving somewhere cheaper, as we won't need as much space with one kid out on his own and the other making plans to go soon. Looking for a new job isn't entirely out of the question, but it's a last resort. I'm incredibly happy where I am, and I actually ENJOY what I do and going to work every day.  That counts for a lot, IMO. ( I also do really make a fairly decent wage, too) We've also taken a look at our expenses and made some cuts to things that weren't really necessary. Things wil work out eventually, it's just going to take a bit of time.

So, failing an unexpected windfall (I don't play the lottery, and my remaining relatives are in generally good health and I'd rather have them in my life anyway), I don't think I'll be able to make it. Hopefully next year I'll be able to go again.

Sorry to be a bummer, I hope you all have a good weekend.

Sorry to hear that.  You will be missed.

Silver lining:  I'll need one or two few bottles of Kraken. ::P:

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

In accordance with the Prophesy....I have returned!

Around the end of last month, I removed some items from the far shed not knowing that they had unwanted guests attached.

So I wound up spending the last few weeks fighting bedbugs again, but at least this time I was able to wipe them out. (when I was living at South Austin Marketplace, they would just retreat into someone else's room and wait out the bombs)

The last year has not been all that great and dealing with this again seemed to erase one of the few things I considered a victory, so the brain weasels set in for an extended siege. 

Reading from page 316 or so to here, I see that I'm not the only one hit with them and my sympathies to all who have been experiencing this. (In a more paranoid moment I couldn't help but notice that we all tend to get hit within a similar timeframe, leading me to question as to the randomness of these attacks. Which is very likely unfounded paranoia...but this isn't the first time I've noticed this happening. Perhaps it's seasonal or an ill astrological aspect.)

This is one of those things I'm absolutely terrified of having to deal with now that I live in an apartment building. And not just bed bugs, but pests in general. 

For some reason, goblins don't seem to be a problem... Maybe because @buglips*the*goblin's legitimate bizness keeps those stories under wraps? 

Busy day today. Need to do laundry, cooking for lunch boxes for the week, the last bit of homework for my college class, and visit the inlaws, which is what's going to take most of the day. Hoping to squeeze in some mini painting time... 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Pegazus said:

And I am now on another continent. Yay!

And no idea what time is at home. 

Not gonna look. Not gonna.

I don't know exactly where you are (yet--I'm still waiting on reports from a few agents),  and I'm not certain if different parts of Japan have different time zones, but I'm pretty sure that you're 15 or so hours ahead of your home time zone.

I'm helping!!:bday:

• Haha 9

36 minutes ago, hiddenone32 said:

Just made a portobello mushroom with egg, bacon, and cheese.  Was pretty good.  Now I need more coffee before doing some cleaning chores.

I just made waffles! But that sounds pretty awesome too!

• Like 6